Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Those who know Melbourne/Victoria???

Those who know Melbourne/Victoria???

Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Those who know Melbourne/Victoria???

It's me again (don't yawn). Still lurking around the internet looking for accomodation for when we move. (October and counting the days)

I've just seen a site with some apartments close to the beach in a place called Carrum, near the Patterson River Mouth stating that it's approx 30 kms from Melbourne.

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions on this place? Is it any good. We only want it for 2/3 weeks whilst we look for somewhere permanent to live. Got a toddler to consider as well.

Would love to hear from you knowledgable folks out there x
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:39 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those who know Melbourne/Victoria???

Are you looking for somewhere closer to Melbourne? If so, send me a PM or an email ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by Troood
It's me again (don't yawn). Still lurking around the internet looking for accomodation for when we move. (October and counting the days)

I've just seen a site with some apartments close to the beach in a place called Carrum, near the Patterson River Mouth stating that it's approx 30 kms from Melbourne.

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions on this place? Is it any good. We only want it for 2/3 weeks whilst we look for somewhere permanent to live. Got a toddler to consider as well.

Old Apr 27th 2004, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Are you looking for somewhere closer to Melbourne? If so, send me a PM or an email ...

Best regards.

Hi Alan - have sent you a PM
Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Carrum is fine Troood - on the beach, close to the railway station, lots of shops, quite a good suburb, a fair way out from the CBD as you mention and Alan has PM'd you with other good suggestions.

If it sets your mind at rest, and seeing as it is for a short stay also, I would have no qualms about the apartments in Carrum. There are a lot of apartments, motels etc along that stretch - Carrum, Aspendale, Chelsea, Edithvale, Bonbeach etc. Carrum is the furthest out of all these suburbs. They are all on a narrow strip between the railway line and the beach and on the other side of the railway line. Patterson Lakes was featured in the series on a 'new life down under' (the Welsh family).

OzTennis
Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by OzTennis
Carrum is fine Troood - on the beach, close to the railway station, lots of shops, quite a good suburb, a fair way out from the CBD as you mention and Alan has PM'd you with other good suggestions.

If it sets your mind at rest, and seeing as it is for a short stay also, I would have no qualms about the apartments in Carrum. There are a lot of apartments, motels etc along that stretch - Carrum, Aspendale, Chelsea, Edithvale, Bonbeach etc. Carrum is the furthest out of all these suburbs. They are all on a narrow strip between the railway line and the beach and on the other side of the railway line. Patterson Lakes was featured in the series on a 'new life down under' (the Welsh family).

OzTennis
Thanks OzTennis - I remember Patterson Lakes from the TV programme. Daft question maybe - do you think it would be noisey if it's that close to the railway line? I'm not bothered about being based within CBD, as we'll hire a car so travelling in won't be a problem. I just didn't want to be miles away. Do you know if it's in the same sort of direction as Black Rock? I found some accomodation in Chelsea as well so perhaps I should reconsider that.

Really appreciate your help
Old Apr 27th 2004, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks OzTennis - I remember Patterson Lakes from the TV programme. Daft question maybe - do you think it would be noisey if it's that close to the railway line? I'm not bothered about being based within CBD, as we'll hire a car so travelling in won't be a problem. I just didn't want to be miles away. Do you know if it's in the same sort of direction as Black Rock? I found some accomodation in Chelsea as well so perhaps I should reconsider that.

Troood

It is a very busy line (to Frankston) so there will be trains going either way every 15 or 20 minutes but it really depends how close to the railway line you are. Black Rock is also a seaside suburb but much closer in than Carrum - very roughly half the distance from CBD as Carrum and frankly a far nicer suburb - it is after Brighton and Sandringham and before Beaumaris - and you get lovely views across the bay to Williamstown from BR! Chelsea is only a few minutes closer in than Carrum.

If you've found somewhere in Black Rock and it is similarly priced to Carrum, I would go for Black Rock. I would pay more to be in BR. I don't know though whether you just want nice accommodation in a nice area or somewhere which is decent but close to where you might be looking for property?

OzTennis
Old Apr 27th 2004, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood

It is a very busy line (to Frankston) so there will be trains going either way every 15 or 20 minutes but it really depends how close to the railway line you are. Black Rock is also a seaside suburb but much closer in than Carrum - very roughly half the distance from CBD as Carrum and frankly a far nicer suburb - it is after Brighton and Sandringham and before Beaumaris - and you get lovely views across the bay to Williamstown from BR! Chelsea is only a few minutes closer in than Carrum.

If you've found somewhere in Black Rock and it is similarly priced to Carrum, I would go for Black Rock. I would pay more to be in BR. I don't know though whether you just want nice accommodation in a nice area or somewhere which is decent but close to where you might be looking for property?

