Reload this Page >

Though I may be stoopid!

Though I may be stoopid!

Old Apr 19th 2004, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

morganj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Though I may be stoopid!

I know this daft to ask, but heh-ho:

If asked for your nationality on the job hunting front, how do you say it without giving too much of the game away (apart from the obviousness of a non-Australia accent).

Is it: British with PR? Is it: oh forget it.
Any suggestions out there?

Thanking you...
Old Apr 19th 2004, 2:28 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Though I may be stoopid!

Originally posted by morganj

If asked for your nationality on the job hunting front, how do you say it without giving too much of the game away (apart from the obviousness of a non-Australia accent).

Thanking you...
Won't matter if you've got your PR, your accent will stand out a mile so you'll be classed as a pom. Then the game is most definitely up!!!

I think it all depends on the employer, from the tiny ammount of interviews I actually managed to get most seemed either biased because we hadn't been here long (even though I was born in OZ?) or towards the fact that I had children. Good luck either way
Old Apr 19th 2004, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, but you know these websites that ask you for your nationality, what about then? Also, when you write your resume/CV/whatever you're expected to put your nationality...aren't you?

I just want to get a foot in the door before they have a chance to realise I'm a whingeing pom!

BTW: Why are you heading back to the UK? Had enough? Prefer it back in the UK? Just interested...
Old Apr 19th 2004, 4:00 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Do the Aussies really treat you like whinging Poms??? I'm Scottish so neither a Whinge or a Pom But I know a few English families out here in Melbourne & they have never had any problems with the Aussies in fact they probably get more respect than a lot of people back in UK gave them. I'm sure its just a Myth that every Aussie is going to think your a whinging Pom just because you come from England.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

I don't know if the Aussie's would differentiate you from the English when it comes to whingeing poms name calling. Sure they understand that we have separate countries in the UK but I don't think it matters. What are your experiences janeyray?

I'm Welsh but expect (having read other posts) to get a bit of a tough time or to be discriminated against for mentioning my nationality via a CV or website registration. I hope you're right though Bordy.

===================
Just for info: I'm looking to get a job over in Oz before I leave the UK.

My master plan (that is destined to succeed - ahem ) is to secure a job in Oz before I depart, and if that fails - which it won't of course , I don't want to pussyfoot around spending months applying using a British CV for an Australia market, where they will put me to the bottom of the pile because of my nationality.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 4:22 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

5 Years here now & never had a hint of any discrimination because I'm from UK. If your the best man for the job being Welsh, English, Scots or Irish won't stop you getting it. In fact the impression I get is the opposite, that people from the UK make better workers than a lot of the layed back Aussies. I wish you luck finding a job before you come out but keep an open mind, Australia is made up of many people from all over the world, I promise you they won't pick on a poor wee Welshman.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

I promise you they won't pick on a poor wee Welshman.
Who said anything about being little? lol

I'm really pleased to learn that you've had 5 years out there and have had no problems. And in fact, they are more likely to employ you. Music to my ears.

Did you put your nationality i.e. British, down on your CV? I'm guessing yes, because you've had no problems with the Aussie people and culture.

If your the best man for the job
mmm...nope. Well that's me screwed then! lol
Old Apr 19th 2004, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Just for info: I'm looking to get a job over in Oz before I leave the UK.
Some posts suggest that having 'UK' on your CV may be a disadvantage. I'm unconvinced it's limited to those from the UK - being 'a foreigner' in Oz is generally unlikely to help your job prospects.

Probably bigger disadvantages are likely to be: i) lack of Oz experience; ii) lack of Oz qualifications.

IMO Aussies tend to be risk-averse so the above 2 points are likely to make it tougher to find work - unless you work in an area that is really in demand.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:10 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

More about if you're bright eyed and wag your bushy tail or carry it twixt your legs and look set to cut and run.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

i) lack of Oz experience; ii) lack of Oz qualifications.
I certainly lack Oz experience, but will be getting a crash course on that one soon enough!

Lacking Oz qualifications? Mmm...I dunno. I've got myself a high grade in a degree and several years of IT experience, but am unsure how our education system matches to theirs.

Going back to my query though, what did/have you guys put down on your CV?

1. Nationality: British, but with PR
2. Nationality: British
3. <nationality excluded>

It's interesting that they are doing the same in the UK now. They are asking for a citizenship/working visa to be accepted for a job. Imagine that you in your parent's day ! ? ! Perish the thought.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 7:41 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

I certainly lack Oz experience, but will be getting a crash course on that one soon enough!

Lacking Oz qualifications? Mmm...I dunno. I've got myself a high grade in a degree and several years of IT experience, but am unsure how our education system matches to theirs.

Going back to my query though, what did/have you guys put down on your CV?

1. Nationality: British, but with PR
2. Nationality: British
3. <nationality excluded>

It's interesting that they are doing the same in the UK now. They are asking for a citizenship/working visa to be accepted for a job. Imagine that you in your parent's day ! ? ! Perish the thought.
Why not:
"Nationality: Pommie trying for Aussie"

Wouldn't want to work for a glum bastard would you?
Old Apr 20th 2004, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Megalania
Why not:
"Nationality: Pommie trying for Aussie"

Wouldn't want to work for a glum bastard would you?
For sure, at least they may think you have a unique personality! That's not to say that they will see it positively, but they will think you unique.

Then again, they may think you're trying to moving in on some aussie woman. But then that's just me.

What did you do on your CV?
Old Apr 20th 2004, 7:55 am
Banned

For sure, at least they may think you have a unique personality! That's not to say that they will see it positively, but they will think you unique.

Then again, they may think you're trying to moving in on some aussie woman. But then that's just me.

What did you do on your CV?
Nationality: True Blue Bronzed Son Of Godzone - except where the sun don't shine and what with me broad brimmed hat that's about 95%.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Megalania
Nationality: True Blue Bronzed Son Of Godzone - except where the sun don't shine and what with me broad brimmed hat that's about 95%.
Ah, okay. I gets you, I gets you. Anyone else who's a Brit then?
Want to share your experiences with a poor wee Welshman?(thanks Bordy: I can use that now!)
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanking you...

The other way around on my CV here in the UK I have put -

Nationality: Australian with Permanent UK Residency

I have never had any problems with this wording in getting employment or considered for employment.

Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.