Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those left behind.....

For those left behind.....

Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:32 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Angry For those left behind.....

So everyone seems to be leaving at the moment, heading off to Oz, all happy and carefree. Had things gone according to plan, me and Mr B would have left for Oz last week but instead, we're stuck here for another year

Anyone else feeling like their Down Under Dream will never happen?
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:42 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those left behind.....

It helps when I think that we started getting info together around 20 mths ago and sometime it does'nt feel that long ago, and within another 20 mths we will be in Oz. It also helps we have a bubs on the way to think about, but even with that some decisions are made in relation to Oz

Although saying that it does feel that we are still just talking about it and the reality has not yet arrived. Think that stage will start with getting the visa stuck in our passports then with house sale and packing - oohhh the nightmares to come
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:47 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by walaj
It helps when I think that we started getting info together around 20 mths ago and sometime it does'nt feel that long ago, and within another 20 mths we will be in Oz. It also helps we have a bubs on the way to think about, but even with that some decisions are made in relation to Oz

Although saying that it does feel that we are still just talking about it and the reality has not yet arrived. Think that stage will start with getting the visa stuck in our passports then with house sale and packing - oohhh the nightmares to come
Thing is, we've been planning our move back for nearly 5 years now and it's driving me mad! I had my whole application ready to post, then my mum got sick and it all went on hold. I can't even bring myself to look through the application at the moment, the whole thing depresses me so much. Just want to be there, not hang around for another year.

But you're right, the last year has flashed by so this one will too, and once I get my visa, the ball will really get rolling and it'll fly by.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:56 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Wow bundy, I just noticed from your profile you're nearly 10 years younger than me. Well, life speeds up as I'm sure you know. A year will go by probably faster than you want it to.
Just hang in there.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:56 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
Thing is, we've been planning our move back for nearly 5 years now and it's driving me mad! I had my whole application ready to post, then my mum got sick and it all went on hold. I can't even bring myself to look through the application at the moment, the whole thing depresses me so much. Just want to be there, not hang around for another year.

But you're right, the last year has flashed by so this one will too, and once I get my visa, the ball will really get rolling and it'll fly by.
probably no help but if ,with extra year ,it gets you PR and your dream job is advertised as PR/citizen only- then will be a worth while year

-know you would have preferred it under different circumstances
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:57 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

ok you win on the 'I've been waiting longer than you' stakes

To help time go by, the joys of a baby is a lot better than the pain you have been through with your mothers' illness. If I remember rightly is'nt she on the road to recovery?

So have you not sent application off to DIMIA yet? Spouse visa?

At least the waiting for us is (mainly) on our terms (medicals delayed til after baby born) rather than DIMIA unknown timeframe.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:59 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by seang
probably no help but if ,with extra year ,it gets you PR and your dream job is advertised as PR/citizen only- then will be a worth while year

-know you would have preferred it under different circumstances

I know, that's the idea. To be honest, we could have gone over at Christmas time as my mum is doing really well. But then we've decided to get married here first, and that'll happen next August, then straight on the plane to Oz!

I know the wait will be worth it, but we'd got so psyched up to got this year, and now it's not happening, we're both a bit down about it.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:01 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I know, that's the idea. To be honest, we could have gone over at Christmas time as my mum is doing really well. But then we've decided to get married here first, and that'll happen next August, then straight on the plane to Oz!

I know the wait will be worth it, but we'd got so psyched up to got this year, and now it's not happening, we're both a bit down about it.
same here in away - applied nov .Seen plently of got it's from after that date AND with new procedures in place a few of the post july1 app's have had med requests
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:01 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by walaj
ok you win on the 'I've been waiting longer than you' stakes

To help time go by, the joys of a baby is a lot better than the pain you have been through with your mothers' illness. If I remember rightly is'nt she on the road to recovery?

So have you not sent application off to DIMIA yet? Spouse visa?

At least the waiting for us is (mainly) on our terms (medicals delayed til after baby born) rather than DIMIA unknown timeframe.

Yeah, my mum is doing really well and now she feels guilty for delaying our plans. I don't resent her for it, of course, I was so glad to be here to help. But I am totally frustrated by the whole thing, not least because I have to stay in my job for a year.

Will be applying for spouse visa, hopefully PR straight off because of being together for over 5 years. Want to front end load, so won't be sending it off for months yet, probably April next year.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:03 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by seang
same here in away - applied nov .Seen plently of got it's from after that date AND with new procedures in place a few of the post july1 app's have had med requests

I think it's the Got Its that have been getting me down. That and the fact that so many forum buddies are there or on their way - Loose, Simone, MMW & Anya, Bananas, Pollyana, Pollster.....
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

I think it's the Got Its that have been getting me down. That and the fact that so many forum buddies are there or on their way - Loose, Simone, MMW & Anya, Bananas, Pollyana, Pollster.....

Don't think we'll be going anywhere for a while. Major problems selling our house (lack of interest!) so September is looking very unlikely.

It seems like the more plans get pushed back, the more you get entrenched in your UK life again, Oz gets pushed out and thats when you start thinking why are we bothering?

Need a buyer fast !!!!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:22 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by sjn2003
Don't think we'll be going anywhere for a while. Major problems selling our house (lack of interest!) so September is looking very unlikely.

It seems like the more plans get pushed back, the more you get entrenched in your UK life again, Oz gets pushed out and thats when you start thinking why are we bothering?

Need a buyer fast !!!!

I know that feeling well. W've been wanting to get back to Oz for so long, but it really doesn't feel like it's ever going to happen, and I get to wondering if it really would be so bad to stay here.....then I snap out of it (esp when the weather is this bad!)

How long have you got to validate your visas?
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

I know that feeling well. W've been wanting to get back to Oz for so long, but it really doesn't feel like it's ever going to happen, and I get to wondering if it really would be so bad to stay here.....then I snap out of it (esp when the weather is this bad!)

How long have you got to validate your visas?

Validated in March (had to be in by Sept 2nd) so no rush but that's part of the problem. No real deadline to get us moving.

Not getting any younger though and job here is driving me nuts. After the summer house sales dry up and cannot imagine still being here next spring:scared: UK summer is crap enough without having to go through another winter

Can't go without selling the house as have no cash, so will have to stay put and try and stay positive

Shouldn't you be too busy for Expats ??
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:55 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sjn2003
Validated in March (had to be in by Sept 2nd) so no rush but that's part of the problem. No real deadline to get us moving.

Not getting any younger though and job here is driving me nuts. After the summer house sales dry up and cannot imagine still being here next spring:scared: UK summer is crap enough without having to go through another winter

Can't go without selling the house as have no cash, so will have to stay put and try and stay positive

Shouldn't you be too busy for Expats ??

I'm in the same boat as you.... We've had our visas since dec 2002....we were already going through the process of moving house at the time to get in catchment for a secondary school as we weren't 100% sure we wanted to emigrate. We validated our visas in March 2003...2 weeks after moving into the new house...when we got back we decided to go for it....tart the house up and stick it on the market....which we did in January this year. And yet we're still here...unable to sell it
We too can't go without selling first as we need the cash...we did think of renting it out but decided it was too scary to contemplate as if we had no tenants in it there's no way we could pay the mortgage on oz wages
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Chin up bundy; you know you WILL make it here,and if you get here with PR because of waiting the extra time, so much the better.I know its easy to say when I'm already here, but I mean it, things will work out for you I'm sure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.