Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

for those who took dogs to auz

for those who took dogs to auz

Old Oct 12th 2004, 5:55 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default for those who took dogs to auz

hi

for those of you who took your beloved pets to oz with you i just had a couple of questions.......

1)if you have more than one dog to take with you, do they travel together in same container, do you pay double or do you get a set price as they are in same container?? And would they be together in quarrentine? (was wondering if taking 2 dogs would be less daunting for her if she was with a pal)

2) what are your experiences with taking your pets, what were they like afterwards, did you visit them in quarentine and were you able to have stopovers or do abit of travelling when you got there?

I will be taking my little pooch with me, but i am so worried how she will cope, incase she thinks that we abandoned her etc.

I initally wanted to have a couple of stopovers on the way to perth, but i dont know if i will worry constantly about my 4-legged friend in quarentine.

I was also thinking of getting a camper van when we fisrt arrive there and travelling around abit (surfing etc) before we find jobs, house etc.....do you think the pooch will be ok travelling that way with us? (we take her everywhere with us here)

I have read many good posts about taking pets but couldnt find anything about these, any comments or advice would be welcome...

cheers

laura
x
Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:31 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: for those who took dogs to auz

Don't know about travelling in the same crate, but they can be put together in the quarantine station, they charge less for the 2nd dog. Have seen on tv 2 cats sharing a box, maybe you can, but there again my mutt arrived in his crate clean, maybe if more than one they might get a bit messy, it is a long flight after all.
We didn't visit our dog, thought it would be too stressful, not just for him but for us. He was sadly a bag of bones when we picked him up, but is looking better now after 3 weeks of feeding up, with food he would eat other than what they give at the q station. Only ped chum advance, and this meaty treat. Told them he wouldn't eat it and they ignored me.

Having him in quarantine was good though, it made our first couple of weeks so much easier, so glad in a way. House hunting etc, you can't really drag a dog around plus it gets so hot in the car, you can't really leave them in the car either.
We camped quite a bit in the UK, ours always loved it, we are considering doing the same here. The only down point I can find is in National Parks you can't have them out of the car, so I've been told, this I will check out as I can't lock him in the car, will let you know that one, off to the Pinacles tomorrow, don't mind driving around with him in car but if we want to get out, don't know whether he will keep his legs crossed.
Jenny
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:03 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve
Don't know about travelling in the same crate, but they can be put together in the quarantine station, they charge less for the 2nd dog. Have seen on tv 2 cats sharing a box, maybe you can, but there again my mutt arrived in his crate clean, maybe if more than one they might get a bit messy, it is a long flight after all.
We didn't visit our dog, thought it would be too stressful, not just for him but for us. He was sadly a bag of bones when we picked him up, but is looking better now after 3 weeks of feeding up, with food he would eat other than what they give at the q station. Only ped chum advance, and this meaty treat. Told them he wouldn't eat it and they ignored me.

Having him in quarantine was good though, it made our first couple of weeks so much easier, so glad in a way. House hunting etc, you can't really drag a dog around plus it gets so hot in the car, you can't really leave them in the car either.
We camped quite a bit in the UK, ours always loved it, we are considering doing the same here. The only down point I can find is in National Parks you can't have them out of the car, so I've been told, this I will check out as I can't lock him in the car, will let you know that one, off to the Pinacles tomorrow, don't mind driving around with him in car but if we want to get out, don't know whether he will keep his legs crossed.
Jenny

hello jenny

thanks for sharing your experiences with me.

I am so worried about my dog not eating, as she is a fussy eater as it is, do you know what food they tried to feed her on whilst in there? was this the Perth quarentine place?

I was really contemplating getting another dog if it doesnt work out that much more expensive, so that i dont worry as much...(i know i am mad)

Did you go on the same flight as your dog? Did you call the quarrentine place instead of visiting, and did you dog remember you when you came to collect, did he go mad when he saw you?

How are they adapting to the weather in Auz etc....

I have so many questions, imagine what i'll be like when i have kids!

good luck on your trip to pinicles, let me know what you find out re dogs, as we really fancy travelling about with the pooch in tow!

thanks

laura
x
Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:18 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

I think I have answered evrything here, if not send me a pm or email.

