Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Thomas Kelly petition

The Thomas Kelly petition

Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:30 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Thomas Kelly petition

Those of you who, like me, are appalled by the level of drunken violence in Sydney (as well as many other places) might like to sign the petition started by Thomas Kelly's parents ( he died after being knocked to the ground in an unprovoked attack. Just one of a number of similar assaults).

Over 80k signatures at lunchtime

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...share_petition
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Thomas Kelly petition

I will consider signing it, but there was something off-putting for me and that was the bit about "youth". If the victim is dead then obviously they were not able to defend themselves and I think whether they were 20, 30 or 40 should make no difference. I am not sure where they are coming from with that line.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

strange only 75k now
Old Jan 4th 2014, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I will consider signing it, but there was something off-putting for me and that was the bit about "youth". If the victim is dead then obviously they were not able to defend themselves and I think whether they were 20, 30 or 40 should make no difference. I am not sure where they are coming from with that line.
Signed, but like you, I'm not sure the issue of 'youth' should be part of it.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:18 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are flaws in what is being asked for and not just the youth condition
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:24 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD
strange only 75k now
I don't know what site you are looking at but when I saw it after reading about it in the SMH (about mid-day) there were 78857 signatures, ten minutes later after I'd signed there were 79513 and around 5pm 80487.

Lord knows why I noted the numbers, but I did

I take the comments on the wording, but at least someone is actually doing something and not just bending over for the hotel mafia.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:28 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with the sentiment, it is out of control. I do wonder if a petition is going to do anything though as these online petitions have been shown to be pretty well useless. Its amazing to think someone can be sentenced to a derisory 4 years for killing someone especially when it will be closer to 2 years in reality. Something has to be done thats for sure.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I totally agree with the sentiment, it is out of control. I do wonder if a petition is going to do anything though as these online petitions have been shown to be pretty well useless. Its amazing to think someone can be sentenced to a derisory 4 years for killing someone especially when it will be closer to 2 years in reality. Something has to be done thats for sure.
I think the law already allows for someone convicted of manslaughter to be sentenced to up to 25yrs - although the average sentence seems to be 6 (source - http://www.criminallawyers.com.au/le...-in-australia/ ) - and the minimum can be no jail time.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 1:05 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I think the law already allows for someone convicted of manslaughter to be sentenced to up to 25yrs - although the average sentence seems to be 6 (source - http://www.criminallawyers.com.au/le...-in-australia/ ) - and the minimum can be no jail time.
That is the problem, it is the judges that seem totally out of touch with reality. That needs to change but how do you change the attitude of individuals?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:28 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Those of you who, like me, are appalled by the level of drunken violence in Sydney (as well as many other places) might like to sign the petition started by Thomas Kelly's parents ( he died after being knocked to the ground in an unprovoked attack. Just one of a number of similar assaults).

Over 80k signatures at lunchtime

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...share_petition

I can't help thinking that some proper, distributed, high visibility policing would go a long way to reducing these instances. Having a mob of 20-30 cops all roaming around together is no way to police public order. Break them up into teams of 2-3, distributing them across the area will have a much greater impact.

S
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:54 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

116,239 @ 20.53 7th January.

It only takes 30 seconds...........
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I can't help thinking that some proper, distributed, high visibility policing would go a long way to reducing these instances. Having a mob of 20-30 cops all roaming around together is no way to police public order. Break them up into teams of 2-3, distributing them across the area will have a much greater impact.

S
I agree. If you believed the cops and Today Tonight/Daily Mail, then you would believe their spin/lies that the down-town areas of major Australian/UK cities are in anarchy on Friday and Saturday nights - when if you actually go there it is nothing of the sort. I'm thinking Sydney, Perth, Cardiff, Newcastle here. The cops spin it because they don't want to do their job properly and TT/DM want to appeal to their core audience of the appalled, middle-aged white middle-class
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of these online petitions are a waste of time. So 100 000 or so people electronically sign some petition and suddenly the police are going to start adding patrols? Or drunk dickheads are going to stop what they're doing and think about sentencing laws? Not to ****ing likely, I'm afraid. Therefore I wont bother wasting my bytes filling out online petition I'll use them for useful shit like uploading cat videos to YouTube.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I make no apologies for bumping this one.

The signatories have gone to only 26k short of what is required.

No, petitions as such have no direct effect - but especially in this case they do provide a powerful message to those who *can* have an effect.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I make no apologies for bumping this one.

The signatories have gone to only 26k short of what is required.

No, petitions as such have no direct effect - but especially in this case they do provide a powerful message to those who *can* have an effect.
While not all petitions will be listened to/acted upon, they do allow people an avenue for stating their beliefs. As an ageing hippy who took to the streets in the 70s to protest against conscription and also French nuclear testing in the Pacific, I sort of miss people being motivated enough about an issue to protest publically.

I don't know the answer to the drunken yobs' behavior, but I suspect that averting such behavior needs to begin at a very young age in homes and schools - all that supposedly old fashioned stuff that teaches kids that actions have consequences and letting it all hang out is not acceptable. Of course, not all kids are fortunate enough to have such adults in their lives - but when does 'the state' step in? Isn't when they're 19 and acting the drunken, violent fool too late? Buggered if I know

A personal ps - I don't want to take anything away from the tragedy of people being killed through street violence. Over 90 people have lost their lives in this way in Australia since 2000. But another very sobering fact - 70 women die every year in Australia at the hands of their partner. That's 70 Mums, sisters, daughters. I wish the media and police would speak out more on this issue as well.

Anyway, good luck Wol and whether I agree with this particular petition or not, good on you for acting on your beliefs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.