OzTennis
Thanks Again OzTennis. I'll look for digs in BR then. At least it's narrowed down my search. Cheers
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Again OzTennis. I'll look for digs in BR then. At least it's narrowed down my search. Cheers
Hi Trood how's it going? I drove the Nepean highway 6 times on my trip. BR & Beaumaris are nice suburbs. Carrum and the other seaside places -blink and you miss them! OT is right, the railway line is one side of the road and a row of shops the other then the beach. Turn off the NH and get to BR , Beamaris, Sandringham. I'd be interested to hear what Alan suggests.
There's a nice B&B down that way run by a Scotish couple. But would be too expensive for 3 weeks stay.http://www.twelveonvictor.com.au/

Trood do you think there's a market for accom. for us visiting expats ...if we ever get our visa I'll set up a B&B Bayside
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by helinuk
Hi Trood how's it going? I drove the Nepean highway 6 times on my trip. BR & Beaumaris are nice suburbs. Carrum and the other seaside places -blink and you miss them! OT is right, the railway line is one side of the road and a row of shops the other then the beach. Turn off the NH and get to BR , Beamaris, Sandringham. I'd be interested to hear what Alan suggests.
There's a nice B&B down that way run by a Scotish couple. But would be too expensive for 3 weeks stay.http://www.twelveonvictor.com.au/

Trood do you think there's a market for accom. for us visiting expats ...if we ever get our visa I'll set up a B&B Bayside

I definetely think there is a gap in the market - possibly for a "meet and greet and help you get set up for the first few weeks on arrival" kind of business. I'm absolutely clueless and if I thought I could get help like that would defo. go for it. I can't find any holiday rentals in Black Rock or surrounding areas. I don't want to stay in a hotel/motel etc so perhaps when we've settled it could be a possible business venture!!!

The accomodation in Carrum is apparantly 100m from the train track. I asked if it was noisey and the reply was " you'll only hear the sea"...... me thinks it's a bit of selling ploy

The accomodation that Alan has mentioned is closer to CBD in Hawthorn. Am awaiting further info so will let you know.

Onwards and upwards in my quest to find somewhere to stay...
Old Apr 27th 2004, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I definetely think there is a gap in the market - possibly for a "meet and greet and help you get set up for the first few weeks on arrival" kind of business. I'm absolutely clueless and if I thought I could get help like that would defo. go for it. I can't find any holiday rentals in Black Rock or surrounding areas. I don't want to stay in a hotel/motel etc so perhaps when we've settled it could be a possible business venture!!!

The accomodation in Carrum is apparantly 100m from the train track. I asked if it was noisey and the reply was " you'll only hear the sea"...... me thinks it's a bit of selling ploy

The accomodation that Alan has mentioned is closer to CBD in Hawthorn. Am awaiting further info so will let you know.

Onwards and upwards in my quest to find somewhere to stay...
Someone posted the same question about short term rental accommodation in Melbourne here but no reply yet! Some other helpful info though:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/f/1c94cf/

These are probably too expensive but:

http://www.albertheights.com.au/
http://www.cityedge.com/

I'll see if I can find anything tomorrow.

OzTennis
Old Apr 27th 2004, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Boozy is an unknown quantity at this point

Carrum is in my opinnion the ' cheap seats ' of thebayside suburbs.I wouldn't recommend it to stay there.there are also caravan parks..www.caravanparks.com.au .
Again, the one's in Carrum and surrounds have live in sections and there are definateky some dodgy residents around-most on the dole.
I have recommended The Blue Gum caravan Park(chelsea) before as i have personally visited the place.It's one minute walk to a 'pokies and food venue',Maccers and kfc are over the road and there is a petrol station across the road, and a few shops for essentials.Expect to pay 3-400 a week depending on your numbers.
The cabins are fully self contained...microwave tv heating fridge etc.
It is a 2 min drive to the beach and not set on the train line.
There is good road acess to all areas in the south and city.
The owners are really nice and the few ' live ons' don't seem to be a problem.The rental section is seperate from the liveins.
A lot of the Motels have serviced and un serviced apartments which are similar in price to the caravan parks.As you are in a complex with plenty of other people around you might find it a bit more secure.Caravan parks are busy in summer but pretty quiet at other times.
i have lived in melbourne for 7 years, worked and lived all over the city and suburbs.The bayside suburbs are without a doubt the best..close beautiful beaches...middle class,great schools etc
Old Apr 28th 2004, 3:13 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

This website might also be of interest Trudi (and others):
http://www.newcomersnetwork.com/mel/...tion/index.php

Best regards.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know if it's in the same sort of direction as Black Rock? I found some accomodation in Chelsea as well so perhaps I should reconsider that.

I'd go for Black Rock over Carrum any day they are worrld's apart in character - but be aware that BR is poorly served by public transport so you will need a car.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by NJFOZ
I'd go for Black Rock over Carrum any day they are worrld's apart in character - but be aware that BR is poorly served by public transport so you will need a car.
Agreed, Troood said they were hiring a car so 'no worries' on the public transport front. Mentone and Beaumaris stations aren't too far away from the inland parts of Black Rock anyway.

OzTennis
Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Agreed, Troood said they were hiring a car so 'no worries' on the public transport front. Mentone and Beaumaris stations aren't too far away from the inland parts of Black Rock anyway.

OzTennis

Thanks for all those lovely responses. Now all I've got to do is try and find accomodation in Black Rock. No easy task so far!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.