British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Those who got pain in knees while living in the UK, did it stop once you moved to AU? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/those-who-got-pain-knees-while-living-uk-did-stop-once-you-moved-au-834476/)

Br1t1sh May 21st 2014 4:11 pm

Those who got pain in knees while living in the UK, did it stop once you moved to AU?

To those who got pain in knees while living in the UK, did it stop once you moved to Australia?

Pollyana May 21st 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Those who got pain in knees while living in the UK, did it stop once you moved to

Originally Posted by Br1t1sh (Post 11270322)
To those who got pain in knees while living in the UK, did it stop once you moved to Australia?

:confused: What sort of pain? Why would it stop or not? What sort of daft question is that ? :lol:

Bermudashorts May 21st 2014 8:28 pm

Re: Those who got pain in knees while living in the UK, did it stop once you moved to

Originally Posted by Br1t1sh (Post 11270322)

Hmmm an unusual question. Strangely, sometimes people think a move to Australia will change all kinds of things, like make them more sporty or outdoorsy and sometimes people think it will cure ailments. I have often come across people that think the asthma will get better, whereas in fact Australia has got very high rates of asthma and it really depends on the individual's trigger.

I just had a quick google on athritic types of pain and it appears that there is no evidence to support the theory that a change in climate will help joint pain, this is really just an old wives tale.

Br1t1sh May 21st 2014 9:19 pm

Looks like I need to provide a bit more background. Every time I travel to Thailand, Bali or Egypt, the knee pain goes away. It gets back a week after returning to the UK.

Buzzy--Bee May 21st 2014 9:20 pm

I have to say that both my knee pain and my eczema have reduced dramatically since living here. The latter may be explained by the less humidity here, not sure of the reason for the former.

BB

Pom_Chch May 21st 2014 9:25 pm

I'm not in Australia, but I thought I would add that the eczema on my hands is much better in New Zealand. Less flare ups and much more manageable. Apparently a mixture of cold and damp air is known to flare up certain types of eczema. Air is much dryer and it's not as cold here, which makes me happy :)

Molly Coddle May 21st 2014 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 11270706)
I have to say that both my knee pain and my eczema have reduced dramatically since living here. The latter may be explained by the less humidity here, not sure of the reason for the former.

BB

My friend who lives in WA had really bad Psoriasis, it's all gone now.
Following her move there it took about a year to completely go she said.:thumbup:

So there are definitely some health benefits to living in a sunnier climate.
Not sure about the knee trouble though, having said that I know that my Gran who suffered from arthritis, found it more bearable in summer..........So who knows....

Beoz May 21st 2014 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Br1t1sh (Post 11270704)
Looks like I need to provide a bit more background. Every time I travel to Thailand, Bali or Egypt, the knee pain goes away. It gets back a week after returning to the UK.

Sounds like your knees like heat.

Sally Redux May 21st 2014 10:31 pm

Could be due to increased levels of vitamin D.

Dorothy May 21st 2014 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11270780)
Could be due to increased levels of vitamin D.

Actually, a lot of Australians are deficient in vitamin D. According to research done at Deakin University it's up to 1/3 of us. http://www.deakin.edu.au/research/st...of-australians

I think it's years of being told to cover up, use sunscreen and stay out of the sun.

Sally Redux May 21st 2014 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11270824)
Actually, a lot of Australians are deficient in vitamin D. According to research done at Deakin University it's up to 1/3 of us. http://www.deakin.edu.au/research/st...of-australians

I think it's years of being told to cover up, use sunscreen and stay out of the sun.

Yes indeed, this is a problem. It can be helpful for the conditions mentioned, and others, though (vitamin D is my husband's life's work).

renth May 22nd 2014 12:17 am

My asthma went when I moved to WA. It comes back whenever I go to Queensland though.

Jon77 May 22nd 2014 1:06 am

Forget about financial benefits or lifestyle changes. The biggest difference for me since moving to Australia has been an improvement in my health.

In the winter of 2008 as a fit and healthy 30 year old I somehow managed to contract pneumonia. Had the not being able to breath thing and a lights flashing on the ambulance job. I was blue by the time I reached hospital.

Every cold damp period after this I would get a dull aching in my lungs, especially so in the winter of 2009/10 and 2010/11! Running which I previously enjoyed was difficult.

Since moving to Australia my lungs have improved no end:thumbup: The only time I feel something is for a very short period if the weather if cold and damp in late June or early July.

Also in the UK between April and mid June I suffered from VERY bad hayfever from tree pollen (those white horsechesnut candles) and rape seed fields. I am not talking just a bit of sneezing and running eyes here. If I didn't med up my eyes would totally close up and breathing become very difficult. Driving was impossible if I forgot my meds!

Sydney is surrounded mainly by eucalypt forest and they do not generate a pollen I have issues with. Just a few small pockets of Euro trees that make me sneeze but nothing like in the UK. The prevailing win here in summer is easterly off the sea also.

I can honestly say my health has really improved since moving here :thumbup:

moneypenny20 May 22nd 2014 1:13 am

My really debilitating migraines near as damn it went as soon as we moved over. Wasn't expecting it, never even considered climate playing a part but hey I'm not knocking it. If your knee pain is down to cold and damp and you're good when on holiday, I'd say you'll be good here. (Not an expert, don't sue me if you suffer just as much). :D

Sally Redux May 22nd 2014 1:14 am

Are we talking about Australia or Lourdes? :lol: