Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Tasmania please

Thoughts on Tasmania please

Old Dec 9th 2003, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
hi
we are interested possoibly in tasmania but are worried about job opportunities...do you know any links for fact finding for teachers and statistics graduates? or any job links in general. looking forward to life in aus one day (~fingers crossed)
thanks
Try also:-

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/default.aspx

If you are in the UK watch 'A new life down under' on Ch4 on Thursday 11th Dec at 8.00 pm - Bicheno, Tasmania features.

OzTennis
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

pjr55 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by OzTennis
pjr55 - very interesting.
Co-incidentally next week's episode (Thurs 11th) of this new series showing in the UK (New life Down Under) which you'll see the odd thread about on the forum is about a couple from Lincolnshire who move to Bicheno to run a shop. The beaches and little towns on the east coast are terrific - stayed at Bicheno and Coles Bay a few times.

OzTennis
thanks OzTennis, yes i watched the first program new life down under last week, I didnt bother with the rest of them, and wouldnt give them my time, you could tell what sort of program it is, edited the way the producers want it for maximum provacation, probably does not reflect the participants views at all, would only present 20% of their comments to air and only those would be mostly negative, any positive comments would be edited out etc etc, therefore giving a totally different view to what the participants are trying to get across. I may be wrong, but knowing how the media works, I wont be watching any others at all.

Sunny_Samantha

Jobs are very hard to get in this state, it has the highest unemployment by far of all the states, a lot of people are employed in agriculture, many on a seasonal basis, many young people leave Tasmania for the mainland to find jobs, I would say this might be one of the hardest of states to be an employee.

you might try some of these links
http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/jobsandca...oving_tas.html
http://www.jobnet.org.au/index.cgi?page=9
http://www.servicetasmania.tas.gov.a...yment+services
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pjr55
thanks OzTennis, yes i watched the first program new life down under last week, I didnt bother with the rest of them, and wouldnt give them my time, you could tell what sort of program it is, edited the way the producers want it for maximum provacation, probably does not reflect the participants views at all, would only present 20% of their comments to air and only those would be mostly negative, any positive comments would be edited out etc etc, therefore giving a totally different view to what the participants are trying to get across. I may be wrong, but knowing how the media works, I wont be watching any others at all.

Sunny_Samantha

Jobs are very hard to get in this state, it has the highest unemployment by far of all the states, a lot of people are employed in agriculture, many on a seasonal basis, many young people leave Tasmania for the mainland to find jobs, I would say this might be one of the hardest of states to be an employee.

you might try some of these links
http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/jobsandca...oving_tas.html
http://www.jobnet.org.au/index.cgi?page=9
http://www.servicetasmania.tas.gov.a...yment+services
Yep, I know where you are coming from in not watching the series but running in the background is useful information on the migration process as well as views of the different areas. The carefully edited or real 'whingeing poms' in the first two tended to get in the way of this.

Tasmania has always had a poorer employment record than the other states and has fewer jobs in the service sector but it is scenically beautiful, the people (I found) are very friendly and if you are in something like teaching there will always be some jobs as long as there are sufficient children. You can always take the place of the youngsters who move to Australia (the mainland I'm only joking).

OzTennis
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

pjr55 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by OzTennis
Yep, I know where you are coming from in not watching the series but running in the background is useful information on the migration process as well as views of the different areas. The carefully edited or real 'whingeing poms' in the first two tended to get in the way of this.

Tasmania has always had a poorer employment record than the other states and has fewer jobs in the service sector but it is scenically beautiful, the people (I found) are very friendly and if you are in something like teaching there will always be some jobs as long as there are sufficient children. You can always take the place of the youngsters who move to Australia (the mainland I'm only joking).

OzTennis
Yes you're right OzTennis, as long as folks looking to emeigrate don't base their decision on what the editor has asked the participants to say in the program.. I've no time for it anyway. I'm here already

as for your second comment "scenically beautiful, the people (I found) are very friendly " can you just keep that to yourself please OzTennis , we're trying very hard not to get the place changed from our slow relaxed lifestyle that we love here, please dont encourage them too much, God! we have 3 full time ferries coming here now, thats bad enough