British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Thornlands, QLD anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/thornlands-qld-anyone-576933/)

KateandPhil Mar 9th 2009 12:19 pm

Re: Thornlands, QLD anyone?

Originally Posted by The payne family (Post 7359463)
Hi yes, I live just down the road, in Victoria Point, there is not a lot in Thornlands itself apart from housing, small corner shops and a garage, however its renowned for its housing and located in between Cleveland, then Raby Bay and the other side Victoria Point. Coming from Staines just outside of Heathrow just Feb last year, saying its a bit remote sounds stupid, but its just lots of housing and a new development in progress too.

However not a bad area, I know a lot of people who love it there, but Victoria Point the best, located just on the bay, I live 0.3 miles from the water and kids facilities, so have a look, the best move we and our 3 kids have made.

Very antiquated getting retrained as an sparky but all the same the best move we have made from the UK and definately wouldnt return.

Just bear in mind too, if you like us are on a perm residency visa, ours an independent skilled, you can from the day you arrive claim through Centrelink, family assistance, rent assistance and childcare fees, we didnt know and only found out in the July after arriving in Feb 08, then too late to claim any back, so bear that in mind to do along with your driving licence, make it a job high on your list as we used a hell of a lot of money whilst looking and finding a job to pay the bills. It takes a lot longer here than we ever thought, getting a job, manyana manyan, if thats how you spell it. We came over for a calmer and more relaxed way of life and thats the Australians and get used to it or you in for a shock!! Any other questions pls ask, good luck and take the plunge, life is what you make it, and ours is great.!!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for that info about what we can claim when we gat there sound like we can save alot of money. I have had a look at property in Thornlands and surround suburbs to to get an idea of rental prices really so more info about the different suburbs would be great. I will have a look into Victoria Point. How have you found the schools there? Have they settled in ok?
Can't wait now to take the plunge we too want a more chilled life. Hope to speak again soon Kate

The payne family Mar 11th 2009 11:48 am

Hi

The schools here are all pretty good, more choice by far, sometimes too many!!

Just bear in mind here, unless you enrol your children in a church school, the kids do not have any religious education unless volunteers attend and offer this as an external service to children.

Church schools in the area are Faith Lutheran College, Victoria Point, ST Ritas Catholic school, Victoria Point, where my children attend. These are all deemed as private and I pay a very small amount in comparison to Faith Lutheran, at a cost of $700 per term. My friend pays $450 per fortnight for her three children a mix of junior and primary aged children, a lot more money per year. Secondary too is down the road in Faith Lutheran college school, and this takes children straight from primary through to year 12 and they transfer campuses in year 7 where as St Ritas go up to a feeder school called Carmel College, Thornlands in year 8.

Victoria Point State Primary school and high school would be ones Iwould recommend staying clear of, but everyone's views are different, but they are not looked upon as one of the better schools, but you will need to make that decision on your own assumption.

C & K Kindergarten in Faith Lutheran, Victoria Point and St James, Cleveland would be where I would recommend you putting the kids if they are turning 4-5 as its the only preschool that isnt day care! There is no inbetween, my daughter started in the new term in Jan and its fab, but not cheap at a cost of $830 per term, but worth it bearing in mind what else there is here.

Cleveland, literally just up the road from Thornlands, have just opened a catholic school, called Star of the Sea, which is supposed to be good too, but it was opened in Jan this year.

I am sorry I am not aware of the schools directly located in Thornlands, I will ask around.
IF you moved over to the bush and remote area or Mount Cotton, Mount Cotton primary state school is well known to be a good school.

My kids are now 10, 7 and 4.5 and have all settled better than ever expected, strangely my 7 year old said today "why did we have to move from England, why did you make us, why dont you miss you friends" to his sister, "yes of course and nan and Grandad, but I love Australia".

He, the now 7, just just over 6 when we emigrated has found it harder than all of them. I have to say we have all adjusted to this change. But I do feel you have to get yourself out there, put yourself about and join the church, nominate yourself for something etc etc, otherwise life here is very hard.

We have been here just a year on 10 February 2009 and wouldnt apart from the normal emigrating family guilt syndrome, change a thing. Just being able to go to the beach and bbq at the park is a fab thing, cycle, press the button on the free bbq and off you go, everywhere is clean, grass in peoples gardens cut, always and not much litter anywhere. Any questions please ask.

What are you plans then, when, what visa and what jobs are you looking for, let me know when your over?

Anything else just say, Cathy :shades_smile:

Oh, by the way Thornlands isnt a bad place at all, but its just an inbetween place full of houses between Victoria Point, which has its own shopping centre, beach, parks etc, and Cleveland, which has shops restaurants etc and Raby Bay, probably a good place to start renting as they have lots available, on realestate.com or domain.com.au. But you will have to drive to everything, that would include Redland Bay which is south of Thornlands and Victoria Point, a huge housing area, lots of rentals for you to choose to start with, but again, you have to drive everywhere.

