Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those with Kids.......

For those with Kids.......

Old Apr 15th 2004, 9:44 am
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Arrow For those with Kids.......

When are you pulling/ did you pull..... them out of uk schooling?

I work at the same school as my younger two...... and was hoping to pull them out of school mid july b4 the summer hols start...... and at the same time hand in my notice.....(or I can hand it in during the hols should i decide to do that...)

Ideally we would like to move to Australia around August/september time once the GCSE results are out......

but...... all this depends on selling our home..... as yet no offers

I don't want to hand in my notice unless we have sold the house....but how can i finish my little ones at school if i may have to return to work in Sept.....

any views.......

love boomie
xxx xxx
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I'm sort of in the same position.

I work at a secondary school and I am unsure when to finish work. We haven't sold the house yet but we were planning on going a week after the kids break up.

I was going to leave when we break up for the summer hols but that means that if we go the week after then it will leave me with not time to pack etc. I am now thinking of leaving beginning of June instead.

Having said that, what worries me is that if we can't sell the house then I am left with no income until we do! Hubbie has a job to go to and must be their September the latest.

Ohh, its all so confusing isn't it?

Mandy
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:06 am
earlswood

And that makes three of us

Can't leave untill kids have finished school, got visa grant today but havn't sold the house yet

No one at my workplace knows anything about OZ, I would like to give 3 months notice now but with the house not being sold we can't afford my income to be gone too soon either.

Anyway I'm on a high today so I'll think about it tomorrow

Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:13 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Boomie,

We made sure we came out at the start of the school year here (January) and I'm really glad we did. Joseph settled in no problem and he wasn't the only new person in his class so I think it made it easier to mix. They were all in the same position of having to get used to a new teacher.

Jane
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:20 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

I would leave them in until the end of the school term. Otherwise they'd miss out on any 'end of school year' activities. After all, they're only at school for a couple of weeks in July anyway, so what's the difference? Plus, it's extra wages for yourself!

If you are definitely going to pull them out, then you can write to the school during the holidays asking them to be removed from the register. If it turns out that you're going to be here for a bit longer, say sept/oct, then tell the school that you are going to home educate and ask them to remove them from the register. (I can help you with this bit!)

Steve.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Yes, I would leave the kids in until the summer hols. My son is ten and I intend to keep him at school until then. He will have time off until September anyway. It's just one less thing you have to worry about. Then, if you do leave early you can get things sorted without the kids being underfoot!

Anyway, kids love end of term. I know they don't do much work but that's the reason they like it and they will be finishing the same time as all their friends.

Haing said all that, I am still unsure what to do for the best.

Mandy
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

Very cruel I know but we are taking ours out of their UK school on the 25 June As school term starts on 22 July in Sydney - ours will start mid year and only have a month rather than a 6 week break. We just felt the sooner they started in their new school the better, mainly to make friends -

On the job front I found honesty the best policy and told my employers, theyve basically given me an 'Open' notice period - people do understand that there are so many variables in this whole saga!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:37 am

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by SteveBannister
I would leave them in until the end of the school term. Otherwise they'd miss out on any 'end of school year' activities. After all, they're only at school for a couple of weeks in July anyway, so what's the difference? Plus, it's extra wages for yourself!

If you are definitely going to pull them out, then you can write to the school during the holidays asking them to be removed from the register. If it turns out that you're going to be here for a bit longer, say sept/oct, then tell the school that you are going to home educate and ask them to remove them from the register. (I can help you with this bit!)

Steve.

I can understand wot ure saying steve......

and the kids wont deff be leaving b4 16th July...... Charlotte has work experience in the infants during those last two weeks too....

But I would not like to pull em out during the hols as u put it..... as this is a life changing move and the children need to say good bye to their friends properly and feel that end ov year would be more appropriate.....

My concern is that i dont want to hand ma notice in at school b4 we have sold..... I have been told I can hand it in during the school hols...... but have to give 4 weeks.....which i think is a lot to be honest for someone workin 15 hrs a week.....

