Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts/ feelings on migration day ?

Thoughts/ feelings on migration day ?

Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thoughts/ feelings on migration day ?

Hi All

Flying out to Perth on friday.

Just wondered how you all felt on migration week ? i'm mentally tired, and it all feels surreal, can't take in what will be happening soon at all.

Amid the tearful goodbyes and final arrangements just feel a sense of sadness, like a bereavement . Want to feel "up for it" but not happening yet...is this normal ? or is it me ? hmmmm

I do know my mindset will change though I think once we touch down in Perth

Dave

Last edited by mindblower; Jun 4th 2008 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:12 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thoughts/ feelings on migration day ?

Originally Posted by mindblower
Hi All

Just wondered how you all felt on migration week ? im, mentally tired, and it all feels surreal, can't take in what will be happening soon at all.

Amid the tearful goodbyes and final arrangements just feel a sense of sadness, like a bereavement . Want to feel "up for it" but not happening yet...is this normal ? or is it me ? hmmmm

Dave
I think your feelings are normal. I have days like that & I haven't even sold my house yet
I know when i do finally have a date to go i'll be a complete mess....
Goodluck with your move & i'm sure you'll be fine once your there
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Perfectly normal!

The last week is surreal. All those goodbyes. All the thoughts of 'sh1t' are we doing the right thing? Are we mental? Is life here really that bad? How will we live without friends and family?

Day before you fly out....

Why are our friends and families giving us gifts that weighs a TONNE that will NOT fit in our suitcases, or will beep at security? Why didn't they give us these things last week when we had a less than full 20ft container? Why are we now dumping the things that we thought we could not live without for more than 24hrs to include the gifts that weigh a TONNE, but are now suddenly (24 hrs old) the best/most important things to take with us?

Reality check..... This is the FIRST DAY of THE REST OF OUR LIVES!

Get to the airport, check in, grab a coffee, walk, (you are going to be in cattle class for the next 24 hrs).

Perth is waiting for you. I'm told that It's beautiful there!

Be VERY thankful that you have the opportunity to emigrate!

Get ready to try something new, and enjoy what is on offer here. Many others would give anything to be where you are right now.

M
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

[/QUOTE]

Good reply that Machiavelli- cheers- your right, spot on.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:03 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mindblower
Hi All

Just wondered how you all felt on migration week ? i'm mentally tired, and it all feels surreal, can't take in what will be happening soon at all.

Dave
I am a 90 kilo hairy-arsed bloke but when I sat on that plane on to leave England I cried my eyes out like a baby!!!

Grab a drink, enjoy the flight, you will go through quite a few emotions!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:07 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
I am a 90 kilo hairy-arsed bloke but when I sat on that plane on to leave England I cried my eyes out like a baby!!!

Grab a drink, enjoy the flight, you will go through quite a few emotions!
I felt like crying when I saw our plane on the tarmac and wanted to cry/vomit as I walked down the tunnel.

Suprisingly enough when we took off, I remember thinking that take off seemed to go on forever and when we left the ground I just said 'Goodbye London'.

This was met by 'what the hell have we done' when we landed in Perth.

I truly believe that nothing can prepare you for the emotions that you go through on the day you emigrate - just how painful it can be to leave loved ones and just how ill you feel on that day through stress.

I look back on my piccies on the day we migrated and I look as though I have died and been stuffed.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:12 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave,

you seem to have waited for this moment for such a long time now!

I stayed with my sister for a week before we left, I tried to pretend we were just going on holiday..... I still feel like I am on holiday

It was awful saying goodbye to people, they were more upset than we were. We were coming out to live our dream and we are!

Good luck Dave, one word of serious advice though.......

....don't forget your passport!

Jackie
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Will do Jackie -lol
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

happydays71 is an unknown quantity at this point

That feeling's started to set in already and we're not due to leave for another 3 months!

Our current situation isn't helping either: We had plans to sell our house, take £100k, change it for around $250K, buy a nice house and have a mortgage of around £100k..simple eh?!? It turns out we can't sell the house, so we have to rent it out - extra outlay to get it rentable and no real amount of money to take with us. We're hoping it can stay rented for 2 or 3 years so it doesn't cost us anymore, by which time, hopefully the UK housing market will be settled again and maybe we can sell it, finally get out of rented housing in Oz and buy our dream home. However, this may be a blessing in disguise as the exchange rate is currently so rubbish that even if we had the money we wouldn't want to change it anyway I know I'm not alone in this quandry, but it does compound the unsettled feeling somewhat.

We're still going ahead with it all, as after the work that's gone in to getting this far, not going isn't an option - besides, I still think it will be the best thing we've ever done

Reading this thread has helped me to confirm my belief in this - nice one! I shall show the OH when i get home.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

[ D[/QUOTE]

Had same hopes on house sale/exchange rate....ah well you can only respond to the situation you find yourself in- best o luck..

Dave
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:24 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I felt fine - right up until the point when my five year old son and (slightly older) wife, burst into tears on the plane, before we'd even 'pushed off' at Heathrow ...

I don't think anyone goes through it completely unscatched.

Sorry.

(At least I'm honest).