Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those who have had the movers round?

For those who have had the movers round?

Old Jul 7th 2003, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default For those who have had the movers round?

Have a question for you all. Had the movers around to give us a quote for shipping our stuff back from California to Oz.

Anyway guy told us it would be cheaper and quicker for us to ship in a 20 ft container. Reason why I question this is I don't think that we would have enough to fill a container of that size. It is only for my husband and myself, we live in a 3 bedroom apt., and have moved 7 times in the past 8 years, so we don't have a lot of "things" hanging around like others might. Also think he is taking the piss about it being quicker as he has quoted between 7 and 9 weeks. Hell, it is just a short trip across the Pacific and there shouldn't be any delay because it is our own container.

I am just a bit sceptical because I have seen previous postings where others have mentioned that you pay for your own container but they stuff it with other customers stuff.

So I guess what I want to know is for those of you who have filled a 20ft container, can you give me some idea of your household composition/roughly how much furniture you took so I can get some comparison.
Old Jul 7th 2003, 9:17 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

2 x settees
2 x double beds
2 x single beds#3 x dresser type units
large table and 8 chairs
160 hardback books 50 paperbacks
16 dozen glasses and 12 decanters
3 dinner and tea services
all kitchen utensils etc.
microwave washing m/c tumble dryer microwave 2 x fridges
1 fridge/freezer. ironing board and iron trestle table 6ft.
nest of tables circular large
sideboard
pouffe 2 sets of steps
2 x wardrobes
2 x chests of drawers
2 x bedside units
1 dressing table
computer and etc. plus 2 chairs
3 x televisions 3 x videos
30 videos in boxes
electric mix toaster sandwich maker kettle wok
various casseroles and loads of glass cake plates (my collection|)
loads of plates (plate rack around room)
equivalent of 5 x washing machine size loads of Colins tools
2 x bikes
1 x 4 drawer filing cabinet
2 x vacuum cleaners
1 trolley rack
all bedding towels pillows etc.
sewing machine
various lamps and fans
contents of office drawers - you guess
3 x suitcases full of clothes

I am told - by 7 companies - a full tight 20ft. load.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 9:48 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those who have had the movers round?

Originally posted by Vicky88
Have a question for you all. Had the movers around to give us a quote for shipping our stuff back from California to Oz.

Anyway guy told us it would be cheaper and quicker for us to ship in a 20 ft container. Reason why I question this is I don't think that we would have enough to fill a container of that size. It is only for my husband and myself, we live in a 3 bedroom apt., and have moved 7 times in the past 8 years, so we don't have a lot of "things" hanging around like others might. Also think he is taking the piss about it being quicker as he has quoted between 7 and 9 weeks. Hell, it is just a short trip across the Pacific and there shouldn't be any delay because it is our own container.

I am just a bit sceptical because I have seen previous postings where others have mentioned that you pay for your own container but they stuff it with other customers stuff.

So I guess what I want to know is for those of you who have filled a 20ft container, can you give me some idea of your household composition/roughly how much furniture you took so I can get some comparison.
Ask your shipper ,how many LIFT VANS you would require? we get 4 to a 20 ft container , this is the way that all u.s military is shipped in sealed lift vans ,with security tags on each corner, the most secure way but exspensive.............
MM
Old Jul 8th 2003, 9:58 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by yafm
2 x settees
2 x double beds
large table and 8 chairs
sideboard
pouffe 2 sets of steps
2 x wardrobes
2 x chests of drawers
2 x bedside units
1 dressing table
30 videos in boxes
2 x bikes
2 x vacuum cleaners
1 trolley rack
sewing machine
various lamps and fans

off the top of my head ,and working in oz parametres , your job comes in at 33.5 cum3 your average o/s dry goods cont ranges between 33-35 cum3 this on oz furniture sizes only......... MM
Old Jul 8th 2003, 10:32 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

I forgot 2 x ottomans
4 x underbed pine drawers
1 sewing box table
music centre
photograph albums - quite a few
Jar alibaba jar

