Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Those emigrating with kids and VEGEMITE...

Those emigrating with kids and VEGEMITE...

Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:58 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Those emigrating with kids and VEGEMITE...

Hi there !

My kids absolutely love Marmite so all the stories on here about Vegemite were worrying me !

Get yourselves down to Tesco's they sell Vegemite and you can do a taster !

Well my kids said "It doesnt really taste any different !"

In fact they have it now instead of marmite to get used to it !!

Nick

Last edited by nick72; Mar 28th 2006 at 5:59 am. Reason: typos
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those emigrating with kids and VEGEMITE...

Originally Posted by nick72
Hi there !

My kids absoloutley love Marmite so all the stories on here about Vegemite were worrying me !

Nick
You're lucky - we just gave our son Josh vegemite one morning on his toast and he said "Urgh ... this marmite has gone off!" ... hehe .. not that bothered though because I know where to get hold of the real stuff
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there !

My kids absolutely love Marmite so all the stories on here about Vegemite were worrying me !

Nick
well my children hate marmite, but crazy about vegemite, just as well thats all they are going to get when we get down under.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:19 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Did you brainwash them first?

I love Marmite but am not really keen on Vegemite - I would only have it as a last resort. But never fear, you can get Marmite here. In some places, sometimes anyway. My Mrs works for IGA and has got it added to their regular order so I'll never run short
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:24 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there !

Nick
The taste, texture and appearance are definitely different. But kids usually adapt easily to change. Marmite is made in OZ and NZ by Sanitarium Foods. They also make Wheatbix basically the same thing as weetabix.

Personally I'm a Vegemite fan and prefer Uncle Toby's Organic Wheat Biscuits
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there !

Nick
I actually prefer Vegemite, I find it doesn't taste as strong as Marmite & I can really spread it thick on my toast.

Aussoe kids live on the stuff.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I actually prefer Vegemite, I find it doesn't taste as strong as Marmite & I can really spread it thick on my toast.

Aussoe kids live on the stuff.
We are a dual family and always have both in the cupboard, I love marmite and husband loves vegemite (he lived in Aus when he was little and got the taste for it there). I like the strong taste of marmite whereas to me vegemite doesn't really taste of anything!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:39 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

The marmite made in Oz tastes completely different to that made in the UK. I've had this arguement with the OH several times and he hates the Ozzie one so we have a couple of shops that import Marmite and we get a big jar every 3 months. I'd also look at the UK vegemite and see where that is made - Oz or UK just in case.

How can you say weetbix tastes the same as weetabix? It's like saying the cornflakes and bran flakes over here don't taste like cardboard!

Originally Posted by kiwichild
The taste, texture and appearance are definitely different. But kids usually adapt easily to change. Marmite is made in OZ and NZ by Sanitarium Foods. They also make Wheatbix basically the same thing as weetabix.

Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sass73
I'd also look at the UK vegemite and see where that is made - Oz or UK just in case.
I will check! Have you had blind tastings to determine whether it really tastes different......or is it just us that does that???
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:03 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't thought of that but I strongly doubt the hubbie would go for that as I might prove him wrong and of course - men are always right (at least in their heads!). I might get a jar and hide it somewhere and the next time I do him some toast (once hell has frozen over) I might try it.

Sass

Originally Posted by Flutterby
I will check! Have you had blind tastings to determine whether it really tastes different......or is it just us that does that???
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

They sell the great big jars of Marmite in this shop in Sydney ('Gifts from Home' or similar) and I'll be in town often enough to stock up as and end when required by the missus and my son.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 2:09 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there !

Nick
Hi Nick,

We love Marmite and we still buy it here at Dewsons. It's called "Our Mate" here and it doesn't taste any different from UK Marmite. I believe it is imported.

Sue
Old Mar 28th 2006, 2:32 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

I think there is a bit of confusion in that in Australia you can get :

vegemite (obviously!)

Marmite, which is actually the Sanitarium version, made in NZ and is quite sweet compared to UK Marmite.

and the UK Marmite which is imported.

I personally like the NZ marmite the best. You used to also get stuff called Pro-mite when I was a kid but I have no idea what that was a version of!

Michelle

PS - the vegemite I have here at home was made in Australia and bought in Sainsburys in Bristol.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:04 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sass73
The marmite made in Oz tastes completely different to that made in the UK. I've had this arguement with the OH several times and he hates the Ozzie one so we have a couple of shops that import Marmite and we get a big jar every 3 months. I'd also look at the UK vegemite and see where that is made - Oz or UK just in case.

How can you say weetbix tastes the same as weetabix? It's like saying the cornflakes and bran flakes over here don't taste like cardboard!
Are you talking about Marmite (which isn't UK Marmite) or Our Mate (which is UK Marmite)? Our Mate tastes exactly the same (cue Peter Kay ).
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:35 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Those emigrating with kids and VEGEMITE...

Originally Posted by kiwichild

Our 2 are being brought up on Sanitarium Marmite in preparation!!! (how's that for commitment!!!)

See attached photo of them enjoying their breakfast sanitarium marmite

Cheers

Buzzy
Attached Thumbnails Those emigrating with kids and VEGEMITE...-01-girls-marmite-toast.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.