Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Those who've moved from NSW to QLD............

Those who've moved from NSW to QLD............

Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:26 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Those who've moved from NSW to QLD............

Hopefully this year we'll be heading up to QLD to live (after a recce in the next couple of months) and it got me to thinking why others have made the move, and if the move reached their expectations?

I basically want to try and escape this cold cold winter that we get here - hate it with a passion - didnt move here for the cold and definitely dont want it. We want to be closer to the beach - yes we could get that in NSW and there are some beautiful beaches......but I want to be able to use them more frequently than we do here (back to the cold! ). I'd LOVE to escape these freakin flies who ruin any pleasure you may get from eating outdoors (I'm not expecting them to be gone....I'm just hoping they're not as bad as here!). House prices - not much cheaper than here - but a little more affordable for us.

I think the main thing though has to be the beach life. Thats what we moved here for initially and if we didnt move then we'd just be settling for what we've got......and we could have done that in the UK and saved ourselves a whole lotta money!

Your turn!

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Jan 24th 2008 at 3:54 am.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:43 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Those who've moved from NSW to QLD............

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
I'd LOVE to escape these freakin flies who ruin any pleasure you may get from eating outdoors (I'm not expecting them to be gone....I'm just hoping they're not as bad as here!
When you find such a place.....can you let the rest of us know please!!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Getting a decent job that pays OK will be your biggest hurdle. Most decent jobs by the beach (at the Gold or Sunshine Coast) are as rare as hens teeth and will usually go to the locals.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:45 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Getting a decent job that pays OK will be your biggest hurdle. Most decent jobs by the beach (at the Gold or Sunshine Coast) are as rare as hens teeth and will usually go to the locals.
Hopefully we'll be ok on that front - hubby should be able to secure a job at Coolangatta airport (well we hope so anyway!!). The job hes got now doesnt pay well so it'll be nothing new - just lots of overtime.........same old same old
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by TraceyW
When you find such a place.....can you let the rest of us know please!!!
Havent you been there - its this place called 'utopia'.............could well be in my mind though!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

We moved for 2 reasons, first was money - we couldn't afford to buy anything in Sydney that was close enough to work and beaches and the second was weather.

Like you we wanted warmer - I've never been so cold in my life as I was in Sydney ane at least in England I had heating on cold days. Our house was too big to heat effectively with heaters.

On the financial side it was the best thing we've ever done. We had absolutely no money when we moved to Oz (about $2000 which we spent on furniture) but after renting for 3 years we had enough for a deposit. 8 yrs further down the line we are very fortunate to have a comfortable lifestyle and home.

As far as the beaches go, I miss them terribly. We are now an hour away (doesn't sound much but with traffic on way home it can be 2 or 3 hours so makes it not such an appealing proposition). We intend to move again to the Sunshine Coast once the kids have finished high school in 3-4 yrs time.

As far as weather goes, until this "summer" I've loved it - it has been everything we wanted. Not too keen on all the rain (yes, I know we need it but it still not going in Brisbane dams).

Verdict - yes we're happy with our move and are pleased we did it but will move again until we get it right!

Gilly
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Hopefully we'll be ok on that front - hubby should be able to secure a job at Coolangatta airport (well we hope so anyway!!). The job hes got now doesnt pay well so it'll be nothing new - just lots of overtime.........same old same old
Ok just keep in mind that the GC is as expensive as Sydney now when you compare salary to average house price ratios.

Do not "expect" your hubby will walk in to a job either. There are alot more people than jobs here, unlike most other parts of Aus at the moment.

But it will be worth it. The GC has it all over anywhere in NSW IMO. The beaches are better, the people friendlier and the traffic is bearable most of the time (when they're not doing road works).
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by gillysm
We moved for 2 reasons, first was money - we couldn't afford to buy anything in Sydney that was close enough to work and beaches and the second was weather.

Like you we wanted warmer - I've never been so cold in my life as I was in Sydney ane at least in England I had heating on cold days. Our house was too big to heat effectively with heaters.

On the financial side it was the best thing we've ever done. We had absolutely no money when we moved to Oz (about $2000 which we spent on furniture) but after renting for 3 years we had enough for a deposit. 8 yrs further down the line we are very fortunate to have a comfortable lifestyle and home.

As far as the beaches go, I miss them terribly. We are now an hour away (doesn't sound much but with traffic on way home it can be 2 or 3 hours so makes it not such an appealing proposition). We intend to move again to the Sunshine Coast once the kids have finished high school in 3-4 yrs time.

As far as weather goes, until this "summer" I've loved it - it has been everything we wanted. Not too keen on all the rain (yes, I know we need it but it still not going in Brisbane dams).

Verdict - yes we're happy with our move and are pleased we did it but will move again until we get it right!

Gilly
Thanks for that Gilly - all good to hear

One more question......one thing we need to find out about are the different costs for living in different states. Would centrelink payments change and what differences are there with Rego etc etc etc

Thanks again

Rach xxxx
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:45 am

Ok just keep in mind that the GC is as expensive as Sydney now when you compare salary to average house price ratios.

Do not "expect" your hubby will walk in to a job either. There are alot more people than jobs here, unlike most other parts of Aus at the moment.