I was intending to stuff everything with something ie jar could hold duvet and towels friges could be stuffed with empty tupperware and containers
wardrobes full of duvets and pillows
chair 'boxes' filled with video tapes and cushions

etc Does this sound ok?
Old Jul 8th 2003, 10:50 am
Banned

I forgot 2 x ottomans
4 x underbed pine drawers
1 sewing box table
music centre
photograph albums - quite a few
Jar alibaba jar

I was intending to stuff everything with something ie jar could hold duvet and towels friges could be stuffed with empty tupperware and containers
wardrobes full of duvets and pillows
chair 'boxes' filled with video tapes and cushions

etc Does this sound ok?
:scared: you got problems ............ mm
Old Jul 8th 2003, 11:10 am
too busy to work members

Big ones???????????

All 7 said it could be done (if they sent a woman foreman):scared: :scared:
Old Jul 8th 2003, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours didn't fit, ended up shipping 80cubic foot separately 450 extra quid. Not sure the items are worth it but had to make the decision on the pavement as the new owners ptrepared to take over the house.

Stressful or what!!

Hope to seee them in 7 weeks

Mash.
Big ones???????????

All 7 said it could be done (if they sent a woman foreman):scared: :scared:
Old Jul 8th 2003, 2:04 pm
too busy to work members

Hi Mash how you doing?

Did you quotation people tell you you could fit in 20 ft easily or were you warned it would be 'tight'?? Now I'm getting worried:scared:
Old Jul 8th 2003, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

scottc is an unknown quantity at this point

How much were you quoted for the 20ft Load?.

I am about to ship pretty much that amount to Wellington in a few months, but I am not at my house, so have been unable to get quotes.

2 x settees
2 x double beds
large table and 8 chairs
sideboard
pouffe 2 sets of steps
2 x wardrobes
2 x chests of drawers
2 x bedside units
1 dressing table
30 videos in boxes
2 x bikes
2 x vacuum cleaners
1 trolley rack
sewing machine
various lamps and fans

Old Jul 8th 2003, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm your replies makes me feel like someone is trying to take the piss. He didn't mention how many lift vans. Anyway this is a rough sketch of what we would be taking.

1 King size bed
1 Queen size bed
2 small bedside tables
1 3 seater sofa
1 coffee table
1 tv stand
1 tv
1 DVD player
1 4 seater dining table
4 chairs
1 outdoor setting with 6 chairs (table is collapsible)
1 study desk
4 plastic filing cabinets
2 bikes
1 3 shelf book case (dismantable)
Miscellaneous household items.
6 boxes of books (that is the book box size)

We don't have a lot of things, ie. only have 4 sheets, 6 towels, 6 coffee mugs, 6 dinner plates, etc. so can't see how we would possibly fill a container on our own.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 9:23 am
Banned

Originally posted by Vicky88
Hmm your replies makes me feel like someone is trying to take the piss. He didn't mention how many lift vans. Anyway this is a rough sketch of what we would be taking.

1 King size bed
1 Queen size bed
2 small bedside tables
1 3 seater sofa
1 coffee table
1 tv stand
1 tv
1 DVD player
1 4 seater dining table
4 chairs
1 outdoor setting with 6 chairs (table is collapsible)
1 study desk
4 plastic filing cabinets
2 bikes
1 3 shelf book case (dismantable)
Miscellaneous household items.
6 boxes of books (that is the book box size)

We don't have a lot of things, ie. only have 4 sheets, 6 towels, 6 coffee mugs, 6 dinner plates, etc. so can't see how we would possibly fill a container on our own.
vicky I DONT TAKE THE PISS, [unless its PB} your job cubes up at 10.2 m3 that is based on oz dimensions of what you have put forward , that equates to 2 liftvans or 1/2 a 20ft container , a lift van is a 6m3 crate which is sealed & plastic lined for protection this is how the US military freight all their HHG........... try www.interdean.be/interdeangroup. .... MM