Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those interested in house bill costs

For those interested in house bill costs

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 3:51 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of
Default For those interested in house bill costs

Just did a quick tally the other day of our 'housy/car' outgoings and thought it may help some people in their planning....

These are monthly outgoings but some are not necessarily required to be paid monthly. I live on Sunshine Coast with my partner, no kids, 1 car (Corsa) and 1 Vespa 50cc, large 4 bed home and no satellite TV to give you an idea...
I have excluded food as this varies massively if you read other threads, especially ones that talk about lettuce prices!

Rates (equivalent to council tax) - $185 / month (can work out cheaper if you pay the year up front!)
Electric bill - $35 / month
Phone - $100/month average
Internet dial up - $19.95
Petrol for both vehicles - $160 / month ($35/week for car and $5/week for scooter).
Car & Scooter registration - $80/month for both average

Hoorah for no gas and Tv licence. Rates include: water (we paid something like $50 for 6 months consumption last time!!!!), sewerage, wheely bins and ambulance cover.

If you're planning on renting when you arrive, your rent will include rates normally so you only really have to pay for electric and phone bills.

Hope this helps anyone trying to figure out their budgets

Sunshine Sarah
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:17 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: For those interested in house bill costs

Nice one, thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
Just did a quick tally the other day of our 'housy/car' outgoings and thought it may help some people in their planning....

These are monthly outgoings but some are not necessarily required to be paid monthly. I live on Sunshine Coast with my partner, no kids, 1 car (Corsa) and 1 Vespa 50cc, large 4 bed home and no satellite TV to give you an idea...
I have excluded food as this varies massively if you read other threads, especially ones that talk about lettuce prices!

Rates (equivalent to council tax) - $185 / month (can work out cheaper if you pay the year up front!)
Petrol for both vehicles - $160 / month ($35/week for car and $5/week for scooter).

Hoorah for no gas and Tv licence. Rates include: water (we paid something like $50 for 6 months consumption last time!!!!), sewerage, wheely bins and ambulance cover.

If you're planning on renting when you arrive, your rent will include rates normally so you only really have to pay for electric and phone bills.

Sunshine Sarah
Hi SS - why is there no gas bill???? i know its going to be something like there is no gas....but is that in your place/everywhere???
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Hi SS - why is there no gas bill???? i know its going to be something like there is no gas....but is that in your place/everywhere???
No Gas that I know of, lots of people have gas cookers, pool heaters, water heaters etc but they use bottle gas.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:13 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this Sarah.
Very useful info
Julie. x
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:15 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Gas does exist but only some areas have mains 'town' gas, like back in the UK.

Range gas cookers are still popular so if you live in an area with no mains gas (like Sunshine Coast), then you have to run off bottled gas ande people do. I believe there are parts of Brisbane on mains gas. It will start to have a bearing on anyone building new homes as after March 1st 2006, all new builds are no longer allowed electric hot water tanks so must go to solar or gas. Bottled gas up here on SUnshine Coast can cost more to run for something like hot water systems than solar.

I still like having one less bill but I really miss my old range cooker I had in UK and wish I had brought it over - they are expensive here in comparison.

Hope that helps
Sunshine Sarah
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Gas does exist but only some areas have mains 'town' gas, like back in the UK.

Range gas cookers are still popular so if you live in an area with no mains gas (like Sunshine Coast), then you have to run off bottled gas ande people do. I believe there are parts of Brisbane on mains gas. It will start to have a bearing on anyone building new homes as after March 1st 2006, all new builds are no longer allowed electric hot water tanks so must go to solar or gas. Bottled gas up here on SUnshine Coast can cost more to run for something like hot water systems than solar.

I still like having one less bill but I really miss my old range cooker I had in UK and wish I had brought it over - they are expensive here in comparison.

Hope that helps
Sunshine Sarah
well i didnt know that SS - you learn something new everyday...cheers for that insight. i agree one less bill will do for us too.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:08 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine Sarah
always interested in collecting more info on cost of living!
Thanks for taking the time - K sent

Tiggs
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine Sarah
Live about 4 klm from buderim and the same costs but for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids at home.

Rates, Same
Electricity 166 month
Phone home phone same, mobiles one on $80 plan one on $40 plan
Internet dial up unlimited with kids we need that $30
Petrol Partner $560 a month (tradesman) Son not living with us incidently uses similar! Utes.
Me trotting the kids around and working around $240 month small wagon
Pay TV cause the free TV is dire $50 a month
Private health insurance $225 month
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:51 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: For those interested in house bill costs

Wow, looks like sunshinesarah really knows how to manage a household. I can't imagine there's much waste or unnecessary spending at her place!

You go, girl!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:06 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sarah,
That made for good reading and gives me some idea what we will be in for.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:26 am
sunshinesarah

One of things I just can't justify is the pay TV thing for $80/month.
We go to Video Ezy every Tuesday (Cheapie Tuesday) where you can rent ANY DVD for $1. So we get around 5 per week so we have enough films in case Tv's crap - which it always is and that does us.

Though we're consistently contemplating getting it just for the Footie.

I think I would consider Private Health if I had a family....

Sunshine Sarah
Old Apr 25th 2006, 10:54 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine Sarah
Well thats about half the cost of what I pay out in bills for my little shoe box house in manchester!
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Our are as follows......

Landline $34 - $50 pm (we use skype or go card to phone UK)

Rates $151 pm

Elec ...no bill as yet (per 1/4)

Gas...no bill as yet (per 1/4)

Broadband (512k) $60 pm

Petrol $240 pm

Lotto $28 pm (basic quickpick)

Kindy $710 pm 5 days per week (this is with the minimum from gov of $0.46ish per hour to max of 50 hrs, around $25 per week)

Mobile (for 2) $20 pm

Insurance $155 (life for 2 for $500,000, car ford falcon 2002 fully comp, buildings, contents $90,000 due to art work)

hope this helps, if you need any more details like mortgage or food just PM me

Martin
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:30 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine Sarah
great post mate, and great budgeting ...so can you lend me some money?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.