We pay currently $510 per week rental for a brand new build four bed, 3 bathroom, rumpus room, formal lounge, laundry, large garden, 0.3 miles to the water. Thats reasonable,but you can get slightly cheaper if your lucky with a pool.

hantsfamily1 Mar 11th 2009 12:06 pm

We spent the first 2 months living in Thornlands when we arrived and liked it however after a couple of months we decided that it was a little bit too quiet for us. Its a 45 minutes drive to the Brisbane cbd depending on traffic and we ended up on the Gold Coast which is an hour to the cbd but closer to theme parks, beaches, restaurants etc for the family. Still very nice though and right in the middle of Cleveland, Victoria Point etc. Good luck wherever you end up.

KateandPhil Mar 12th 2009 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by The payne family (Post 7367194)
Hi

The schools here are all pretty good, more choice by far, sometimes too many!!

Just bear in mind here, unless you enrol your children in a church school, the kids do not have any religious education unless volunteers attend and offer this as an external service to children.

Church schools in the area are Faith Lutheran College, Victoria Point, ST Ritas Catholic school, Victoria Point, where my children attend. These are all deemed as private and I pay a very small amount in comparison to Faith Lutheran, at a cost of $700 per term. My friend pays $450 per fortnight for her three children a mix of junior and primary aged children, a lot more money per year. Secondary too is down the road in Faith Lutheran college school, and this takes children straight from primary through to year 12 and they transfer campuses in year 7 where as St Ritas go up to a feeder school called Carmel College, Thornlands in year 8.

Victoria Point State Primary school and high school would be ones Iwould recommend staying clear of, but everyone's views are different, but they are not looked upon as one of the better schools, but you will need to make that decision on your own assumption.

C & K Kindergarten in Faith Lutheran, Victoria Point and St James, Cleveland would be where I would recommend you putting the kids if they are turning 4-5 as its the only preschool that isnt day care! There is no inbetween, my daughter started in the new term in Jan and its fab, but not cheap at a cost of $830 per term, but worth it bearing in mind what else there is here.

Cleveland, literally just up the road from Thornlands, have just opened a catholic school, called Star of the Sea, which is supposed to be good too, but it was opened in Jan this year.

I am sorry I am not aware of the schools directly located in Thornlands, I will ask around.
IF you moved over to the bush and remote area or Mount Cotton, Mount Cotton primary state school is well known to be a good school.

My kids are now 10, 7 and 4.5 and have all settled better than ever expected, strangely my 7 year old said today "why did we have to move from England, why did you make us, why dont you miss you friends" to his sister, "yes of course and nan and Grandad, but I love Australia".

He, the now 7, just just over 6 when we emigrated has found it harder than all of them. I have to say we have all adjusted to this change. But I do feel you have to get yourself out there, put yourself about and join the church, nominate yourself for something etc etc, otherwise life here is very hard.

We have been here just a year on 10 February 2009 and wouldnt apart from the normal emigrating family guilt syndrome, change a thing. Just being able to go to the beach and bbq at the park is a fab thing, cycle, press the button on the free bbq and off you go, everywhere is clean, grass in peoples gardens cut, always and not much litter anywhere. Any questions please ask.

What are you plans then, when, what visa and what jobs are you looking for, let me know when your over?

Anything else just say, Cathy :shades_smile:

Oh, by the way Thornlands isnt a bad place at all, but its just an inbetween place full of houses between Victoria Point, which has its own shopping centre, beach, parks etc, and Cleveland, which has shops restaurants etc and Raby Bay, probably a good place to start renting as they have lots available, on realestate.com or domain.com.au. But you will have to drive to everything, that would include Redland Bay which is south of Thornlands and Victoria Point, a huge housing area, lots of rentals for you to choose to start with, but again, you have to drive everywhere.

We pay currently $510 per week rental for a brand new build four bed, 3 bathroom, rumpus room, formal lounge, laundry, large garden, 0.3 miles to the water. Thats reasonable,but you can get slightly cheaper if your lucky with a pool.