I am so worried about my dog not eating, as she is a fussy eater as it is, do you know what food they tried to feed her on whilst in there? was this the Perth quarentine place?

They feed them pedigree chum advance dried food, and some form of meaty treat .

Did you go on the same flight as your dog? Did you call the quarrentine place instead of visiting, and did you dog remember you when you came to collect, did he go mad when he saw you?

No he went BA a couple of days before us, I called when he arrived to ask re his food and was told no problems eating fine!! When we picked him up he didn't really recognise us, the next day he remembered. It took his a while to be his old self.

He's fine with the sunshine, I dont think he knows he is in another country.

good luck on your trip to pinicles, let me know what you find out re dogs, as we really fancy travelling about with the pooch in tow!

Been looking it up and dogs are banned from most national parks, and some camp sites, look at www.naturebase.net there is a section on pets.

Hope this helps Jenny
Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:21 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: for those who took dogs to auz

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hello jenny

thanks for sharing your experiences with me.

I was really contemplating getting another dog if it doesnt work out that much more expensive, so that i dont worry as much...(i know i am mad)

I have so many questions, imagine what i'll be like when i have kids!

thanks

laura
x
Lauralollipop

Don't worry about asking loads of questions it is understandably a confusing and nerve racking time.

My dog and two cats leave for Australia on the 2nd of November and we don't leave untill the 17th. We decided to send them on ahead so that we can tie up loose ends here and let the shippers have full access to loading our stuff as the animals could run off with the door left open.

We have used Golden Arrow and its not been cheap since BA have increased their Fuel levies, but they have been exceptional with their advice and ability to answer all my questions.

I know with Golden arrow they will not let animals travel together in the same container on the flight incase something happens to one and the other is truamatised by that event. I asked this cause i wanted my cats to travel together. I am unsure but under the impression that it is not cheaper to send two dogs as they go on the height of the dogs to build their specific containers, but you are better asking the shippers that you want to use and get some quotes.

Indeed you can visit your pets in quarrantine but i tend to agree with Jenny that it might be even more truamatic for them to see you while they are in there, we are undecided as to what we will do.

So Laura i hope you get your questions answered and all goes well with you for the big move and for the pets as well. The dog will probably love travelling around with you in a campervan and i can't see that being a problem, lots of folk in Aust do that ( i am an aussie).

Good Luck

Kate
Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:32 pm

[QUOTE=katyjoy]Lauralollipop

Don't worry about asking loads of questions it is understandably a confusing and nerve racking time.

My dog and two cats leave for Australia on the 2nd of November and we don't leave untill the 17th. We decided to send them on ahead so that we can tie up loose ends here and let the shippers have full access to loading our stuff as the animals could run off with the door left open.

We have used Golden Arrow and its not been cheap since BA have increased their Fuel levies, but they have been exceptional with their advice and ability to answer all my questions.

I know with Golden arrow they will not let animals travel together in the same container on the flight incase something happens to one and the other is truamatised by that event. I asked this cause i wanted my cats to travel together. I am unsure but under the impression that it is not cheaper to send two dogs as they go on the height of the dogs to build their specific containers, but you are better asking the shippers that you want to use and get some quotes.

Indeed you can visit your pets in quarrantine but i tend to agree with Jenny that it might be even more truamatic for them to see you while they are in there, we are undecided as to what we will do.

So Laura i hope you get your questions answered and all goes well with you for the big move and for the pets as well. The dog will probably love travelling around with you in a campervan and i can't see that being a problem, lots of folk in Aust do that ( i am an aussie).

Good Luck

hello jenny and kate

thankyou both for your replies, have answered my questions, but dont think i'll ever feel unworried about it all.....suppose i'll just have to do it.

How scary must it all be for them, the poor things, wish there was an eaiser way, but i keep thinking that leaving them behind is worse isnt it......

Jenny, cant beleive he didnt recognise you at first bless,(i would be gutted) i am glad he is all back to normal now tho.