So what happens come sept... if we havent sold.....do i return to work..... do i keep the kids off ..... or do i have to send em back due to me workin in the same school..... we dont want to run the risk of upsetting them...... i mean they will have done their good byes once and a second time would be cruel.....

love boomie
xxxxx
Old Apr 15th 2004, 1:07 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

So, why not tell the kids to say their goodbyes at the end of the school year?

In your first post, you said about pulling the kids out in 'mid July'. As the summer hols start in the 3rd week in July, that's only a weeks difference. What's the point? Let the kids enjoy the last week at school and say their goodbyes.

If you don't leave your job at the end of the school year or during the hols, then you've got to go back to work in Sept to work your notice with the kids at home having left the school.

Anyway, this is just based on what you've told us in your posts. Knowing you, it's all subject to change!

One thing is for sure, what ever you decide to do, I know that there will be a camera involved!

Steve
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:19 pm

So, why not tell the kids to say their goodbyes at the end of the school year?

In your first post, you said about pulling the kids out in 'mid July'. As the summer hols start in the 3rd week in July, that's only a weeks difference. What's the point? Let the kids enjoy the last week at school and say their goodbyes.

If you don't leave your job at the end of the school year or during the hols, then you've got to go back to work in Sept to work your notice with the kids at home having left the school.

Anyway, this is just based on what you've told us in your posts. Knowing you, it's all subject to change!

One thing is for sure, what ever you decide to do, I know that there will be a camera involved!

Steve
spliting hairs here...... mid july to me IS when they finish for the summer hols..... Friday 16th July sounds mid to me don't ya think.....

love Boomie
xxx
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:55 pm
I Know What's Going On!

I wasn't trying to split hairs at all. I think you've confused a few of us because you said....... "and was hoping to pull them out of school mid july b4 the summer hols start".

See. "B4 the summer hols start"

So we were thinking, why not leave the kids UNTIL the school holidays start. Sounded like no mare than a weeks difference as school holidays vary around the country.

Can't dispute the use of a camera, though, can you!

I rest my case!

Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:05 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Come on...I know there's a sarcastic reply on it's way!!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:06 pm

I wasn't trying to split hairs at all. I think you've confused a few of us because you said....... "and was hoping to pull them out of school mid july b4 the summer hols start".

See. "B4 the summer hols start"

So we were thinking, why not leave the kids UNTIL the school holidays start. Sounded like no mare than a weeks difference as school holidays vary around the country.

Can't dispute the use of a camera, though, can you!

I rest my case!

bugger off.......... you knew exactly when i meant...... why would I loose a weeks pay on the easiest week ov term....lol

and regardin the camera...... photo albums/memory books are already on the go.... even more so now we have the grant...... i'm sure the flag will be waffting on a few pix durin lunch time.....

any luck with ure house steve....

love boomie
xx
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:11 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Hi boomie,

Understand your dilemma, but I think it depends on the age of your kids. Our son is 12 and is at high school our daughter is 8, we plan to go to Oz for the new school year in jan as our son will start high school newly with everyone else and hopefully the same for our daughter we felt it would be an easier transition and also allow them to have xmas at home. So at least they would have had a year to settle in the country before xmas comes again.

Arron"s mrs's.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:11 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Originally posted by Boomie
bugger off.......... you knew exactly when i meant...... why would I loose a weeks pay on the easiest week ov term....lol

and regardin the camera...... photo albums/memory books are already on the go.... even more so now we have the grant...... i'm sure the flag will be waffting on a few pix durin lunch time.....

any luck with ure house steve....

love boomie
xx
I did wonder! Don't worry, I'll accept the apology!

House is being advertised. Photos went on the site today. Just got to sit back and wait!

http://www.propertybroker.com/proper...ropertyID=4731

Shippers came on Tuesday for their final quote. They only need 2 weeks notice.

Getting closer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.