Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE EMIGRATED AND RETURNED TO UK

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE EMIGRATED AND RETURNED TO UK

Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

kericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud of
Default FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE EMIGRATED AND RETURNED TO UK

to all of you that have made the big move and have ruturned or are returning in the near future,what made you want to emigrate in the first place and why are you going back,i know for alot of people it is family and friends,alsofor their familiar surroundings,we are making the move very soon and i am starting to get the jitters normal i know,but have read on here alot about the cost of living and low wages,were going to perth and have been their in nov for a rekkie really liked it.i know everyones situation is different and some people like or hate perth but lately i have read more bad than good on perth,every country has its good and bad points i know,would just like to hear from anyone that has made the move and are back or going back to uk,and their reasons for returning cheers
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:22 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE EMIGRATED AND RETURNED TO UK

Originally Posted by kericare
to all of you that have made the big move and have ruturned or are returning in the near future,what made you want to emigrate in the first place and why are you going back,i know for alot of people it is family and friends,alsofor their familiar surroundings,we are making the move very soon and i am starting to get the jitters normal i know,but have read on here alot about the cost of living and low wages,were going to perth and have been their in nov for a rekkie really liked it.i know everyones situation is different and some people like or hate perth but lately i have read more bad than good on perth,every country has its good and bad points i know,would just like to hear from anyone that has made the move and are back or going back to uk,and their reasons for returning cheers
perhaps you`d be better off posting in the movin back to the uk forum ?????
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:32 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

But before actively seeking the reasons for return put it into the context that the majority of people migrate and do not return.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
But before actively seeking the reasons for return put it into the context that the majority of people migrate and do not return.
Very True

John
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:05 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

On this site (and others like it) all the major citys go through times of people really loving the area and then couple of months later people hating it, you have to remember that as you say everyones situation is different, where one will be willing to sacrifice and give a little others wont etc etc, if you liked what you saw when you were there thats all that matters!!

We have had ups and downs and been a few times along the way where we could of easily just packed up and gone home, to us that was the easy option, but we now a year in love it and no way we will be heading back any time soon!

And we live in that awful place called Adelaide that EVERYONE slags off!! But we (and Wendy) LOVE IT!!

Biggest bit of advice I can give you to help you along your way is
"Dont believe everything you read on here!!"
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

kericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud of

thanks sham for the advice really appreciate it,were gonna give it our best shot,and as the saying goes you only live once
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
On this site (and others like it) all the major citys go through times of people really loving the area and then couple of months later people hating it, you have to remember that as you say everyones situation is different, where one will be willing to sacrifice and give a little others wont etc etc, if you liked what you saw when you were there thats all that matters!!

We have had ups and downs and been a few times along the way where we could of easily just packed up and gone home, to us that was the easy option, but we now a year in love it and no way we will be heading back any time soon!

And we live in that awful place called Adelaide that EVERYONE slags off!! But we (and Wendy) LOVE IT!!

Biggest bit of advice I can give you to help you along your way is
"Dont believe everything you read on here!!"
YU MEEN I CANT BILEEV EVRITHING I REEDS ON TEH INTERWEBS?!!1!??
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:55 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Okay, well we emigrated to Aus (NSW) back in 1981, settled in fairly quickly and soon developed a circle of friends and enjoyed the Aussie lifestyle. Never even thought about returning to the UK, other than for holidays.

Then in 92/93 I found out I had the big 'C' and after operation and chemotherapy all I could think about was returning home to be with family. I didn't really miss the UK, but I felt that I needed to be with family. We returned in 94, much to the dismay of my hubby and daughter, but we settled in and built up our life here. However, after soulsearching, I realise that I had made a big mistake and should have stayed in Aus. That's not to say we don't have a good life back here, we do, but I do miss the sunshine and the maturely developed social scene of Australia, I miss talking to young people and having really good conversations with them, unlike the grunts eminating from the young people over here.

Family is family but unfortunately everything becomes all too familiar after a short while and you find yourself back in the situation you were before you ever migrated!

My daughter is now planning her return to Aus with her two children, I really hope she goes and makes a good life for herself and them - although sometimes I think she may stay - of course I will miss them all like mad but in my heart I know they will have a better life out in Aus, as long as they don't want too much too quickly.

If they do settle, I think once my husband retires, we may possibly move back to be closer to them, but at this stage in our lives it is not viable.

Don't get me wrong, Australia presents itself with just as many problems as you get in the UK, albeit different ones, but things that you have to deal with like it or not. There is no place on earth that is Utopia, but if you're prepared to work hard both at work and socially then you can have a good life in Australia. But like they say, "different strokes for different folks". Just go and enjoy it whilst you can - there is no shame in returning for whatever reason, and if you settle then where better to settle than in the lovely sunshine.

Good Luck