British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Thornlands, QLD anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/thornlands-qld-anyone-576933/)

mark 'n' joe Oct 27th 2009 4:58 am

Re: Thornlands, QLD anyone?

Originally Posted by KateandPhil (Post 8046370)
Hi mark and joe
Just looking through old threads and wondered if you moved to the bayside and how have you settled in? We are coming over on a reccie trip in february hopefully moving over in july for good. We really like the look of the bayside and surrounding suburbs. Did you find a good school? We have 2 children 7 and 5 so need to look at schools. Any info about the area and how you have settled would be grately appreciated.
Thanks Kate

Hiya kate and Phil

Yes we moved over at the end of April. Renting in Cleveland at the moment by the marina. Its a lovely area. Our son is 5 and will be starting prep at Thornlands State school in January. PM me if I can help in any way :) Good luck with the trip x

spadgersdad Oct 27th 2009 7:33 am

Hiya Kate and Phil,
If you check on the website www.more2redlands.com.au this will give you some idea of the facilities and whats happening here in the Redlands, also another website which offers education, employment and other statistics is www.ourbrisbane.com.au.
If you require any other information please dont hesitate to contact us, hope your reccie goes well:thumbsup:

crystaldi Nov 2nd 2009 8:47 am

My partner used to live on the northside of Brissy in Redcliffe. He liked it but he much prefers the south side and has lived in the bay for 13 years. The north side is cheaper but when I looked last there isnt that much difference and the bayside is much newer and has really taken off. The northside is a lot older and a lot of areas are more run down. - Deception bay is known as Depression bay! There is so much on the south side - I would suggest renting for 6 mths when you come out before deciding on any place as you can get a feel for the area and it is so expensive to move over here.

KateandPhil Nov 2nd 2009 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by crystaldi (Post 8063885)
My partner used to live on the northside of Brissy in Redcliffe. He liked it but he much prefers the south side and has lived in the bay for 13 years. The north side is cheaper but when I looked last there isnt that much difference and the bayside is much newer and has really taken off. The northside is a lot older and a lot of areas are more run down. - Deception bay is known as Depression bay! There is so much on the south side - I would suggest renting for 6 mths when you come out before deciding on any place as you can get a feel for the area and it is so expensive to move over here.

Thanks for your reply. I think we will stick to the southside. Definately renting first can you reccommend any areas?

crystaldi Nov 2nd 2009 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by KateandPhil (Post 8065309)
Thanks for your reply. I think we will stick to the southside. Definately renting first can you reccommend any areas?

It depends on where you will be working and what you enjoy doing and if you will have a car straight away.

Min rents in the area are $300pw for a unit which is 2 bed 1 bath although you can get 3 bed for that with no a.con unless you are lucky.

You can rent somewhere really nice 4 bed 2 bath for $460pw in redland bay and they will be almost new houses. Cleveland units go for about $350 - Cleveland is where the ferry to stradbroke island is and has a good selection of shops and resturants.

Victoria point and thornlands are inbetween redland bay and cleveland and it takes 20-25mins by car from redland bay to cleveland.

Wellington point is nice but expenive to rent but thats because there is a train station there to the city.

check out www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au on their rental pages.

if you input the postcodes below and click on search surrounding areas.
4160 wellington point
4163 cleveland
4165 victoria point/redland bay

I have a couple more bits of info but will have to wait for paper to arrive later today and will add that too.

ABCDiamond Nov 2nd 2009 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by crystaldi (Post 8065542)
Victoria point and thornlands are inbetween redland bay and cleveland and it takes 20-25mins by car from redland bay to cleveland.

It must have been you that I was driving behind yesterday then !!!! :rofl:
Sorry, but I was behind someone doing about 30k yesterday, for quite a distance :lol:

I suppose from the furthest point of Redland Bay, it may take that long, but it is only 12km between the centre of both. If it is during the school run times then i suppose that would also be about right. :thumbup:

Here is a snap of some of the eating areas in Victoria Point, with the cinema behind it:

Rudi Nov 3rd 2009 5:14 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8065796)
It must have been you that I was driving behind yesterday then !!!! :rofl:
Sorry, but I was behind someone doing about 30k yesterday, for quite a distance :lol:

I suppose from the furthest point of Redland Bay, it may take that long, but it is only 12km between the centre of both. If it is during the school run times then i suppose that would also be about right. :thumbup:

Here is a snap of some of the eating areas in Victoria Point, with the cinema behind it:

LOL yes you would have to hit a pretty bad time of day and be travelling from the most southerly point in Redland Bay to the most northerly point in Cleveland to hit the 25 minute mark I think!

My average travel time between the two is around 15 minutes

Love

Rudi
x