Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those worried about how they will afford an Ozzie mortgage

For those worried about how they will afford an Ozzie mortgage

Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default For those worried about how they will afford an Ozzie mortgage

Take a look at this article.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/property/...402361444.html

Would not be my choice but if you absolutely have to get on the property ladder then these may cushion the cost.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those worried about how they will afford an Ozzie mortgage

Originally Posted by MartinH

Would not be my choice but if you absolutely have to get on the property ladder then these may cushion the cost.
It doesn't "cushion" anything. You don't get something for nothing ...
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It doesn't "cushion" anything. You don't get something for nothing ...
Very true - but there might be something in it providing you are well aware of he downside(s). If you can't refinance the balance for example you will be "locked out" of any increase in value which might help finance an upward move?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone looked at The Governments Shared Equity scheme? (not sure if it is just WA or country wide)
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:32 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to see a martgage broker....

I know some people don't like them but I ahve a mate who is a mortgage broker and over the last few months I have been looking at gettign another place ..... he could find me a deal MUCH MUCH better than any of the banks/lending places I could get...... not only that, but he works in the industryc EVERY DAY and is right up to date onn all the ways of saving, and all the pitfalls/traps that banks use to make their money (like exit fees and maximum additional repayments etc.....
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:39 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Extremely long repayment mortgages are the norm in countries like Germany, where loans extend to as much as 100 years. They get passed on, from family member to family member.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Extremely long repayment mortgages are the norm in countries like Germany, where loans extend to as much as 100 years. They get passed on, from family member to family member.
I very much doubt that loans can be passed on like that. Few if any free nations accept the concept that debt can pass on to the next generation. (in Britain if a person dies insolvent, that's a problem for the creditors, no-one else).

In any case, if you do the math you will see that to increase the period of a loan from 40 to 100 years at 6% interest only reduces the annual payment by 10%.

And the annual payments on a loan can never be less than the interest rate.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I very much doubt that loans can be passed on like that. Few if any free nations accept the concept that debt can pass on to the next generation. (in Britain if a person dies insolvent, that's a problem for the creditors, no-one else).

In any case, if you do the math you will see that to increase the period of a loan from 40 to 100 years at 6% interest only reduces the annual payment by 10%.

And the annual payments on a loan can never be less than the interest rate.
Never-the-less, they've been available in Japan and Germany for some time and are indeed passed on down the generations.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:29 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Hutch
Never-the-less, they've been available in Japan and Germany for some time and are indeed passed on down the generations.
Interest only mortgages (infinite repayment period) have been available in the U.K. for some time too. However they don't pass down the generations.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinH

It is a way for those who are struggling to get 'on the ladder' so long as they are aware of the downsides and what you are giving up for the privilage.

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
My advice would be to see a martgage broker....

I know some people don't like them but I ahve a mate who is a mortgage broker and over the last few months I have been looking at gettign another place ..... he could find me a deal MUCH MUCH better than any of the banks/lending places I could get...... not only that, but he works in the industryc EVERY DAY and is right up to date onn all the ways of saving, and all the pitfalls/traps that banks use to make their money (like exit fees and maximum additional repayments etc.....
It is a shame that the minority give the rest of us a bad reputation... although Ozzies seem more open to me than Brits do even though I am a Brit myself
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:47 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by JAJ
Interest only mortgages (infinite repayment period) have been available in the U.K. for some time too. However they don't pass down the generations.
You're the only person that's mentioned the UK - I haven't, nor does this thread refer to the UK.