Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on London bombings

Thoughts on London bombings

Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:43 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on London bombings

Someone on the bbc website made a good point - that you dont need to import terrorists, any nutter will happily join a cause. They were citing the oklahoma bomber, una-bomber, etc. Wako, that japanes cult (whose name I forget but did the tokyo subways with sarin) that loony in london who blew up the gay pubs..etc.

Retribution attacks are inevitable in the UK, when you've got gangs of 14-20yr olds willing to beat someone to death over asking them to stop kicking footballs in the street, or over buillying at school, give them a 'bona fide' target like anyone without a white skin and they will switch to focus on that. Mindless yobs exist in all places - remember the peadophile riots when some of the morons even went after peadiatricians... what hope have you got of getting these idiots under control - perhaps immigration is the answer - but round up all these muppets and stick them on an island (but not my island , nbr 99, perhaps the Isle of White).

The 'religion' these terrorists claim to follow specifically is build around some pretty fundamental principles of caring for fellow man, it doesnt say anywhere you can go and blow up a bus any more than christian doctrines says you can blow up Omagh town centre. These people are crazy - look at that ass in Iraq who drove a suicide bomb car next to a humv that was surrounded by Children getting sweets and STILL decided to blow it up... Thats not islamism , its not even anti-US , that just murdered 24 of his countrymen's children.
Edit: I put 'religion' in quotes to show that these people can't be following it - I think Islam is a proud religion with good structures and guidance. Personally I am suspicious of any religious fanatic, born again christians scare me as much as fundamental muslims , oh .. or americans they're ultra religious loonies too , like George Dubbya reconciling his christian views with starting a war ? Ive never seen that argued properly.

Even the IRA sussed out that you cant keep blowing people up you have to just disrupt things - they switched to disabling infrastructure away from blowing up pubs and stuff. People dont mind a day off work - they do mind getting their legs blown off.

The only shocking thing here is the skill of whoever brainwashed these UK guys into doing this , it was clearly done in secret not like that tosser in the finsbury park mosque who finally got arrested and locked up. I think Paisley should've been locked up years ago for the same reason but I havent read enough on that to put it in writing , oh i just have , whoops. And just how the hell is Gerry Adams allowed to walk the streets... ;-)

Last edited by spalen; Jul 14th 2005 at 12:54 am.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu.E
this was a product of a tiny but violent minority, not a reflection of the wider muslim community. Spain, a new democracy that only within a generation had escaped from Fascism, showed more civility than Holland, often seens as most liberal country in the world.

I hope that Britain shows the innate liberalism and civility that Spain clearly has, or this will get worse before it gets better. "

The thing is... Britain has had to put up with bombs for two generations anyway, be it German bombs, IRA bombs, or now 'Ql Qaeda' bombs.

Its not new to the UK, so I don't envisage a huge swing against muslims.

There may be a bit more panic if a muslim leaves his bag on a bus though.

But its only natural. Its not racist or anti muslim, but its a fact. I'll bet everyone was checking out the muslims on the train this morning.

As for why they had to be 'suicide' bombers when they could quite easily have left the bag there and survived. I'll never understand. Its something to do with religion and brainwashing..

JTL
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:49 am
Just Joined

Klink is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just found out that one of the suicide bombers lived in the town I was born & brought up in (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire). Although I haven't lived there for many years it's still a bit of a shock that terrorists & potential terrorists could be right in your neighbourhood. Frightening stuff!

I'm now in Perth, by the way.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:56 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
One of the minor reasons we moved here was because I think there's going to be a WMD attach in London soon - a "dirty" bomb or a "suitcase nuke". - So, sorry BP, this was one of my reasons.

Just like I still can't work out why more Jews didn't leave for America during the late 1930's when the writing was on the wall for them.

Another thought about the bombings was thank god Australia has a sensible immigration policy, with good screening systems. A policy that includes a generous humanitarian stream taking refugees from UN camps from all over the world. A policy that deters families paying smugglers to take their "best" sons across the world in rickety boats to dump them on our beaches.

Another though is I can't believe how stupid these bombers were, it would have been so easy to have left the devices on the trains with a timer. Then every few days repeat the process, thus causing real terror, rather then just blowing themselves up. If you were serious about "terrorizing" that was plain dumb.
I could run around the world in fear of terror. When looked at in proportion any victim is very very unlucky. Dropping ones foot off the accelator decreases ones chances of not dieing. Migration does nothing for it.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Its not new to the UK, so I don't envisage a huge swing against muslims. JTL
The Muslim Council of Great Britain didn't share your optimism unfortunately and were advising Muslim to stay indoors for a while.