So are your children at St Ritas? I have two children a boy 6 and a girl 4 but but turn 7 and 5 in september. Would they both be able to attend St Ritas?
We are hoping to come out in october and would like to enrol the children into school for the start of term in jan 2010.
My husband is a self employed Gasfitter/plumber so coming out on his skills. I am a general office worker but willing to do anything if it brings the money in!
We are thinking of renting a holiday home at first then getting somewhere long term.
Are you working at the moment? How difficult is it to get work there? Over here at the moment its awful people are being made redundant left right and centre! which is one reason we want to get out of the UK.
Hope you don't mind all the questions but the info we are getting from people actually living there compared to the tourist websites is priceless.
Glad things are working out well for you guys, hope to speak again soon Kate

Kath & Graham Mar 12th 2009 4:15 pm

Google www.googlemaps.com then you an have a look at thornlands and the streets etc. I was looking at my friends house, must say Thornlands looks like English countryside, very lush and green.

KateandPhil Mar 13th 2009 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham (Post 7372493)
Google www.googlemaps.com then you an have a look at thornlands and the streets etc. I was looking at my friends house, must say Thornlands looks like English countryside, very lush and green.

Thanks for that, your right it looks very green.

The payne family Mar 13th 2009 10:43 am

http://www.stritasvp.qld.edu.au

Here is their website. I have currently just started working in St Rita's school just on demand, casual relief as a Teacher Aide. School hours a few days a week if and when needed.

The school has a nice ethos, and it would be a very good idea to download the forms and send over the nescersary scanned documents for your application. The school is run by Steve Dunn a great guy and Assistant Principal Marie Sheppard, who will shortly be taking a long break to the UK and Ireland, they take a mix of catholic and non catholic children, and my daughter will be starting Prep, or Reception, as we Brits call it, in 2010. She will be 5 on 21 st September, and would start school around the 28th Jan. My Son will be 8 in August and he will in January start in year 4, so I would pressume your son would be in year 3. Not quite sure of the cut off dates, but if you emailed Kelly Husted at St Ritas, she would tell you. I do know that the prep places are filling up fast as we were advised in a recent newsletter and I have a formal interview at the end of March, so best to apply even if you change heart and go elsewhere. Better safe than sorry. We emigrated and before we left my middle son was on a waiting list and my older daughter had a place. Luckily whilst we were still in the 'holiday mood' he got a place.

I will ask my husband who is a sparky if he knows of any issues regarding plumbers etc, not sure what but I will see if he knows of any ex brits over here, it might save you hassle as we only found out the ifs and buts once arrived.

Have a look at career one, on job availability. www.CareerOne.com.au

With regards to jobs, it seems everyone here has a qualification for everything and sometimes experience is less desirable. If you worked in Admin, you need an admin qualification, hospitality qualification for hospitality work, etc etc. There seems to be some work for office workers if your pc skills are up to boot, will as I said speak to Glenn to see whats around for Plumber, gas fitters. Do you know if he has to be requalified or retrained, or not, Glenn is still training to get his full licence as a sparky, we did know that but were not sure how and what to do before emigrating, now we do, its a shame the government, visa agents dont give you more support. We know a roofer who came over on his skill and now cleans bbq's for the council!! Say no more!

Anyway give the school a call, Kelly Husted is lovely, or email her.

Here is a funny thing, after just logging back onto Expats this week, after moving, we had a new neighbour directly opposite us, they have emigrated from Merseyside and arrived her in a 6 month rent on Sat. So as we sympathised with their dilema, floors for tables, no toys for the kids, furniture etc, we have loaned lots of bits until their shipping comes in 8 weeks. There are lots of brits here but everyone, unlike in the UK is willing to help you, the other Australian neighbours were carrying tv's and table, chairs etc into the house, would you get that freely offered in the UK?

Sorry for the long text, anything else please ask speak soon, let us know how you get on, any news regarding your husbands trade, I will let you know!

Cathy:thumbsup:

KateandPhil Mar 13th 2009 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by The payne family (Post 7375151)
http://www.stritasvp.qld.edu.au

Here is their website. I have currently just started working in St Rita's school just on demand, casual relief as a Teacher Aide. School hours a few days a week if and when needed.

The school has a nice ethos, and it would be a very good idea to download the forms and send over the nescersary scanned documents for your application. The school is run by Steve Dunn a great guy and Assistant Principal Marie Sheppard, who will shortly be taking a long break to the UK and Ireland, they take a mix of catholic and non catholic children, and my daughter will be starting Prep, or Reception, as we Brits call it, in 2010. She will be 5 on 21 st September, and would start school around the 28th Jan. My Son will be 8 in August and he will in January start in year 4, so I would pressume your son would be in year 3. Not quite sure of the cut off dates, but if you emailed Kelly Husted at St Ritas, she would tell you. I do know that the prep places are filling up fast as we were advised in a recent newsletter and I have a formal interview at the end of March, so best to apply even if you change heart and go elsewhere. Better safe than sorry. We emigrated and before we left my middle son was on a waiting list and my older daughter had a place. Luckily whilst we were still in the 'holiday mood' he got a place.

