Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those who did a Skype interview before....

For those who did a Skype interview before....

Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of
Default For those who did a Skype interview before....

Hi,

So I have the first Skype interview tomorrow and I'm just wondering....did you used video & voice or just voice?

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice
Default Re: For those who did a Skype interview before....

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Hi,

So I have the first Skype interview tomorrow and I'm just wondering....did you used video & voice or just voice?

Cheers
B!K3R
Video & Voice....that is the main reason that employers use Skype rather than the phone.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by colonel
Video & Voice....that is the main reason that employers use Skype rather than the phone.
Thanks mate
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate
I did two - one over a professional VC system and another over Skype (and two more on the phone) - just be careful not to talk over the interviewer, its easily done. And depending on the company, wear your best suit (I got feedback saying "he presented well").
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by freebo
I did two - one over a professional VC system and another over Skype (and two more on the phone) - just be careful not to talk over the interviewer, its easily done. And depending on the company, wear your best suit (I got feedback saying "he presented well").
Just as an aside - how well does skype video work for Aus - UK? Got to set it up for my mother before I leave. thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by freebo
Thanks for the tips Freebo!!!

The first one is a Behavioral interview, the second will be a technical one. Yep, I'll surely suit up!

Guess I'll need lots of coffee at 5am

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

Skype works well if you have a good webcam combined with a good broadband connection. I use it to speak with family members based in London.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zultan
Just as an aside - how well does skype video work for Aus - UK? Got to set it up for my mother before I leave. thanks.
Well, I have 12Mbps and 512K upload (and they have around 6Mbps/256K) and it works very well when I call relatives in Australia on Skype (video & audio).

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zultan
Works pretty well.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Cheers
B!K3R
Please, please for the love of god make sure that there is no random Avatar software on your machine before the interview starts Honest to god I did my interview on Skype and all they could see at my end was a talking cat!! I couldn't get rid of it for love nor money and after 15 mins of this bizarre thing on my screen I gave up and I could see them but they couldn't see me. Fortunately on the second round I got my camera working properly (and subsequently got the job) but it was really offputting!

This software I think got downloaded with Skype when we upgraded to Windows 7 and I had no idea.....just worth checking everything first good luck.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Please, please for the love of god make sure that there is no random Avatar software on your machine before the interview starts Honest to god I did my interview on Skype and all they could see at my end was a talking cat!! I couldn't get rid of it for love nor money and after 15 mins of this bizarre thing on my screen I gave up and I could see them but they couldn't see me. Fortunately on the second round I got my camera working properly (and subsequently got the job) but it was really offputting!

This software I think got downloaded with Skype when we upgraded to Windows 7 and I had no idea.....just worth checking everything first good luck.
Hehehe, sorry to hear that happened to you mate. Yes, I'll make sure everything will be perfect

Thanks!!!

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Given it is a remote call to a different country I would do everything to emphasise my commitment to Australia.

Slip in a mention of your Australian rellies, your previous life in Melbourne, your long term intention to stay etc etc....make it seem like they are employing someone who already lives locally and will forever...just to get over the obvious disadvantage they will be thinking about...ie will he arrive and will he stay

Maybe even hold your nose while talking
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fish.01
Given it is a remote call to a different country I would do everything to emphasise my commitment to Australia.

Slip in a mention of your Australian rellies, your previous life in Melbourne, your long term intention to stay etc etc....make it seem like they are employing someone who already lives locally and will forever...just to get over the obvious disadvantage they will be thinking about...ie will he arrive and will he stay

Maybe even hold your nose while talking
Hehehe, good one Fish.01....and good point too, I agree.

Oh yes, I'll be there to stay, no doubt out that I'll make that clear.

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

stenik will become famous soon enough

The very best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes........

The guy my Husband is going to work with Skype's him regularly from Perth and it works great.........and it will be my main contact with said Husband for the next 2 weeks........so hope it still works as good!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stenik
The very best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes........

The guy my Husband is going to work with Skype's him regularly from Perth and it works great.........and it will be my main contact with said Husband for the next 2 weeks........so hope it still works as good!

Thank you stenik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.