But it will be worth it. The GC has it all over anywhere in NSW IMO. The beaches are better, the people friendlier and the traffic is bearable most of the time (when they're not doing road works).
Thanks for that. Nah we dont expect to walk in to a job - the job will come first and then we will move accordingly - we cant afford to be sat around with no income......so if theres no job........then theres no move

Good to hear that your view of the Gold Coast is a positive one
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Thanks for that Gilly - all good to hear

One more question......one thing we need to find out about are the different costs for living in different states. Would centrelink payments change and what differences are there with Rego etc etc etc

Thanks again

Rach xxxx
Hi Rach

Rego
Queensland:
· 6 month: 356.20
· 12 month: 682.95
· Late fee: 40
· Inclusive of third party insurance

New South Wales:
· Only can pay yearly.
· Depending on the vehicle: between 211 and 237 with a maximum of 337
· No immediate late fee, have leeway up to 3 months after the expiry date to pay. This payment however does get backdated so you do end up paying for the period that you weren’t registered for.
· Not inclusive of CTP. Depends on the postcode, approximately 200-600

I found comprehesive insurance was quite a bit less - not sure if that's still the case.

Sorry, can't help you with Centrelink as we didn't get anything while we were living in Sydney as we were Temp Residents then.

Gilly
xxx
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by gillysm
Hi Rach

Rego
Queensland:
· 6 month: 356.20
· 12 month: 682.95
· Late fee: 40
· Inclusive of third party insurance

New South Wales:
· Only can pay yearly.
· Depending on the vehicle: between 211 and 237 with a maximum of 337
· No immediate late fee, have leeway up to 3 months after the expiry date to pay. This payment however does get backdated so you do end up paying for the period that you weren’t registered for.
· Not inclusive of CTP. Depends on the postcode, approximately 200-600

I found comprehesive insurance was quite a bit less - not sure if that's still the case.

Sorry, can't help you with Centrelink as we didn't get anything while we were living in Sydney as we were Temp Residents then.

Gilly
xxx
Thanks Gill........you're a darlin
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

We moved from the hills District in Sydney to the Gold Coast with 2 kids aged 11 & 13. We moved as we found Sydney to be too expensive for us and just too far from the beaches. Anywhere near the water costs an arm and a leg in Sydney. We were renting.

We can live 5 mins from the beaches here and pay the same rent we paid in Sydney for a house ages from the beach. We are an Aussie family originally from Tasmania and my husband has struggled heaps to find work on the GC and indeed in Brisbane itself. He was a Police Officer in Tassie but does not want to pursue that career here in Qld. I found work in Admin. quite easily though so Aussies can have just the same probs. finding work here that pays ok. My hubby has gone overseas to work for 3 months as he just didnt find any decent work here so not the ideal situation for us.

We find the car rego. easier to pay for as you can pay 6 monthly which you cannot do in Sydney. We have just shelled out a small fortune for our kids schoolling though and they go public, both in High School this year. We paid approx. $220 for each child for books plus uniform on top of that and an extra $180 for my sons Year 8 camp in March. So much for 'free' education in the public system. Add to that $50 each child for Stationery and thats our costs for schoolling. It was a little cheaper in NSW.

We love being so close to great beaches. The traffic is much more bearable than Sydney and the weather is much warmer up here, that I can vouch for!! We have no Air-con in our home and have suffered a bit with the humidity this Summer! Tassie is so much colder although we did get a hot Summer in the hills but without the humidity.

We do love it here and the kids are settling well but we may have to move if hubby cant find work when he returns from overseas. Back to square one!.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ex Tassiemum
We moved from the hills District in Sydney to the Gold Coast with 2 kids aged 11 & 13. We moved as we found Sydney to be too expensive for us and just too far from the beaches. Anywhere near the water costs an arm and a leg in Sydney. We were renting.

We can live 5 mins from the beaches here and pay the same rent we paid in Sydney for a house ages from the beach. We are an Aussie family originally from Tasmania and my husband has struggled heaps to find work on the GC and indeed in Brisbane itself. He was a Police Officer in Tassie but does not want to pursue that career here in Qld. I found work in Admin. quite easily though so Aussies can have just the same probs. finding work here that pays ok. My hubby has gone overseas to work for 3 months as he just didnt find any decent work here so not the ideal situation for us.

We find the car rego. easier to pay for as you can pay 6 monthly which you cannot do in Sydney. We have just shelled out a small fortune for our kids schoolling though and they go public, both in High School this year. We paid approx. $220 for each child for books plus uniform on top of that and an extra $180 for my sons Year 8 camp in March. So much for 'free' education in the public system. Add to that $50 each child for Stationery and thats our costs for schoolling. It was a little cheaper in NSW.

We love being so close to great beaches. The traffic is much more bearable than Sydney and the weather is much warmer up here, that I can vouch for!! We have no Air-con in our home and have suffered a bit with the humidity this Summer! Tassie is so much colder although we did get a hot Summer in the hills but without the humidity.

We do love it here and the kids are settling well but we may have to move if hubby cant find work when he returns from overseas. Back to square one!.
What type of work is hubby looking for?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

What type of work is hubby looking for?
Investigative work mainly. He will join the Federal Police through their Lateral Transfer program when they start hiring again in the field he wishes to take up but at present thats not until 2009. That will mean 4 months training in Canberra but at least its in Australia!

In the meantime he may just have to continue with 2 bit Security jobs or the like. Such is life. We do like the Gold Coast though so that helps. Its nice to get to the beach in only 5-10 mins and NOT have to pay heaps just to park there either, and we find the sea to be very theraputic, guess that comes from living on an island all our life!!