Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

for those of you in oz with kids...........

for those of you in oz with kids...........

Old Jun 12th 2005, 5:32 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking for those of you in oz with children..........

are kiddie colds as frequent in oz!!!!!!!!!.............. it might be only me but i am so fed up with my girls having colds, i have three girls and i am forever wiping noses!! i have a real thing about it, you can guarantee when i pick the two youngest up from nursery i wipe both their noses within seconds of seeing them, and beacuse nobody has been wiping it regularly it is caked!! pardon anyone that may have just eaten or about too........... i am really interested to know if they are as common in australia - what with the nicer more constant temperatures.

amanda

Last edited by amanda76; Jun 12th 2005 at 5:58 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 5:40 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: for those of you in oz with kids...........

Originally Posted by amanda76
are kiddie colds as frequent in oz!!!!!!!!!.............. it might be only me but i am so fed up with my girls having colds, i have three girls and i am forever wiping noses!! i have a real thing about it, you can guarantee when i pick the two youngest up from nursery i wipe both their noses within seconds of seeing them, and beacuse nobody has been wiping it regularly it is caked!! pardon anyone that may have just eaten or about too........... i am really interested to know if they are as common in australia - what with the nicer more constant temperatures.

amanda

God knows about kids but me (27) had the flu (full on puking etc etc) at least 3 times a year and pretty much a constant cold in the UK winter (I also had the flu jab yearly), I have now been here 7.5 months and have not had the flu at all (no flu jab) and have had 3 1 day colds.

For me the move has been very good for my health, however I know others on this site would disagree.

I live in Geraldton which is 4-5 hrs north of Perth on the west coast, maybe location makes a difference

Kala
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Been here 6 months, eldest caught a cold from a newly arrived Brit, lasted 2 days, other than that not a thing and with 3 children that's pretty good going. Touch wood!!!!

Lindsey
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

nanci will become famous soon enoughnanci will become famous soon enough

We seem to have been hit big time with colds and flu, but I am hoping it is because it is our first full winter here and we will build up some resistance by next year.

Certainly at the moment one of us always seems to have a cold/flu!!!

Nanci
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:59 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sick of always having a cold. I went back to work in September last year after 6 months maternity leave, and since then I have had a constant cold. The aircon in the office is so crap, anything going, I seem to be getting it. I havent slept in almost 3 days because of a constant cough every time I lay down.

Harry started nursery at the same time, and I am always wiping his nose.

I spent a year in Oz on a whv, and 6 months in NZ, and didnt even get at much as a sniffle.

Claire
xx
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been here a year nearly (God, I've survived!) me, hubby and two little ones of 5 & 2. Not so much as a real sniffle......until three weeks ago!

I developed pneumonia :scared: and both the kids are full of coughs and colds...thankfully not pneumonia.

We haven't had so many bugs as we would've had in the UK...but they're bloody bigger bugs over here if you ask me!!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Same bugs, kids in classrooms, childcare still pick up the same germs, tummy troubles in summer and colds and coughs in winter. Biggest prob in summer is pool partys why dont people keep the chlorine etc up when they know 20 kids are coming over?, really common for a dose of gastro after a pool party

One thing I thought was better here was hospitals, superbugs, until last night! they took swabs in hospitals and 75% of the swabs came back infected with superbug bacteria :scared: drink machines, lift buttons, phones and medicine trolleys scored highest, good article they showed in Holland superbugs are virtually non existant simply because hand washing is enforced.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 1:27 am
julie

jul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the roughjul44 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: for those of you in oz with children..........

Originally Posted by amanda76

amanda
We have been here in Melbourne for 7 weeks now and have never been healthier.
We have two girls and neither of them or us have even had a sniffle yet, must be all the clean air around here.

Julie.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 3:02 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here for 16 months now and I have had 2 colds in that time. One was particulalry nasty for me (pneumonia) and the other was very mild but lingered a week or so.
Kids have been sick once and not even bad enough to stay home from school.
We definately get sick less here, so far. *knock on wood*

Siren
Old Jun 13th 2005, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

smidgemum2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi...we've been here nearly 7 months now and son aged 6 has had nothing yet. My 2 1/2 yr old daughter had a cold and a cough about 6 weeks ago...got rid of it and then got something similar about 3 weeks later! She started at daycare 1 day a week in Feb and I think it's just one of those things that littlies get at that age. On the whole, I think we have been heathier since our arrival, but who knows what we would have got back in the UK if we'd stayed...
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here 3 months now.

20 month old caught a cold at Nursery which he promptly gave to his week old brother
Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:19 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: for those of you in oz with kids...........

THANKS GUYS, not so many colds i think........... something else to look forward too!!
roll on, thats what i say - and im still collecting paperwork!!!!!!

amanda