Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A thread for everyone building their own home

A thread for everyone building their own home

Old Jun 15th 2006, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A thread for everyone building their own home

Originally Posted by toon williams
thought exactly the same!!
Scaredy cat!!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Don't know if mine counts as we are not building a single house but buying 'off the plan' on an estate by AVJennings. But here we are so far - steel frame, will be concrete walls and colourbond roof one day!
Attached Thumbnails A thread for everyone building their own home-new-image.jpg  
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:00 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

We're building in Perth with Perceptions. We've just done all the pre-start additional costs and they are due to get to site in August. I've attached a picture of what it 'should' look like.

If it turns out anywhere near as nice as these ones posted, we'll be dead chuffed!

Jules x

P.S We also looked at building with Dale Alcock (seemed very professional and a really nice guy). On our reccie we liked Novus homes, but in the space of the 9 months it took us to get our visa, sell up and move out, their house increased in price by $70,000! AND they wanted to put a 'loading' on the build cost as we're classed as non-metro! In Vogue and APG also offered a good service. We felt Perceptions gave the best value for money in terms of hosue size. good luck to everyone building!
Attached Thumbnails A thread for everyone building their own home-house-front.jpg  

Last edited by julesandco; Jun 16th 2006 at 1:03 am.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 6:23 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

We are building in Aubin Grove 20km south of Perth. We bought the plot through Remax and the house through the Homebuyers Centre. We've had to watch for additonal costs being slipped in without us noticing but other than that it all appears fine. Now where was that plot???!!! We'll update as things progress. They reckon it will take 14 months from deposit to finish.
Attached Thumbnails A thread for everyone building their own home-file9.jpg  

Last edited by wavy_davy; Jun 16th 2006 at 6:27 am.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

great to see all the photos of other peoples houses being built.

here is an update on ours
Attached Thumbnails A thread for everyone building their own home-inside-house-091.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-inside-house-094.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-inside-house-057.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-inside-house-052.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-inside-house-076.jpg  

Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the BASIX certificate today and wrote the cheque for planning application - $3500! AND it says at the bottom that it's only an estimate and they will increase the fee when they see the plans. Since I reckon the double glazing is going to cost almost what the council have used as the house cost in coming to the fee, I hate to think...........
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:31 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan
I have started this thread for everyone building their home, to submit photos and their experiences, good or bad of the building company they are using.

Seems alot of wooden framed and green site builds going on. Good luck to all of you. Was wondering if any have been doing subterrean work ie basement garage and or double brick builds?

We are looking to pull down existing house in Malvern and build 3 possibly 4 levels.

Kiwi
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Seems alot of wooden framed and green site builds going on. Good luck to all of you. Was wondering if any have been doing subterrean work ie basement garage and or double brick builds?

We are looking to pull down existing house in Malvern and build 3 possibly 4 levels.

Kiwi
We wanted to do a traditional double-brick build but were unable to meet the new "thermal efficiency" standards! This despite having twice the recommended loft insulation, wall insulation and floor insulation in tiled areas, plus thermal break windows with Pilkington K glass double glazing.

And we *have* to have a gas hob - not allowed to have an electric one. Words fail....
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:35 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We wanted to do a traditional double-brick build but were unable to meet the new "thermal efficiency" standards! This despite having twice the recommended loft insulation, wall insulation and floor insulation in tiled areas, plus thermal break windows with Pilkington K glass double glazing.

And we *have* to have a gas hob - not allowed to have an electric one. Words fail....
Thats interesting?? How does that work then - not being able to meet the TE standards? My wife is also GAS hob only. But we need it with wok cooking, so I am led to believe.

We decided on a smaller plot so we could spend more on the quality finishes and build.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thats interesting?? How does that work then - not being able to meet the TE standards? My wife is also GAS hob only. But we need it with wok cooking, so I am led to believe.

We decided on a smaller plot so we could spend more on the quality finishes and build.
It's all part of the NSW weird and wonderful BASIX requirements. Don't ask. You are going to VIC where they haven't had Bob Carr and his idiot politicians messing up people's lives!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 11:06 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A thread for everyone building their own home

And you have sorted somewhere to keep the boat!

Buzzy
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:02 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
And you have sorted somewhere to keep the boat!

Buzzy
The boat will sit too high to go in a conventional garage
So may have to go either marina or wait for your farm The legal width over here is limited to 2.5m before you need a serious towing vehicle.

Others apparently use their boats as overnight hotels when going to the Telstra for late night footy matches etc.

Kiwi
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:04 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Wol
It's all part of the NSW weird and wonderful BASIX requirements. Don't ask. You are going to VIC where they haven't had Bob Carr and his idiot politicians messing up people's lives!
My dad and his brother endured the hassles of planning permissions when they joined to homes together in Bondi Junction.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:17 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Nice hoose big man, Just curious, did they use the ootside brickwurk as a shutter for the fler

Deffinately not trying to hijack the thread but, slightly off the subject

Has anyone had a look at land lets say being sold as a single plot (Expensive)but maybe big enough for 2 x 4x2 semi detached and purchased together? the reason i`m asking is that the missus wants to build a 2 storey which would mean if we bought the likes of the Land size most of you guy`s on here have then we will have a bit more land than we really need

I know prob most if not all you guy`s on here would be delighted with a bit more space around you but i`m looking at it this way. Lets say theres a single plot for sale 800sqm with a frontage of 25mtr going for $250k. Has anyone had the thought that its too expensive and we only really need half the size so therefor although we would like to build in this area we CAN`T as the land is to expensive.

I know i`m going to get, it`s bad enough for one family to decide wher they want to build but almost imposible to get 2 family`s to look for something that would 100% suit bot of them

My other wee thought is, i would like to stay in a nice area for my kids AND dont need a BIG house and one of the main reasons i`m moving ( hopefully ) to Aus is for an outdoor lifestyle for the whole family so the living area isnt really that important as long as its comfortable feels like a home, and when i come home, mad with the beer i hit the floor after i bounce of the wall on one side and not bounce off the other wall

Finished slabbering!

Originally Posted by biggy
OK here ye go

Last edited by Sunny_Glesga; Jun 16th 2006 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

I think this thread is a great idea. Hopefully we can get many questions asked/answered thru the sharing of knowledge.

Ok...my questions are:

Does anyone know if once can employ a professional to oversea the purchase of land and contract with project home builder.

If so is this the norm? Are standard solictors used...or are there specific professionals who deal with land purchases/ project builds?

I'm concerned at many areas such as: "is it in the contract which you sign with a project builder to comply to Estate covenants? what if they don't comply...where do u stand?"

Thanks

TC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.