Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are those on temporary partner visas eligible for corona virus support?

Are those on temporary partner visas eligible for corona virus support?

Old Mar 31st 2020, 3:16 am
Just Joined

sharpy96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are those on temporary partner visas eligible for corona virus support?

My Australian partner has been stood down from his role, as he only started working there on 3rd March he is not eligible for the new JobKeeper payments (must’ve been with company since 1st March for this), and I have had my hours cut from 40 a week to 16. We’re very very worried as you can imagine. He can claim jobseekers which will be about $1000 a fortnight but I was wondering if I was eligible for any support from centrelink during this time being on the 309 visa? I’ve submitted everything for my PR subclass 100 and thought it would’ve come through by now, but I imagine the virus is delaying everything.
Ive found conflicting information online, some saying I am eligible for some support and then some others saying I’m not eligible for a single penny- but a lot of that predates covid. I can’t get through to centrelink at all.
Does anyone have any accurate and up-to-date info on this?
Thanks again
Old Mar 31st 2020, 4:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are those on temporary partner visas eligible for corona virus support?

Originally Posted by sharpy96 View Post
My Australian partner has been stood down from his role, as he only started working there on 3rd March he is not eligible for the new JobKeeper payments (must’ve been with company since 1st March for this), and I have had my hours cut from 40 a week to 16. We’re very very worried as you can imagine. He can claim jobseekers which will be about $1000 a fortnight but I was wondering if I was eligible for any support from centrelink during this time being on the 309 visa? I’ve submitted everything for my PR subclass 100 and thought it would’ve come through by now, but I imagine the virus is delaying everything.
Ive found conflicting information online, some saying I am eligible for some support and then some others saying I’m not eligible for a single penny- but a lot of that predates covid. I can’t get through to centrelink at all.
Does anyone have any accurate and up-to-date info on this?
Thanks again
This info was published two hours ago on SBS, with quotes from the PM. https://www.sbs.com.au/news/calls-fo...y-visa-holders

Also check out this government website regarding waiting periods for some benefits being waived due to the coronavirus, including special benefit. You may also be eligible for a low income health care card https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au...esidence-rules

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Mar 31st 2020 at 4:52 am.