Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

thought getting the visa was the had part

thought getting the visa was the had part

Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thought getting the visa was the had part

how wrong i was, now the stress is beginning to kick in, house goes on the market on monday, shippers coming round next week, parent getting stressed over me going (especially as there is only me and my brother and he announced to my dad on boxing day he has applied for a posting to canberra) glad to go to work sometimes so i cant have a drink otherwise i would be a complete lush

do we all feel like this after the initial euphoria of getting the visa is over

arlene
Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:11 pm
WBB

Default Re: thought getting the visa was the had part

Originally posted by arlene
how wrong i was, now the stress is beginning to kick in, house goes on the market on monday, shippers coming round next week, parent getting stressed over me going (especially as there is only me and my brother and he announced to my dad on boxing day he has applied for a posting to canberra) glad to go to work sometimes so i cant have a drink otherwise i would be a complete lush

do we all feel like this after the initial euphoria of getting the visa is over

arlene
i would gladly swap places with you, no visa here yet and nights are becoming sleepless.

Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

wbb, dont have bags under my eyes anymore but containers

arlene
Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing past posts have shown is that the visa is the easier bit. Now you have the following stresses

Selling the house (one of the most stressful times in anyones lives)

Packing

Timing the flights and resignations around the above

Saying goodbye and all the attached emotions.

24 hour flight

Buying a house somewhere you have little knowledge of and in an unfamiliar legal system

Hoping packed goods arrive in reasonable time and state

Unpacking

Getting a new job in an unfamiliar envirnoment

Getting used to the locals.

There is plenty more that I have missed but anyone who thinks getting the visa is the end of the stress is mistaken. Selling the house seems to cause the most stress to the emigrant.

Enjoy it
Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:14 pm

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i would gladly swap places with you, no visa here yet and nights are becoming sleepless.

How are your references going?
Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

The hard part might well be trying to still sell your house whilst in Australia, feeling homesick, watching the dollar srengthen against the pound so your assets are devaluing, trying to find a home/job/school for the kids/car.

Expect to spend a minimum of 6 months of roller coaster emotions. After that you may decide you like what you've done enough to stay.

Don't discount the possibility that you miss things from home too much and want to repeat the whole experience in reverse.

In our case it took about a year before we were settled enough to even start making a judgement - the result long term is still not 100% certain.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:18 pm
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom
How are your references going?

have them in hand and ready to post off on monday, they have everything else so a yes/no should be pretty quick.

Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Arlene,

It definately starts once the visas arrive. I've been in such a flurry of activity since ours came in Nov. that christmas arrived without me noticing. I then decided to forget about Oz (other than my daily fix on here) and enjoy my last UK xmas but it has been so emotional (I feel OK but family and friends are behaving as though we are dying) that I now feel completely drained and unable to face many more scenes. We've got 7 weeks yet!

Good luck with the house sale,

Michaela
Old Jan 1st 2004, 11:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Arlene,
The easy bit is over! Get stuck into the bottle, you'll need it. Its at this point that you need to keep reminding yourself that it'll all be worth it in the end

WBB - Good luck mate; I'm sure you'll be fine this time!
Old Jan 1st 2004, 11:45 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Pollyana
Arlene,
The easy bit is over! Get stuck into the bottle, you'll need it. Its at this point that you need to keep reminding yourself that it'll all be worth it in the end

WBB - Good luck mate; I'm sure you'll be fine this time!
cheers polly, once they go off on monday it will be a nail biting few weeks, would be nice to get this sorted quickly because we are going to fly over for a 6 week validation trip in march.

hopefully this will coincide with the next brisbane meet.

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:14 am

Originally posted by welshboybilly
cheers polly, once they go off on monday it will be a nail biting few weeks, would be nice to get this sorted quickly because we are going to fly over for a 6 week validation trip in march.

hopefully this will coincide with the next brisbane meet.
What was the vicar like? Did he try and bash the fear of gawd into you for your past sins?
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:24 am
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom
What was the vicar like? Did he try and bash the fear of gawd into you for your past sins?
did'nt ask him in the end, i felt a bit bad going to ask him when i never go to church and am an atheist!!

i have got one from work and a couple from mates (one of which is a copper) and the bird and i have written (and re-written several times) our own statement.

fingers crossed.

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Billy, have my fingers crossed for you!