Thongs?

Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:04 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Thongs?

Can someone explain to me what Australian'a have against thongs (toe post sandals, not the skimpy undies)? I thought it was to do with toes being on show, but sandals seem to be acceptable.

So can someone tell me what it is about thongs? Not trying to be funny, i am truly interested, and don't want to offend as I have at least 6 pairs making their way to Aus as we speak!

Kareena
Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Thongs?

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Can someone explain to me what Australian'a have against thongs (toe post sandals, not the skimpy undies)? I thought it was to do with toes being on show, but sandals seem to be acceptable.

So can someone tell me what it is about thongs? Not trying to be funny, i am truly interested, and don't want to offend as I have at least 6 pairs making their way to Aus as we speak!

Kareena
They don't. What gave you that idea ?

They are very, very common and popular.

Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Kareena
Im wondering if it is the same person who gave you this info is the same person that told another poster that you cant get white wine here.!!!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:52 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They don't. What gave you that idea ?

They are very, very common and popular.
Someone had told me that they had seen a notice outside a couple of restaurants. Then when i was looking at the uniform list for a school for my son it said sandals or shoes, but no thongs.

Kareena
Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Someone had told me that they had seen a notice outside a couple of restaurants. Then when i was looking at the uniform list for a school for my son it said sandals or shoes, but no thongs.

Kareena
The sign outside restaurants is for dress codes and the one for school is probably health and safety and school practice.Otherwise you can wear them.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 9:57 pm
Living the dream!

Originally Posted by irishbloo
The sign outside restaurants is for dress codes and the one for school is probably health and safety and school practice.Otherwise you can wear them.
But why do they allow sandals but not thongs? That's the bit i don't get.

Kareena
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

i guess because thongs are beachware, and some places are trying to promote a fancy restaurant vibe, therefore thongs don't meet the standard. Thongs are ubiquitous here as casual wear, but most women wear courtshoes or slingback sandals to work. Open-toed shoes are a no-no for job interviews apparently. I think workplaces, clubs and restaurants are just trying to establish a dresscode in certain situations, as opposed to thongs, t-shirts and shorts at everything.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

But why do they allow sandals but not thongs? That's the bit i don't get.

Kareena
It easy for kids to trip whilst running in thongs but not so much in sandals.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:25 pm
ABCDiamond

Kareena
Some restaurants do have dress codes, and thongs are a no no when that applies, same as singlets and such like.

The school part is that sandals give some support to the feet, but thongs don't give any. Our school doesn't even allow sandals.

Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

That's right. It's very popular beach or casual wear, but not what you would wear out to eat in a restaurant. Many years ago, school kids were allowed to have bare feet, but health and safety rules have taken care of that. Sandals usually have a back strap which keeps them on your feet, so they are often acceptable, but thongs never.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kiwinow
That's right. It's very popular beach or casual wear, but not what you would wear out to eat in a restaurant. Many years ago, school kids were allowed to have bare feet, but health and safety rules have taken care of that. Sandals usually have a back strap which keeps them on your feet, so they are often acceptable, but thongs never.
Most thongs are acceptable here in Darwin, however some 'dressier' Clubs and restaurants don't allow rubber thongs

I suppose one must have standards in these places

Definatley not allowed at school though - even open topped shoes are not permitted at my friend's kids school.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Let's get it right...flip flops

I wear thongs round my bits lol...flip flops on my feet hehehehehehe
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Let's get it right...flip flops

I wear thongs round my bits lol...flip flops on my feet hehehehehehe
No, flip-flops are banned everywhere in the NT as they identify the owner as a bloody pommy git
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:12 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by njk435
No, flip-flops are banned everywhere in the NT as they identify the owner as a bloody pommy git
But i am a pommy git i just can't change the way i think, flip flops-feet, thongs-arse wear
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
But i am a pommy git i just can't change the way i think, flip flops-feet, thongs-arse wear
But you have to if you live in another country...

(except for football of course )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.