Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those who settled in Brisbane - you happy?

For those who settled in Brisbane - you happy?

Old May 27th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold
Default For those who settled in Brisbane - you happy?

hi all,

for those who decided that brisbane was the place to migrate to, are you happy you choose that city?

havent been to oz yet and its basically a toss up between Syd, Melb, and brissy, so far i have heard lots of nice things about brisbane...

thanks for your thoughts...
Old May 27th 2006, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those who settled in Brisbane - you happy?

Originally Posted by obiwan
hi all,

for those who decided that brisbane was the place to migrate to, are you happy you choose that city?

havent been to oz yet and its basically a toss up between Syd, Melb, and brissy, so far i have heard lots of nice things about brisbane...

I am definitely glad that we chose Brisbane. Before coming here I thought that I would prefer to live in Sydney, but Brisbane is so much more laid back.
Old May 27th 2006, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

thanks for that mand,

i also forgot to mention that we have 3 small kids, 5,3,1 so we are looking for a place ideal for raising a family and not stressful, my priority is my family, not career.....

nice to know that brisbane is laid-back
Old May 27th 2006, 9:21 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Cool Re: Alcohol in container for shipping

Can anyone advise me on shipping alcohol in a container with household items. Over about the last 4 years we have travelled quite alot and always bring back a bottle of the local liquour or drink.

We will have about 40 bottles by the time we come to ship everything (hubby wants his own bar). Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on taking it into OZ?

If there are we will just have on hell of a good party here before we leave!

Thanks for any info.

Gillian
Old May 27th 2006, 10:19 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,

Definately happy we settled on Brissie.
Loads to do, and the climate is brilliant. Your kids will love it. i know mine does
Old May 27th 2006, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

We looked at Melbourne first as have rellies there but it was too much like England (cold and foggy!!). Have been in Brissie almost a year and, to quote hubbie "It's the best decision we ever made". Neighbours however are moving back to Sydney as the wife hasn't settled as she doesn't like the red necks.

It's too personal a question really. It suits us, doesn't suit others.
Old May 27th 2006, 12:19 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
It's too personal a question really. It suits us, doesn't suit others.
Exactly right. We love it here:- the laid back attitude, the weather, the big open spaces, the great beaches on one side and the greenery and scenery on the other. Stress? What's that?
Old May 27th 2006, 2:01 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Sue from Manchester]We looked at Melbourne first as have rellies there but it was too much like England (cold and foggy!!). QUOTE]

I agree, Melbourne is just freezing & everyone should move to Brissie or Perth.
Old May 27th 2006, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Bordy]
Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
We looked at Melbourne first as have rellies there but it was too much like England (cold and foggy!!). QUOTE]

I agree, Melbourne is just freezing & everyone should move to Brissie or Perth.
i agree, send all the poms to W A
Old May 27th 2006, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by mand8002
I am definitely glad that we chose Brisbane. Before coming here I thought that I would prefer to live in Sydney, but Brisbane is so much more laid back.
So come on then, spill the beans on good and bad suburbs
Old May 27th 2006, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Took a big gamble as we'd never even been to Aus before.

Glad we chose Brisbane.

Absolutely 100% happy.

Just wished we'd done it earlier
Old May 27th 2006, 9:45 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Climate, attitude, laid back, cost of living, lifestyle, climate. Did I mention the climate ?

Wouldn't live anywhere else!
Old May 28th 2006, 7:35 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Climate, attitude, laid back, cost of living, lifestyle, climate. Did I mention the climate ?

Wouldn't live anywhere else!
You forgot climate
Old May 29th 2006, 1:48 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

We have been here since October last year and so far we love it, like everywhere there is good and bad. I went to Sydney last week on business and it seems to be a lot of hussle and bissle, some nice parts obviously but I was glad to come back 'home' to Brissy.

My folks are visiting from the UK and they went to Melbourne to visit some friends for a week, they also preferred Brissy. There's tons of stuff in reach, Gold Coast, Sunny Coast etc....

All in all, glad we chose Brisbane, you have to understand salaries are a bit lower but it's home now!
Old May 29th 2006, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,

Have been to all three (and Perth too). Initially thought we would land up in Sydney, but so glad we chose Brisbane.
Sydney : pacey, very busy, very expensive, ok if you can afford to live the lifestyle, but we would have got bored in the outer suburbs (we're city bums at heart). Rains a bit more than Brisbane and gets a lot colder. Nonetheless a very attractive city.
Melbourne: too much like being in Europe. Weather very erratic on occasion. Nice city but didn't feel there was enough contrast for us. Just felt a bit like going to London for the day. Hard to explain. Don't dislike it. Just didn't feel quite right.
Perth: felt far too isolated for us. Nice city. Hated the flies. Seems to be a very popular choice these days, and property is just going through the roof, but would be my last choice in the list of 4.
Brisbane: we live in the city. Just absolutely wonderful. Laid back. Close to everything you could ever possible want in very short timescales. Still relatively affordable but apparently there are 40,000 people moving to QLD every month, and you can bet the majority will be Brisbane and the Gold Coast, so I'm expecting some big property price rises in the next 10 years. Weather absolutely gorgeous, but a bit hot and humid for 2 months of the year. (Small price to pay). Something quite interesting.....about 50% of our street have moved here from Melbourne, Sydney, Perth. That should speak volumes.

I haven't been to Adelaide yet.

And here's the irony...although we live in Brisbane, Hubbie actually travels to Sydney to work. It takes him less time to get from Brisbane to Sydney (door to door), than it used to take him to get from Rochford (Essex), to Canary Wharf. AND he gets a seat all the way!! This has positively reassured him that we definitely made the right decision when we chose Brisbane. We absolutely love it here. Plus I have relatives in Sydney so I can visit whenever I feel the need - like tomorrow for instance!! (but they're more keen to visit US in Brisbane!!).

Good luck wherever you choose.

Netta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.