Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those in Australia - do you bother still voting in the UK?

For those in Australia - do you bother still voting in the UK?

Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default For those in Australia - do you bother still voting in the UK?

Just wondering cos my mum and dad have just seen an advert saying they can still vote in UK elections for up to 15 years after having left the country. My guess would be most people couldn't be ar#*d with postal votes or appointing a proxy but it's important to my folks. I've had to download a form from the web, they've got to complete it and send it to me, meanwhile I've got to get a proxy to fill in another part of the form and get it to London before 10th March. Bit of a tight deadline. Proxy can't be a relative. Are most people just glad to be done with UK politics?
Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:33 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: For those in Australia - do you bother still voting in the UK?

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Just wondering cos my mum and dad have just seen an advert saying they can still vote in UK elections for up to 15 years after having left the country. My guess would be most people couldn't be ar#*d with postal votes or appointing a proxy but it's important to my folks. I've had to download a form from the web, they've got to complete it and send it to me, meanwhile I've got to get a proxy to fill in another part of the form and get it to London before 10th March. Bit of a tight deadline. Proxy can't be a relative. Are most people just glad to be done with UK politics?
It's a personal choice and I admire your parents for taking the trouble once they've left UK. However, I personally felt once I'd left UK that I had no designs to vote for how it should be run. I felt I'd lost the right, after all, I'd left the country and everything it represents.

I'm now more interested in how my new country is run and to be honest, feel more obliged to vote here in Aus as it's this country's politics that will directly affect me / my family. I'm still interested in what happens to the UK and of course want UK to do well, however my input is in my new home, not the old one

No right or wrong answer. It's about personal choice

Old Feb 27th 2005, 4:46 pm
oneday someday

jas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Interesting fact though, I wasnt aware this was the case! Is this still true if you take up citizenship? I guess Aus having mutual agreement with UK that you can have joint citizenship means that it would be so?

Also agree with Phoenix - if you are leaving it behind then should you (univeral you, not you personally ) be allowed to have a say in how it is governed?
Old Feb 27th 2005, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Yeah, my parents do have Australian citizenship but have a hatred of a certain prime minister here!
Old Feb 27th 2005, 5:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jas_uk
Interesting fact though, I wasnt aware this was the case! Is this still true if you take up citizenship? I guess Aus having mutual agreement with UK that you can have joint citizenship means that it would be so?
- Taking up Australian citizenship has no impact on voting rights in the UK
- There is no 'mutual agreement' between the UK and Australia on dual citizenship, it's allowed because there is no law in either country to forbid it
- There is no such thing as 'joint citizenship', if you have two or more citizenships they are held on an individual basis and each country normally treats you as if you were solely a citizen of that country.

Jeremy
Old Feb 27th 2005, 6:14 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Im a german but I will ALWAYS vote when there are elections in germany....everybody should vote.....
Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I will vote as I have family over in the UK. My current issue is MRSA. I will be writing to the tory MP where I was last living press for a policy on the issue. Gran may not have had much more in her but MRSA did take her life. I question whether it had to happen the way it did. MRSA can take the lives of stronger younger people. If my small piece of pressure has any impact it will be worth it. Without a vote that pressure would be smaller.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

One vote doesn't make any difference. That smug cheesy grinning liar will get in again.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by NedKelly
One vote doesn't make any difference. That smug cheesy grinning liar will get in again.
You could get a smug bald liar instead! "Something of the night" were Anne Widdecombes words about Michael Howard.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 8:35 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

thats absolute crap
Old Feb 27th 2005, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
thats absolute crap

What?

"One vote doesn't make any difference."

or

"That smug cheesy grinning liar will get in again."

or both?
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:01 pm
Melbourne Rock City

"One vote doesn't make any difference."
this one
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:55 pm
oneday someday

jas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
- Taking up Australian citizenship has no impact on voting rights in the UK
- There is no 'mutual agreement' between the UK and Australia on dual citizenship, it's allowed because there is no law in either country to forbid it
- There is no such thing as 'joint citizenship', if you have two or more citizenships they are held on an individual basis and each country normally treats you as if you were solely a citizen of that country.

Jeremy
Good point, badly phrased on my part,... i knew what i meant... ..i think..! but thanks anyway!
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Is there supposed to be some referendum in the UK re our position on Europe, wrapped up with the currency issues. I'm certainly keen to vote on that one...in fact more than keen.

BP - what do you need to know about MRSA? In the UK hospitals have wards dedicated to the isolation of MRSA patients. Here they don't. I remember when my first child was born one of the wife's colleagues came down to visit and wasn't allowed in the maternity area as she was the sister in charge of the MRSA ward (where my wife worked).
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by RichS
Is there supposed to be some referendum in the UK re our position on Europe, wrapped up with the currency issues. I'm certainly keen to vote on that one...in fact more than keen.

BP - what do you need to know about MRSA? In the UK hospitals have wards dedicated to the isolation of MRSA patients. Here they don't. I remember when my first child was born one of the wife's colleagues came down to visit and wasn't allowed in the maternity area as she was the sister in charge of the MRSA ward (where my wife worked).
I know very little but plan on finding out a lot. I know that it took out gran in a week. She was in a nursing home. They suspect a visiting nurse may have passed it on. I am not bitter about it however I do not want to be ignorant about something that maybe preventable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.