Kate you will have to keep me posted and let me know how you and the dogs get on.

take care
and good luck
laura
Old Oct 13th 2004, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

suecroft will become famous soon enoughsuecroft will become famous soon enough

I'm also planning on taking out my goldie in Feb.
Can anyone give me a couple of web sites for animal shippers so I can contact them
What did Golden Arrow charge ?
Want my pup to be looked after properly, he's such a softie
I know hundreds of dogs travel every year - god, they even flew horses out for the olympics in 2000, but when its YOUR dog , you worry !!!
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:00 pm
Cheeky

Hi there Sue!!

We are are also taking our golden retriever with us when we go to Oz. Unfortunately Golden Arrow dont have a website but here are the details and the quote they gave me.

Please bear in mind although my dog is a bitch she is on the large side!! So hopefully this should give you an idea as to what to expect......

Total cost for the export of my dog is £2336

Here is the breakdown.....

Price includes:-

All freight charges, airline doc, sealings, and UK vet fees at the airport.

A travelling kennel measuring 49x23x32 inches.

The shipping arrangement and booking with up to 3 days boarding prior to export.

Delivery to the airport and disembursement fee.

Not forgetting obtaining the import permit and DEFRAs export health certificate.

Also worming, final insecticide treatment and health examination.

Transit insurance is optional at £3.50 per £100 insured which available for pets up to 8 yrs old.

You have to pay (on top of this) quarantine fees which are payable in Australia prior to release. The quarantine charges are.....

1 pet = Aus$720.50 for the 30 days.

I can give you a breakdown if you want? But it basically includes accomadation, airport conveyance, Quarantine entry, vet examination, doc clearance and ACS IDF and A/C screening.

I recieved this quote from Golden Arrow on the 6th Sept 2004 so its very much up to date.

Basically Golden Arrow seem to be the best ones and do most of the 'work' for you. They have a very high reputation and I know I am def going to use them. The only thing you need to is obtain blood tests results and vaccination card and your dog has to have a microchip. The permit can take a few weeks to arrive and they will need the microchip number early on before they can apply for it.

Here are their details.....

Golden Arrow Shippers
Lydbury North
Shropshire
SY7 8DY
ENGLAND

Tel 01 588 680 240

Unfortunately they dont (or didnt!) have a website!! but you can phone them and they are happy to advise you.

Best of luck, dont worry my dog is very happy about this!! (Well I think so when she comes and rests her head on my knee and looks up with big brown endearing eyes!!AAwwwwwwwww!!! )

Regards,
Cheeky

Originally Posted by suecroft
I'm also planning on taking out my goldie in Feb.
Can anyone give me a couple of web sites for animal shippers so I can contact them
What did Golden Arrow charge ?
Want my pup to be looked after properly, he's such a softie
I know hundreds of dogs travel every year - god, they even flew horses out for the olympics in 2000, but when its YOUR dog , you worry !!!

Last edited by Cheeky; Oct 13th 2004 at 8:18 pm. Reason: Oops, edited the cost for insurance. It is now correct at £3.50 per £100 not £3.50 per £1000 as stated earlier. Sorry!!

Old Oct 14th 2004, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Greenhorn is an unknown quantity at this point

oops, Pedigree ?......would u know if i can bring their old food and request quarantine to feed it ?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:39 pm
Moved out bush!

Originally Posted by Greenhorn
oops, Pedigree ?......would u know if i can bring their old food and request quarantine to feed it ?
I asked the quarantine station this and even offered to drive over as soon as I landed to take them some food, I rang and the lying toe rags said he was eating fine, when he wasn't. You can take treats in but they may deem them as fattening etc and choose not to let them have them. You can't take any dog food into the country. I have seen over here the dried ped chum range, tined food called pedigree pal, looks like a chum tin to me, something similar to ceasar, frolic, smackoes treats are here as well.
Hope that helps.
Golden arrows crates are really good, mine was sent with them, he arrived clean and dry, which I thought rather a miracle. Just remember that Golden Arrow only have them a couple of days, they will not eat and will be unsettled with them, the majority of their stay is over here, and that is where you have least control, they may be animal lovers but it doesn't mean they are right.
Jenny
Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:46 pm
Moved out bush!

