British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   For those about to leave Pt 2 (Top tips) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/those-about-leave-pt-2-top-tips-416975/)

kevnew1 May 18th 2007 1:07 pm

Re: For those about to leave Pt 2 (Top tips)

Credit Card stuff,
forgot to point out in my earlier post in this thread that we applied for the credit cards as part mortgage application process. My wife also reminded me we arranged Debit Cards whilst in the bank activating the account. Lots of important jobs can be achieved during a recce.

Kev

mad.chef May 18th 2007 2:05 pm

hello
great post and some good reading.just makes me want to go NOW
all the best
Dave

mattyuk May 18th 2007 3:28 pm

Hey great post really helpful and informative, long but no where near boring, thanks!!
Matt

WILKINSONS May 18th 2007 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mattyuk (Post 4798460)
Hey great post really helpful and informative, long but no where near boring, thanks!!
Matt

What a fab thread!!!
Very informative!! Like many of us , you have done your homework and it seems to have paid off. No matter how much we research we can't always get it right. There are so many things to think about and "to do" both before the departure and upon arrival, it's very scarey!
We are hoping to be in Brissy by mid June '07 and your thread is very useful as both a comparison to what we are doing and also a checklist.

To everyone out there, what really makes me frustrted/angry/mad/etc are the people in the UK that comment on "How they couldn't leave family and freinds" and comment "Oh I couldn't do that etc" just at a time when you are booking flights and telling everyone when you will be leaving...
For god sake we have been talking about it for 2 years, got PR and now all of a sudden we are "the bad guys".

Sorry for that, but get a bit fed up of the old "guilt trip" beind dissed out all the time.

Any way, the thread is MINT so I am sure I will add some other "to do's" to my list..

Good Night
Janex

johnnyyt May 18th 2007 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by kevnew1 (Post 4796523)
Fantastic tips in this top post.
With reference to the bit about Oz credit cards we have a bit of extra info; We were lucky enough to go on our recce to Qld recently and activated our Westpac accounts (everyday and high interest) while in Brisbane. While in the bank we asked for both ATM and credit cards to be created and for them and the PIN numbers to be sent to our UK address. The bank had a minor admin faff but we got the cards ok. Additionally we also managed to start the Mortgage application process off and now have a "pre-approval" figure that we can use as a base for house hunting. If you would like the Migrant Mortgages manager contact details please pm me.
Hope this might be helpful

Kev.

Are you planning to use you Aussie credit cards in the UK to build up a 'credit' score?
Johnnyyt

kevnew1 May 19th 2007 3:27 pm

Johnnyyt,
We organised an "everyday" and "savings account" with the Westpac well in advance of our recce. We then transferred money from the UK into both accounts for a number of reasons. The first was to develop a credit score in Oz as we intend to rent on our arrival and hope this credit score will help our application. We also got a much better exchange rate through HIFX than using the tourist rate, when we transferred our investment, so we used the Westpac account to fund our expenses while in Oz. It was always our intention to get Oz credit cards and when applying for our mortgage there was a part in the application form that offered a credit card. In fact the application process allowed to choose Master card or Visa and a whole suite of products dependant on personal circumstances/needs. If I can be of more help please ask.
Kev

johnnyyt May 20th 2007 9:19 pm

Kev,
thanks for the help, hope all is going well for you. :thumbup:
Johnnyyt

scrubbedexpat055 May 21st 2007 11:09 am

Fantastic tips and information. Thank you for putting the time in to write it and help the rest of us.

Pete

Gems May 21st 2007 1:17 pm

Very good post!

I agree with this point:
All Aussies, so don’t huddle under the expat thing too much…..go for it.

We are not in UK or Aus yet. But we decided to mix with the locals from the off. They have been very friendly and have more helpful tips than you could ever use.

So agree with 'dont huddle under the expat thing too much'
Yes, its great mixing with other expats but you need to get to know the locals too.

GEMS

sapphire3 May 22nd 2007 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by maund family (Post 4638452)
Great post Mike,

We will not be coming over for 15-18 months but have started the process. I note from your post that you took your dog; any advice? who did you ship with? Was your pooch used to kennells etc? We move around Europe quite a bit so he is all jabbed and passported up.

Thanks John M

I too would be interested to know who transported your dog over, as he obviously is OK.

skye May 22nd 2007 4:24 pm

We are using Golden Arrow in Shropshire, they have a very good reputation - search though the threads!

Stephen Jun 13th 2007 1:31 pm

For those about to leave Pt 2

is there a

For those about to leave Pt 1 ???

anyone got a link?

Sue Jun 13th 2007 2:23 pm

These top tips are great, if any of you get a minute why not add your top tips to the wiki. It's really easy to use, just find the page you want to add to and then click the "edit" tab.

Sue Jun 13th 2007 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 4908593)
For those about to leave Pt 2

is there a

For those about to leave Pt 1 ???

anyone got a link?

I don't know but there is a list of other 'top tip' threads here

daunted Sep 6th 2007 7:26 pm

Excellent post :thumbsup: thank you :wub: