Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

thoughts on areas in melbourne, adelaide,perth good /bad

thoughts on areas in melbourne, adelaide,perth good /bad

Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

stacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant future
Default thoughts on areas in melbourne, adelaide,perth good /bad

could some of you give some pointers (good or bad )please on any of the areas whether its adelaide, perth, melbourne, have been to brisbane and melbourne but 3 and a bit years ago now, just building up research to help in deciding, universties, schools, football teams (soccer) etc etc have 4 children 3 boys 17,13,7 and a daughter 10, any info will be greatly received
thanks
ps im hoping it doesnt cause any arguements on here
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: thoughts on areas in melbourne, adelaide,perth good /bad

Originally Posted by stacey31
could some of you give some pointers (good or bad )please on any of the areas whether its adelaide, perth, melbourne, have been to brisbane and melbourne but 3 and a bit years ago now, just building up research to help in deciding, universties, schools, football teams (soccer) etc etc have 4 children 3 boys 17,13,7 and a daughter 10, any info will be greatly received
thanks
Be prepared for alot of conflicting replies as your asking about 3 large cities and everyone's perception will be different. It would be better to break it down to one city that way you won't get confused about the different answers.

I've only ever been to Perth (sor) so here's my tuppence worth. Perth caters for families and is currently having a boom with mining jobs. The cost of living compared to the Uk is higher although I believe wages reflect this. I've only stayed in the Rockingham area and I liked it as it was still close enough to the cbd. Perth in general caters for families very well with plenty of parks with free bbq's.

Rockingham also has it's own footbal club with two very modern pitches.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Be prepared for alot of conflicting replies as your asking about 3 large cities and everyone's perception will be different. It would be better to break it down to one city that way you won't get confused about the different answers.

I've only ever been to Perth (sor) so here's my tuppence worth. Perth caters for families and is currently having a boom with mining jobs. The cost of living compared to the Uk is higher although I believe wages reflect this. I've only stayed in the Rockingham area and I liked it as it was still close enough to the cbd. Perth in general caters for families very well with plenty of parks with free bbq's.

Rockingham also has it's own footbal club with two very modern pitches.

And theres a soccer academy for serious soccer kids too....

See

Sorted

And no arguements...

Rockingham it is!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

stacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant futurestacey31 has a brilliant future

thank you eddie007, thats sorted it then my eldest will be very happy!
i know its alot to get your head around ive been researching lots and lots over 3 and a half years and travelled around australia for a month , we are planning to come over this year to stay and trying to get some ideas of places so we can actually travel to adelaide and perth to have a good look around, can never have enough info !
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

thank you mvagusta too, much appreciated
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:30 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
I your kids are sport orientated, go to Melbourne.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

cominghometomel is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up in Bundoora, Melbourne... It and the surrounding area are very nice, Greensborough, Macloud, Watsonia etc. Its about 30mins from the city by train but is very bushy, lots of trees, you get snakes in the garden etc. People are nice and so are the schools.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cominghometomel
I grew up in Bundoora, Melbourne... It and the surrounding area are very nice, Greensborough, Macloud, Watsonia etc. Its about 30mins from the city by train but is very bushy, lots of trees, you get snakes in the garden etc. People are nice and so are the schools.
This might not be a selling point!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: thoughts on areas in melbourne, adelaide,perth good /bad

thanks

Work out where you can get a good job or the best chance of one and then go for that city.

If you haven't got any income then all the rest is just fantasy.

BB
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:56 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I've never seen a snake in all my life in Australia if that helps.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:09 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
And theres a soccer academy for serious soccer kids too....

See

Sorted

And no arguements...

Rockingham it is!
I knew a man in Rockingham years ago who was a bomb maker for a group seeking liberation somewhere in the Continent of Africa.
He was a very respectable,upper class,white Brit.
You just never know who you could end up living next to in Rockingham!