Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those that work at the mines.

For those that work at the mines.

Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:42 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those that work at the mines.

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Well, they drug test as part of OH&S so I wouldnt imagine there are many drugs up there; but drinking and fighting yep probably.

I am told the biggest health issue up in the mines is obesity.... and my company is going to help that out by supplying 30 channels of Foxtel and high speed internet which means that muggins is going to be doing some FIFO
well maybe the company could put treadmills in that feed electricity to the tv's and computers so you have to do an hour on the treadie before you get to sit on your backside to watch telly wich in return would reduce sick days and be enviromentally freindly too
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:08 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, they drug test as part of OH&S so I wouldnt imagine there are many drugs up there; but drinking and fighting yep probably.

I am told the biggest health issue up in the mines is obesity.... and my company is going to help that out by supplying 30 channels of Foxtel and high speed internet which means that muggins is going to be doing some FIFO
If I want to visit a mine site or production facility I would have to get tested. Another serious health issue is depression. As most work long hours there is little drinking until the day off. They then go wild on the grog.

Facilities offered can be great with good food, Sat TV, gyms, swimming pools etc and internet although getting comms to these places is fun.

A few places have strict sexual harassment rules in place with segregation of sleeping facilities.

Next year I should be going on a tour of Pilbara sites which should be fun. Lihir is the one I want to avoid. A lot of sulphur and the mine is in an active volcano.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 6:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>> high speed internet <<snip>>
In their dreams! This is Australia remember!!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Next year I should be going on a tour of Pilbara sites which should be fun. Lihir is the one I want to avoid. A lot of sulphur and the mine is in an active volcano.
You won't find Lihir in the Pilbara - it's in Papua New Guinea. And there aren't any active volcanoes on mainland Australia.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacqui
You won't find Lihir in the Pilbara - it's in Papua New Guinea. And there aren't any active volcanoes on mainland Australia.
PNG ................ definitely not for the feint hearted I survived 10 years on Bougainville ............. but the good days like that are long gone nowadays.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Jacqui
It is a mine run by an Australian company with a lot FIFO from Australia especially Cairns. We supply the place. It is an option for those wanting to live in Australia and FIFO there.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 7:44 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

As most work long hours there is little drinking until the day off. They then go wild on the grog.

Facilities offered can be great with good food, Sat TV, gyms, swimming pools etc and internet although getting comms to these places is fun.

A few places have strict sexual harassment rules in place with segregation of sleeping facilities.

Iv heard that drinking drugs and fighting is common place, and if it was on the camps as a FIFO position surely those on days off should go home, yes there is testing in place but what happens to them if found drunk or high, they get told to sober up and go home for the day.

What do the "others" have if only a few have sexual harassment policies.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by kelli28
Iv heard that drinking drugs and fighting is common place, and if it was on the camps as a FIFO position surely those on days off should go home, yes there is testing in place but what happens to them if found drunk or high, they get told to sober up and go home for the day.

What do the "others" have if only a few have sexual harassment policies.
There are a lot of sites that have FIFOs but the camps are near a town with a pub. Work days can have a struct alcohol limit but if they have a day off then the worker has 24 hours to get it out of his system.

The strictness of enforcement depends on the company. Some are zero tolerant whilst others are not. I recommend anyone enquire about H&S when being interviewed.

The company I work with operates in highly dangerous environments and safety non-compliance is always dealt with. That culture is enforced company wide with no exceptions, including the offices.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:20 pm

There are a lot of sites that have FIFOs but the camps are near a town with a pub. Work days can have a struct alcohol limit but if they have a day off then the worker has 24 hours to get it out of his system.

The strictness of enforcement depends on the company. Some are zero tolerant whilst others are not. I recommend anyone enquire about H&S when being interviewed.

The company I work with operates in highly dangerous environments and safety non-compliance is always dealt with. That culture is enforced company wide with no exceptions, including the offices.
I suppose since it is mostly men at the sites my question should of been:

Would you be comfortable with your wife working there on a FIFO role ???
Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by kelli28
I suppose since it is mostly men at the sites my question should of been:

Would you be comfortable with your wife working there on a FIFO role ???
At the site I know yes. There is razor wire between the male and female dongers and rules are strictly enforced. It depends on the company and that company's culture.