Forgot to say, all National Parks have a no dog rule, they can't even be locked in the car while you drive round. We went to the pinnacles today, after going 17k down the road the nice ranger lady said I could kennel him back at their base, back 17k down the road. We got there and it was a tiny kennel block, with gaps big enough for him to escape through with no lock on it and no one in attendance. So basically anyone could nick your dog. Just as well we had his flight crate in the back of the car, so we drove down to the next town, bought a chain and padlock. Yes you guessed it, dog in crate in kennel, bloody big chain and lock. Don't think we will be doing that again in a hurry. Considering we even offered to lock him in his crate in the car and just drive round they said no, no dogs even those confined in cars, a bit ott but they are really avid conservationists, and the place was lovely, all be it dog free. I wouldn't like to live there.
Jenny
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Greenhorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jensteve
Forgot to say, all National Parks have a no dog rule, they can't even be locked in the car while you drive round. We went to the pinnacles today, after going 17k down the road the nice ranger lady said I could kennel him back at their base, back 17k down the road. We got there and it was a tiny kennel block, with gaps big enough for him to escape through with no lock on it and no one in attendance. So basically anyone could nick your dog. Just as well we had his flight crate in the back of the car, so we drove down to the next town, bought a chain and padlock. Yes you guessed it, dog in crate in kennel, bloody big chain and lock. Don't think we will be doing that again in a hurry. Considering we even offered to lock him in his crate in the car and just drive round they said no, no dogs even those confined in cars, a bit ott but they are really avid conservationists, and the place was lovely, all be it dog free. I wouldn't like to live there.
Jenny
well, its a shame re the quarantine thing. glad to know that your dog is doing well now.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Greenhorn

yes i was thinking the same thing about the food, as i know my pup defo WONT eat. I am so worried, not about the flight as i think she will just go to sleep in the create, but about the quarentine, as like you say you have NO control, also she wont know what has happened to her and think that we have abandoned her..... what are the kennels like at the Perth quarentine, do they have in door and outdoor, how big are they, are they close to other dogs?

Does anyone know if you can get your dog out when you come and visit them, and is there anyone there over night?

I am more worried about this than anything else to do with the migration, and i am dreading it, i'll be an emotional wreck!!!!

laura
xxx
Old Oct 16th 2004, 12:49 pm
Moved out bush!

You can visit for 2 hours each day, they will let you use the exercise area. Don't know what the kennels where like, emailed them regarding bedding, they supply a sack!! so sent out a doggy bed before he arrived, luckily for me he's tiny and I managed to squish it in a huge jiffy bag.
When I picked him up, the girl went to get him from his kennel, and then bought him to the door.
Its tough but I am glad he is here.
Jenny
Old Oct 16th 2004, 12:58 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: for those who took dogs to auz

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
yes i was thinking the same thing about the food, as i know my pup defo WONT eat. I am so worried, not about the flight as i think she will just go to sleep in the create, but about the quarentine, as like you say you have NO control, also she wont know what has happened to her and think that we have abandoned her..... what are the kennels like at the Perth quarentine, do they have in door and outdoor, how big are they, are they close to other dogs?

Does anyone know if you can get your dog out when you come and visit them, and is there anyone there over night?

I am more worried about this than anything else to do with the migration, and i am dreading it, i'll be an emotional wreck!!!!
laura
xxx

Thank god someone else is as nervous as I am about sending the dog!!! My dog is called Poppy and we got her from the Cardonald cat and dog home in Glasgow 4 years ago when she was a puppy. I am terrified that she will feel abandoned. Normally she is a happy full of energy dog but has a bit of a phobia about cars - although she does travel no probs in the car (she just salivates a lot and sometimes is sick). I can't imagine how scared she will be getting bundled in a crate by rough men into the hold and hearing the loud engine noise on takeoff?! Also if she is going from Heathrow to Sydney that will be almost 22-24 hours travel - where do they do the toilet? In their crate? - she would hate to sleep in her own mess. On the other hand she will have a great outdoors life in Oz and she loves the sun and beach. I think of her as a daughter and would never leave her at home.

The more info people can add to this thread the better.

Lynn x

(planning to go to Brisbane by Dec 2005 with husband and dog Poppy)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.