Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Those who got pain in knees while living in the UK, did it stop once you moved to AU?

Those who got pain in knees while living in the UK, did it stop once you moved to AU?

Old May 22nd 2014, 1:15 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those who got pain in knees while living in the UK, did it stop once you moved to

Originally Posted by Jon77
Forget about financial benefits or lifestyle changes. The biggest difference for me since moving to Australia has been an improvement in my health.

In the winter of 2008 as a fit and healthy 30 year old I somehow managed to contract pneumonia. Had the not being able to breath thing and a lights flashing on the ambulance job. I was blue by the time I reached hospital.

Every cold damp period after this I would get a dull aching in my lungs, especially so in the winter of 2009/10 and 2010/11! Running which I previously enjoyed was difficult.

Since moving to Australia my lungs have improved no end The only time I feel something is for a very short period if the weather if cold and damp in late June or early July.

Also in the UK between April and mid June I suffered from VERY bad hayfever from tree pollen (those white horsechesnut candles) and rape seed fields. I am not talking just a bit of sneezing and running eyes here. If I didn't med up my eyes would totally close up and breathing become very difficult. Driving was impossible if I forgot my meds!

Sydney is surrounded mainly by eucalypt forest and they do not generate a pollen I have issues with. Just a few small pockets of Euro trees that make me sneeze but nothing like in the UK. The prevailing win here in summer is easterly off the sea also.

I can honestly say my health has really improved since moving here
I am also an ex-asthmatic (only get it in Adelaide?!) and ex-hayfever sufferer! Much better here - better skin and rarely unwell at all. I do know a few people though who are the opposite - humidity has a negative impact on their skin and the hayfever triggers for them are worse in Queensland.

It is obviously individual (as with most things!).
Old May 22nd 2014, 1:25 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those who got pain in knees while living in the UK, did it stop once you moved to

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Actually, a lot of Australians are deficient in vitamin D. According to research done at Deakin University it's up to 1/3 of us. http://www.deakin.edu.au/research/st...of-australians

I think it's years of being told to cover up, use sunscreen and stay out of the sun.
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes indeed, this is a problem. It can be helpful for the conditions mentioned, and others, though (vitamin D is my husband's life's work).
It's nice to see that people are waking up to the benefits of vitamins
Old May 22nd 2014, 1:37 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I injured my knee about 16 years ago.

Procrastinated about it until it was okay again.

Had pain off and on if I'd overdone things, or if I'd been favouring the other leg (I also get sciatica).

It got a lot worse in Australia then it got a lot better.

Of course, it got a lot worse because I was older, aggravated it more teaching the kids to drive (long story), wore through a big bit, got arthritis in it and then it got better because I had an operation on it.

Hope this helps.
Old May 22nd 2014, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

OH had really bad arthritis her fingers and suffered painful joints especially in winter. No pain at all here in WA and her hands are much more flexible.
Old May 22nd 2014, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the OPs question was daft, just badly articulated.

Looks like humidity is a factor but my wife got hay fever in Melbourne which pretty much disappeared.

The cat died and we think it might have been the cat all along. ..
Old May 22nd 2014, 7:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I don't think the OPs question was daft, just badly articulated.
Considering the replies the OP has had, I don't think it was even badly articulated.
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Considering the replies the OP has had, I don't think it was even badly articulated.
...in other words, people knew what they meant!!
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I think my knee has greatly improved. But much down to increased exercise in and out of water I think. And probably improved diet. And I suffered chronic Hay fever for much of my life. Though it got down to about 7 to 10 days in June in more recent years. Here I get itchy eyes on a very few occasions and the odd sneeze.
Old May 23rd 2014, 5:03 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Just seems to be an individual thing, my brother in NSW suffers from bad asthma but it goes when he visits the UK. I get mild asthma here but not in Brisbane. I have suffered from a bad back for many years and that has actually improved since being back here.
Old May 25th 2014, 4:25 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Old wives tale? Well whatever it is my knees have improved 100% since moving here.
Old May 25th 2014, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Br1t1sh
To those who got pain in knees while living in the UK, did it stop once you moved to Australia?
Well I came here at around 29,and after around 35 yrs here the knees were shot,replacement so the quack said.Felt as if I had a bag of marbles in there.As a big lad (6foot 3) I thought they would wear out.Told me about the risks of operating,I didn't fancy that so he said get on a pushbike.

Now I do around 90 mins every day on the bike,the knees are great,no more anti inflammatories,and I'm at the weight I was when I was young and fit.Win,win all round,blood pressure and everything great,heart as strong as a bull they say when I do my yearly MOT.Give it a go.Perth is great for a pushbike,when you are in Thailand ride a bike along beach road in Pattaya or anywhere in Hua Hin or Chiang Mai.Don't do it in Bkk,too dangerous.

Geordie downunder
Old May 25th 2014, 10:52 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

After 16 yrs in Oz, my arthritis finally flared up few years ago due to cold houses. I spend 4 mths of the year sleeping bugger all due to pain, I put it down to getting used to the climate.... What my body thought was warm few years ago is now freezing.... Saying this with heater going full blast, wearing flannel pjs, ugliest, winter coat on inside the house and it ain't even winter yet!
Old May 25th 2014, 12:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

As GCC said, I think it's down to the person, and the condition. Scouse's allergies disappear in the UK and Europe. I asked my rheumatologist if the colder weather would affect my rheumatoid arthritis when we move to the UK permanently. He just sort of snorted and said 'no'. Time will tell I suppose!
Old May 25th 2014, 9:21 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Are we talking about Australia or Lourdes?

Seriously though, my daughters eczema is much better here, and I've had less viruses.

I think it must be the sun (and increased vit D)I can't think of any other factor.
Old May 25th 2014, 9:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Eczema is far worse, now so bad that even a month in the UK doesn't gove it time to recover before returning to Brisbane. Arthritis does seem to be a little better in Aus, but thats outweighed by the new complaints caused by excessive air con at work- most notably the huge amount of dust in the air. Without aircon it would settle, with air con it floats in the air and gets blown into ears and eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.