Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thought I should tell those of you applying for citizenship....

Thought I should tell those of you applying for citizenship....

Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thought I should tell those of you applying for citizenship....

...that we have ours!

So, it does happen eventually. We were eligible from Aug 07 but getting police reports took much longer than expected.

Interesting bit at the ceremony. The mayor said something along the lines of:

"....You all come from different countries. You are not expected to lose your identity and culture. This is particularly true for those of you from the United Kingdom - our mother country. We appreciate that you have left a country which is much more culturally rich and intellectually capable than your new place of abode. We thank you for your sacrifice"

So that's it.
All done.
We came, we saw, we got citizenship.

Flights back home booked for next week.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:35 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thought I should tell those of you applying for citizenship....

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

"....You all come from different countries. You are not expected to lose your identity and culture. This is particularly true for those of you from the United Kingdom - our mother country. We appreciate that you have left a country which is much more culturally rich and intellectually capable than your new place of abode. We thank you for your sacrifice"
lol!

And congrats. My missus and son are up for theirs in July.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
lol!

And congrats. My missus and son are up for theirs in July.
Thanks.

I actually quite enjoyed the ceremony.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:01 am
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats NKSK
Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

...that we have ours!

So, it does happen eventually. We were eligible from Aug 07 but getting police reports took much longer than expected.

So that's it.
All done.

Well done N.
Welcome to the club.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Well done N.
Welcome to the club.
Thanks.
I was thinking last night that it has been a long process and I suppose it is quite daunting for those just starting out.

We first came on holiday here at the end of 2000. We submitted our 136 application in Oct 2002. So all in all it's taken us five and a half years from first submitting documentation to receiving citizenship.

I felt quite sorry for my youngest daughter. All she kept saying during the ceremony was "But I want to be English!"
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I felt quite sorry for my youngest daughter. All she kept saying during the ceremony was "But I want to be English!"
One of my daughters still says the day we became Aussie citizens was the worst day of her life.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
One of my daughters still says the day we became Aussie citizens was the worst day of her life.
I can identify with that. The most sh*t I have to put up with here, the less I want to be part of the country.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:35 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

...that we have ours!

So that's it.
All done.

Congrats.

I didn't realise you were heading back home!

A friend of mine applied for her ceremony on 5th March. She is having it on 5th May. Took 8 weeks, not bad going. Hope it's as quick for us.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz

I didn't realise you were heading back home!

I'm not - yet. It was an ill-conceived attempt at winding up the born-again Australians who think the place is truly wonderful and that coming here for the passport is a mortal sin.

I seem to be doing that a lot recently but will try to stop.

Thanks for the congrats
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Keep telling her that she may one day appreciate it. And that's she's first and foremost and English rose.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:43 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I'm not - yet. It was an ill-conceived attempt at winding up the born-again Australians who think the place is truly wonderful and that coming here for the passport is a mortal sin.

I seem to be doing that a lot recently but will try to stop.

Thanks for the congrats
Oh, i fell for it this time I noticed the sarcasm in other posts though

But i agree.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Keep telling her that she may one day appreciate it. And that's she's first and foremost and English rose.
I do, I tell her she will always be English and nothing can change that. She's 9 years old today BTW.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
I was thinking last night that it has been a long process and I suppose it is quite daunting for those just starting out.

We first came on holiday here at the end of 2000. We submitted our 136 application in Oct 2002. So all in all it's taken us five and a half years from first submitting documentation to receiving citizenship.

She will be whatever she wants to be.
You have a similar timeframe to us. We submitted ours in March 2003 although I started gathering information in late 2001. 6 years later it's complete.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I do, I tell her she will always be English and nothing can change that. She's 9 years old today BTW.
Happy birthday

and congrats to the OP

curious, why did you have to get police checks though? we didnt....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.