A shame really, but unfortunately there *are* a lot of ignorant people in Britain happy to be whipped into a frenzy by the tabloids. I expect the Sun/Mail etc were very disappointed to find out these guys were British born.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu.E
The Muslim Council of Great Britain didn't share your optimism unfortunately and were advising Muslim to stay indoors for a while.

A shame really, but unfortunately there *are* a lot of ignorant people in Britain happy to be whipped into a frenzy by the tabloids. I expect the Sun/Mail etc were very disappointed to find out these guys were British born.

I really hope not, was there a huge swing against the Irish every time the IRA set off a bomb?

I hope its only temporary, the Sun/Mail are scum anyway.

And on an Ozzie note, I hope there is not a swing against them here, but ahhhh, can I bring myself to say this..... Its understandable if people are a bit more wary around Muslims. I mean sod PC, if a muslim gets on a bus now with a huge backpack, its only natural that everyone will crap themselves.

Sorry, had to say it,

JTL
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Migration does nothing for it.
It would have saved the lives of all the jews from Europe who did it before WW2.

Obviously I hope this never happens to prove my point but I believe my family is safer from terrorism in Perth than they were in the SE of England, particularly when the nuke goes off.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:10 am
aussie73

l hope they don't get a hold of a nuke, they are definitely crazy enough to use it. Was'nt some Pakistani nuclear scientist caught giving terrorists nuclear technology.

Last edited by aussie73; Jul 14th 2005 at 1:18 am.

Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

And on an Ozzie note, I hope there is not a swing against them here, but ahhhh, can I bring myself to say this..... Its understandable if people are a bit more wary around Muslims. I mean sod PC, if a muslim gets on a bus now with a huge backpack, its only natural that everyone will crap themselves.

Sorry, had to say it,

JTL

Would be an interesting forum if we did say what we thought more often.

This is what I think, anyone who has been to melbourne or sydney lately must have noticed, especially inner city, they are both just as multi cultural as anywhere in the UK. The chances of finding people with extreme religious, racial or political beliefs must be just as high as anywhere else now.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:25 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly JTL -

So who didnt look twice at any 'muslim' looking (!) people getting onto airplanes after 9/11.... this means arabic rather than 'cat stevens'.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I could run around the world in fear of terror. When looked at in proportion any victim is very very unlucky. Dropping ones foot off the accelator decreases ones chances of not dieing.
I've found that staying in my house with all the doors locked and all the shutters shut helps. I haven't died yet.

Or is that not the point of life....

Ohhh I'm getting all philosophical.

Anyway, life is risk, its about peoples comfort level of risk. Mine is hiding under the bed in a darkened room with a laptop typing on this forum.

JTL
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

One of the minor reasons we moved here was because I think there's going to be a WMD attach in London soon - a "dirty" bomb or a "suitcase nuke". - So, sorry BP, this was one of my reasons.

Just like I still can't work out why more Jews didn't leave for America during the late 1930's when the writing was on the wall for them.

Another thought about the bombings was thank god Australia has a sensible immigration policy, with good screening systems. A policy that includes a generous humanitarian stream taking refugees from UN camps from all over the world. A policy that deters families paying smugglers to take their "best" sons across the world in rickety boats to dump them on our beaches.

Another though is I can't believe how stupid these bombers were, it would have been so easy to have left the devices on the trains with a timer. Then every few days repeat the process, thus causing real terror, rather then just blowing themselves up. If you were serious about "terrorizing" that was plain dumb.
Or a bomb at Waterloo station, given the number of people there at peakhour.

Don't forget that Australia has Indonesia as it's closest neighbour, with a population of over 200 million, there could easily be some fanatics with their eyes set on Aus.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:37 am
ah-beng

It would have saved the lives of all the jews from Europe who did it before WW2.

Obviously I hope this never happens to prove my point but I believe my family is safer from terrorism in Perth than they were in the SE of England, particularly when the nuke goes off.

You dont live close to any Animal Research centres, or Abortion Clinics do you ? those places can get pretty hairy.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Pre-war Germany and modern Britain are incomparable. Does Richard and Judy have the final solution or am I missing something?
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:14 am
Banned

Dirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant futureDirk Gently has a brilliant future

Pre-war Germany and modern Britain are incomparable. Does Richard and Judy have the final solution or am I missing something?

Judy's hot!!! For a fifty something alcoholic fat bird. Or am I missing something

Dirk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.