Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts? Workable or Feasible? Legal????

Thoughts? Workable or Feasible? Legal????

Old Aug 1st 2014, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts? Workable or Feasible? Legal????

I have UK bank accounts and use them for holidays/presents/buying from UK websites.

All have my address here in Aus as my residential address with no problems- OK I was resident in UK when I opened them, but they don't mind you moving!
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

ileay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Soozi
With all due respects to previous posters, why are you trying to do this by the back door? Why don't you go direct to the source itself - i.e. the banks - for accurate information?

Lloyds has a good website, for example, which even sets out what ID you need to open an account:

Lloyds Bank - Banking With Us - Moving To The UK - New To The UK

We have moved around between the UK, OZ and NZ for twenty-odd years, and have bank accounts in all three countries, with no problems. My UK bank is First Direct, which is internet-based, and I have found them to be very good. It is part of HSBC, so you can use their branches if you need to. We have no problems operating our UK accounts from OZ, where we are currently. We find it useful to have UK accounts to send presents, flowers etc to relatives, and of course we use our accounts when we go home to visit.
Soozi,
May I ask what correspondence address you gave your bank and has it caused any problems? I want to keep my Santander accounts when i move to Oz and I want them to send correspondence to Oz. Is it best to keep the accounts at a UK address or not?

Last edited by ileay; Aug 22nd 2014 at 4:22 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 1:43 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by junejuno
Soozi,
May I ask what correspondence address you gave your bank and has it caused any problems? I want to keep my Santander accounts when i move to Oz and I want them to send correspondence to Oz. Is it best to keep the accounts at a UK address or not?
Just contact Santander and tell them you're moving overseas but want to keep the account open but all correspondence should go to (insert address here). Shouldn't be a problem, most of us have a UK account for gifts and buying stuff from UK companies and not many of us have UK addresses.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

ileay is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks, that's great info.