I will ask my husband who is a sparky if he knows of any issues regarding plumbers etc, not sure what but I will see if he knows of any ex brits over here, it might save you hassle as we only found out the ifs and buts once arrived.

Have a look at career one, on job availability. www.CareerOne.com.au

With regards to jobs, it seems everyone here has a qualification for everything and sometimes experience is less desirable. If you worked in Admin, you need an admin qualification, hospitality qualification for hospitality work, etc etc. There seems to be some work for office workers if your pc skills are up to boot, will as I said speak to Glenn to see whats around for Plumber, gas fitters. Do you know if he has to be requalified or retrained, or not, Glenn is still training to get his full licence as a sparky, we did know that but were not sure how and what to do before emigrating, now we do, its a shame the government, visa agents dont give you more support. We know a roofer who came over on his skill and now cleans bbq's for the council!! Say no more!

Anyway give the school a call, Kelly Husted is lovely, or email her.

Here is a funny thing, after just logging back onto Expats this week, after moving, we had a new neighbour directly opposite us, they have emigrated from Merseyside and arrived her in a 6 month rent on Sat. So as we sympathised with their dilema, floors for tables, no toys for the kids, furniture etc, we have loaned lots of bits until their shipping comes in 8 weeks. There are lots of brits here but everyone, unlike in the UK is willing to help you, the other Australian neighbours were carrying tv's and table, chairs etc into the house, would you get that freely offered in the UK?

Sorry for the long text, anything else please ask speak soon, let us know how you get on, any news regarding your husbands trade, I will let you know!

Cathy:thumbsup:

Thanks Cathy it sound like our daughters could be in the same class my daughter turns 5 on september 14th. I will work out the time difference and give the school a call on monday. We are off to Centre Parcs in sherwood forest this weekend but no comparison to Oz!
As for your new neighbours your right no one here would be willing to loan out their furniture and toys etc its nice to know there are still people out there that are willing to help.
My husband appreciates you asking about work for him. He is going on a refresher course on monday for a week to bring his corgi upto date which we are led to believe will make it easier for him to get a licence over there? He is also doing an lpg course maybe it will help but its worth getting anyway just in case.
Have a good weekend speak soon.

ABCDiamond Mar 13th 2009 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by KateandPhil (Post 7375388)
He is also doing an lpg course maybe it will help but its worth getting anyway just in case.

We do not have piped gas in this area, so those people that do use Gas have the LPG tanks at the side of the house.

At a rough guess, I think that course may be handy :thumbup:

The payne family Mar 15th 2009 11:27 am

Yes, only LPG cylinders are used here and in the new builds they only use plastic piping, crimped fittings, Glenn reckons, to UK standards, here are about 20 years behind, far less stringent that in the UK. Our financial year ends in June and business are looking causesly here but still employing, we are not as badly hit as in the UK with the credit crunch. Still Glenn will ask around anyway for any further info. The local Tafe at Eagle Farm might be worth speaking to, have a look on the internet, they may tell you about any courses he may have to undertake over here before becoming licensed.

Good Luck

Cathy

Oh by the way the schools on average have 3 prep classes per year and this follows through to all other years, a large school but a lovely ethos.

KateandPhil Oct 26th 2009 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe (Post 7217584)
Great info, we are hoping to move to Bayside area in the next few months all being well. Loved all round there while we were on holiday in December. :)

Can you give any info on the schools in the area, Thornlands, Cleveland, and Victoria Point.

Hi mark and joe
Just looking through old threads and wondered if you moved to the bayside and how have you settled in? We are coming over on a reccie trip in february hopefully moving over in july for good. We really like the look of the bayside and surrounding suburbs. Did you find a good school? We have 2 children 7 and 5 so need to look at schools. Any info about the area and how you have settled would be grately appreciated.
Thanks Kate

tiredwithtwins Oct 26th 2009 9:59 pm

can anyone remember the name of the poster who had a house built in thornlands, couple of years ago now ... one of the old 'uns ( :p ) might remember her ... had about 6 or 7 kids, really lovely family. the pics she took of thier house build were very good and showed the area nicely ... lots of info too if my memory serves me right ...

argh its bugging me now what her name was!!! :eek::lol:

tiredwithtwins Oct 26th 2009 10:01 pm

found it!!!

Boomie ... :D

and her thread ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ds+house+build

ABCDiamond Oct 26th 2009 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins (Post 8046934)
.. one of the old 'uns ( :p ) might remember her ...

My memory isn't good enough any more.... :rofl:

tiredwithtwins Oct 26th 2009 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8046941)
My memory isn't good enough any more.... :rofl:

:lol: took me some searching too ... :lol: