Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Those with PR - do you have additional Medical Insurance...

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Private Medical Insurance in Aus: YES? OR NO?
YES
60.53%
NO
39.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Those with PR - do you have additional Medical Insurance...

Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:54 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those with PR - do you have additional Medical Insurance...

No...under 100k...whole family has had varying levels of surgery.

Aussies tend to moan about the health service..no complaints from me
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Yes.

100k thing.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I took it out for the family mainly due to the Medicare Levy. The insurance costs more than I would save, but I've added bits into it to cover all future orthodontic treatment for my daughter as that can be VERY VERY expensive. I also needed a wisdom tooth removed in hospital last year - after paying a bill for $2500 I signed up for insurance. [I'm also a contractor so I can't afford to be unable to work whilst waiting for an operation].

Certainly if the family income hits the threshold then it becomes worthwhile.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:56 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dejags
and if your answer is yes, would you mind telling me why you opted for it?
the same as most - ....because I can get health insurance cheaper than my Medicare Levy Surcharge would otherwise be.

Whats the story with dental if you dont have private, you cant claim any of it back from medicare can you?
So while most peoples private cover wont cover 100% of the cost, the bills if you have to pay all of it could be massive, how do everyday family's afford it???
I've never understood how dentists are able to get away with charging so much.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:58 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Last time we went to the dentist the whole family (3 of us) got the usual 'spit&polish' treatment for an out of pocket cost of $4! (I guess the health insurance did actually cover something then?! )
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:09 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We don't earn over 100k and are unlikely to as far as I can see. Medicare has been brilliant for us, not felt the need to pay for extra cover.
Similar situation. In the 15 months we have been here, youngest daughter has broken her arm, eldest daughter has had mole removed,(purely cosmetic) and husband has had tumour removed under general anaesthetic, all through the public system. I can only echo what Moneypenny has said, Medicare has been brilliant for us too.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Same as everyone else. We have it for three reasons:

1. It costs us less for the hospital cover than we'd pay for the extra Medicare levy.

2. We're 'in the system' so will not be slugged for more expensive premiums if we try to take it out later when we get older (and sicker).

3. We have it there to use if we want to.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:45 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Ambulance cover is a must and make sure its full cover not just 1/3

Debate all you want it comes down to the individual and their particular medical situation.

Weigh up the medical levy versus cost of insurance, and mix in your own sense of risk.

Shop around and be wary not all policies are advertised on Iselect and similar websites - some funds object to paying exorbidant amounts for this service - which in turn need to be passed on to the consumer - YOU.

Watch this space with the merger (takeover) of BUPA and MBF (BUPA trade as HBA over here).
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:49 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dejags
and if your answer is yes, would you mind telling me why you opted for it?
at the end of the day medicare will fix you up eventually. if you can afford it i would have it. i am getting a knee operation next week. would be $3500 if i paid for it and only $600 covered by medicare. the insuranse will pick up the bill. $300 excess.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Have had it for many years especially when we had a young family. We took it out because we were over the limit for the levy and because the boys looked like needing braces. Since then I have had several surgeries - the major ones were very definitely better under private medical - I would probably still be waiting in panadeine forte level pain for one of them as it was classed as elective surgery. Because we have been members for so long we pay the lowest premiums but if we quit and then wanted to get back in, premiums would be far higher.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:47 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

What is the medicare levy charge?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:12 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tawkins1
What is the medicare levy charge?
medicare charge : the 1.5% of your taxable income that everyone pays (unless you are in one of the exemption categories)

medicare levy surcharge : an additional 1% of your taxable income (if it is over 50k p.a. for an individual OR 100k total for household).

Ref :
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...pc=001/002/030
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:16 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
at the end of the day medicare will fix you up eventually. if you can afford it i would have it. i am getting a knee operation next week. would be $3500 if i paid for it and only $600 covered by medicare. the insuranse will pick up the bill. $300 excess.
You will probably find that the insurance won't anything like cover the non-medicare bill. The "gap" payment only pays the difference between the medicare assessed fee and the 80% of that which medicare actually pays.

Insurance will pay the hospital bills, but the surgeons', anaestetists', path etc bills are only covered in a small part.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:07 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, over 50K thing for singles. Also, I did a LOT of searching and found a great policy that has no co-contributions or excess to pay and covers just about everything. Only $98 per month which when you take into account how much my Medicare Levy thingy would be (if I didn't have private cover) is only about $2 a week for cover! I get that back from a single prescription rebate or dentist check up.

It always depends on individual circumstances but for me it's brilliant.

PS. I can highly reccommend www.cdhbf.com.au
Old Apr 8th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Yes, due to medicare levy, but also needing extras, dental, contact lenses etc. and other stuff like osteo, massage all included so pays for itself even without hospital care (touch wood)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.