Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Tasmania please

Thoughts on Tasmania please

Old Dec 4th 2003, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

pjr55 will become famous soon enough

I've lived in Tasmania for over 7 years now after 22 years living in Perth and 25 years in England..... I wouldnt live anywhere else..

However, we do like to tell everyone there are icebergs floating around the coast all year round, the sun never shines, the island is permafrost all year round, it rains every single day, the temperature never gets above freezing etc etc etc ..... dont come here..... we dont want our lifestyle changing by over population.

If you are serious then PM me and like numerous others I'll help however I can.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pjr55
However, we do like to tell everyone there are icebergs floating around the coast all year round, the sun never shines, the island is permafrost all year round, it rains every single day, the temperature never gets above freezing etc etc etc ..... dont come here..... we dont want our lifestyle changing by over population.
You tell them the truth then? Only joking of course - lovely place.

Whereabouts are you in Tasmania? From our place we have in Melbourne we can watch the Spirit of Tasmania go out at night and come in next morning (well, there's 2, not the same one literally).

OzTennis
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Thanks pjr55 I have sent you a pm.

I've lived in Tasmania for over 7 years now after 22 years living in Perth and 25 years in England..... I wouldnt live anywhere else..

Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by OzTennis
You tell them the truth then? Only joking of course - lovely place.

Whereabouts are you in Tasmania? From our place we have in Melbourne we can watch the Spirit of Tasmania go out at night and come in next morning (well, there's 2, not the same one literally).

OzTennis
we live on the north west coast 7km south of Ulverstone, on a 9 acre property 600 feet ASL near a small village called North Motton, we can see the Spirit from our windows, it certainly moves faster than the old one dont you think? we've been on both ferries a few times to melbourne and back and hope to do the Sydney run next year when Spirit III come on line
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ahappychappy
Thanks pjr55 I have sent you a pm.
thanks, Ive replied already
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

we live on the north west coast 7km south of Ulverstone, on a 9 acre property 600 feet ASL near a small village called North Motton, we can see the Spirit from our windows, it certainly moves faster than the old one dont you think? we've been on both ferries a few times to melbourne and back and hope to do the Sydney run next year when Spirit III come on line
pjr55 - very interesting. I can go back to the days when I wore a younger man's clothes and to the old 'Empress of Tasmania' that I made a few crossings in with my family. We used to drive off at Devonport and tour the island - usually starting off around the north, going down the east coast to Hobart, up the middle and across to Queenstown etc. Pleasant memories. In the north west I mainly recall Stanley (and 'The Nut') where we stayed a couple of times.

Co-incidentally next week's episode (Thurs 11th) of this new series showing in the UK (New life Down Under) which you'll see the odd thread about on the forum is about a couple from Lincolnshire who move to Bicheno to run a shop. The beaches and little towns on the east coast are terrific - stayed at Bicheno and Coles Bay a few times.

OzTennis
Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Makes nice reading OzTennis,

Out of curiosity am I correct in assuming you are an Aussie? how did you end up living in Scotland?

pjr55 - very interesting. I can go back to the days when I wore a younger man's clothes and to the old 'Empress of Tasmania' that I made a few crossings in with my family. We used to drive off at Devonport and tour the island - usually starting off around the north, going down the east coast to Hobart, up the middle and across to Queenstown etc. Pleasant memories. In the north west I mainly recall Stanley (and 'The Nut') where we stayed a couple of times.

Co-incidentally next week's episode (Thurs 11th) of this new series showing in the UK (New life Down Under) which you'll see the odd thread about on the forum is about a couple from Lincolnshire who move to Bicheno to run a shop. The beaches and little towns on the east coast are terrific - stayed at Bicheno and Coles Bay a few times.

OzTennis
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Makes nice reading OzTennis,

Out of curiosity am I correct in assuming you are an Aussie? how did you end up living in Scotland?
The price (gratefully paid!) for meeting a Scot in Melbourne and getting married. She got very homesick after a number of years in Oz so we moved to the UK but will be moving back to Oz in the near future.

OzTennis
Old Dec 7th 2003, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck to you,

Which part of OZ are you bound for?

The price (gratefully paid!) for meeting a Scot in Melbourne and getting married. She got very homesick after a number of years in Oz so we moved to the UK but will be moving back to Oz in the near future.

OzTennis
Old Dec 8th 2003, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good luck to you,

Which part of OZ are you bound for?
Williamstown in Melbourne. We have a place on the waterfront looking across the bay to the city and hills beyond.

OzTennis
Old Dec 8th 2003, 9:42 am
Goodpubmisser

Tasmania is good for holidays and a slow relaxing life. If you can get a decent job then you are made.

However the same could be said about living a coastal village in Western Scotland - the only difference is that it is a bit colder.

For me living in Tasmania would be a slow death. Too boring and isolated.

This is my opinion only. At the end of that day it takes all types to make a world.

Old Dec 8th 2003, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

hi
we are interested possoibly in tasmania but are worried about job opportunities...do you know any links for fact finding for teachers and statistics graduates? or any job links in general. looking forward to life in aus one day (~fingers crossed)
thanks
Old Dec 8th 2003, 9:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look through www.seek.com.au - you can specify the State on there that you want to look at.

www.tas.gov.au has links to lots of Tassie sites which might help too.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Pollyana
Have a look through www.seek.com.au - you can specify the State on there that you want to look at.

www.tas.gov.au has links to lots of Tassie sites which might help too.
thanks pollyanna...will do
hope life down under is everything you wanted it to be.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 9:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its pretty good Samantha; takes a couple of weeks to realise you are actually here, and to stop looking for the return ticket though!
No regrets, I must say - a few things I miss, well, more people than things, but I don't regret coming, and would do the same again like a shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.