British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   A thread for everyone building their own home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/thread-everyone-building-their-own-home-366645/)

Marlo Apr 14th 2006 9:45 pm

Re: A thread for everyone building their own home

5 Attachment(s)
Hi There,

These are pics of our house, were in Melbourne, house is being plastered so will put pics on of the inside once that's done.

Any advice I could give would be don't go with the big companies regarding building, going on other peoples experiences and friends of ours too.

Good luck to everyone!

Loraine :beer:

Wendy Apr 14th 2006 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by karenjc
Love to be able to post a picture of our build but so far the land is 3 months behind schedule, so if anyone wants to see a lot of dirt I'll post that. Sorry to be a negative post :D .

Aw, at least you're still smiling. Hope it's not too long for you :)

To the others, wow what lovely houses. It must be sooooo exciting

Biggy, love your kitchen :)

Wol Apr 14th 2006 11:56 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Love to be able to post a picture of our build but so far the land is 3 months behind schedule, so if anyone wants to see a lot of dirt I'll post that. Sorry to be a negative post :D .

Same here, but here's an action photo of the site!

karenjc Apr 15th 2006 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Wol
Same here, but here's an action photo of the site!

Good looking dirt you got there :D

Wol Apr 15th 2006 12:10 am

Good looking dirt you got there :D

I think "a mix of dust and sawdust" describes it perfectly at present! (And the dust is blowing away......)

sunshinesarah Apr 15th 2006 4:51 am

1 Attachment(s)
Mine's a Coral - would build with them again.
On market if anyone's interested???

Sunshine Sarah

biggy Apr 15th 2006 9:14 pm

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by FloridaLee
More pics please. We're dead interested in seeing all the new houses that you guys out there are building. Not that we are nosey or anything :p

here is some more

biggy Apr 15th 2006 9:17 pm

5 Attachment(s)
a few more.......will need to get some updated ones on...mind you its been 7+ months since we moved in and we r still paintin lol

Teliko21 Apr 16th 2006 1:13 am

We are building a house but afraid I have no pics yet unless you are all interested in seeing the bore holes for the soil samples :D Building is scheduled to start in August.

TraceyW Apr 16th 2006 1:28 am

4 Attachment(s)
Here you go. We built with Summit Homes here in Perth. They have been great. They've completed on time and done everything to a good standard (Aussie standard that is!!!)

JaneandJim Apr 16th 2006 3:36 am

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some of ours from start to finish.

Koorabup Apr 17th 2006 7:23 pm

Hi,

Koorabup Apr 17th 2006 7:33 pm

Hi,
We struggled to find a builder that would hold a price, but finally went with Ross Squire Homes. We had no real problems except with the shortage of skilled (and sober...) labour. I would suggest getting a quote for the basic package and then adding on the rest, rather than trying to subtract items that you don't know the price of from the full package. Communications with anyone in this trade is a bit antique, with most communications unanswered unless they are by phone or face to face. The 'protected' trades of plumbing and electrics are a nightmare: It seems as if you employ them to do the job as they see fit. It is difficult to get a light switch put where you want it; and all of the doors on the plans open 'the wrong way' allowing views from the front door through the open bedroom door to the en-suite toilet pan. Our 'how to plan' book suggested being aware of this and moving the doorways. We just turned all of the doors around, and this enabled the light switches to fall to hand too.

cinderella Apr 17th 2006 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Here's some of ours from start to finish.

That is stunnung!! :)

biggy Apr 17th 2006 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by WendyC
Aw, at least you're still smiling. Hope it's not too long for you :)

To the others, wow what lovely houses. It must be sooooo exciting

Biggy, love your kitchen :)

Glad u like me kitchen...I have had mixed reactions from peeps...but hey we love it so thats all that matters :D