Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thirteen months on!

Thirteen months on!

Old Aug 21st 2005, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

nanci will become famous soon enoughnanci will become famous soon enough
Default Thirteen months on!

I hope the following will help some, because our first thirteen months in Sydney haven't been the easiest, but we have come through unscathed.

We arrived in July '04, within a month our eldest daughter had returned to her boyfriend in the UK. I thought the end of the world had come, but that certainly isn't true, and she and her boyfriend are arriving for a four month visit in October.

The next obstacle was our fifteen year old son dropped out of school, another blow, but he has gone on to find an apprenticeship and is now sharing a flat with a mate not far from us, and he has held down his apprenticeship, with a few bumps along the way, for nearly a year.

We arrived here with our house unsold, left in the hands of agents and solicitors, September brought us what we thought was good news, the sale on our house started to proceed. Then a week before exchange the buyers lost their buyer and we were back where we started, but in late October when finding a new buyer wasn't going to be so easy.

When we arrived my husband had a three week contract work from his UK company, which extended to five, but once that was over we found that being a "jack of all trades" within the IT industry didn't make it easier to land work. Eventually in November he found a new job and we breathed a sigh of relief.

At the same time we left the shelter of living with my brother and his family to renting our own place. This was a leap of faith, because when we signed the contract Graham had no job, but luckily within days he found work.

During all this I found a part time job at a medical centre and my youngest son, 11 years old settled in very well at school. Both he and I have probably had the smoothest transition to life downunder.

We settled to our new life and started to get out and about, with weekends on the beach or visiting the sights of Sydney. Some highlights were a trip down to Kiama and Australia Day in Sydney, what a buzz that was, watching the ships and finishing the day at Darling Harbour watching the fireworks.

Eventually after a lot of negotiation our house sold on Friday and now we are looking forward to finding our new home here.

To summarize the last year has been a real roller coaster ride, with as many lows as highs, but at the end of it I have realised that family is the most important thing in my life, even if you are half a world apart it isn't the end of the world, you are still family. We have always been there for each other through the highs and lows of the last year. Finally, we all love our new life and wouldn't think of returning to the UK!

Nanci
Old Aug 21st 2005, 12:47 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thirteen months on!

Originally Posted by nanci
I hope the following will help some, because our first thirteen months in Sydney haven't been the easiest, but we have come through unscathed.

We arrived in July '04, within a month our eldest daughter had returned to her boyfriend in the UK. I thought the end of the world had come, but that certainly isn't true, and she and her boyfriend are arriving for a four month visit in October.

The next obstacle was our fifteen year old son dropped out of school, another blow, but he has gone on to find an apprenticeship and is now sharing a flat with a mate not far from us, and he has held down his apprenticeship, with a few bumps along the way, for nearly a year.

We arrived here with our house unsold, left in the hands of agents and solicitors, September brought us what we thought was good news, the sale on our house started to proceed. Then a week before exchange the buyers lost their buyer and we were back where we started, but in late October when finding a new buyer wasn't going to be so easy.

When we arrived my husband had a three week contract work from his UK company, which extended to five, but once that was over we found that being a "jack of all trades" within the IT industry didn't make it easier to land work. Eventually in November he found a new job and we breathed a sigh of relief.

At the same time we left the shelter of living with my brother and his family to renting our own place. This was a leap of faith, because when we signed the contract Graham had no job, but luckily within days he found work.

During all this I found a part time job at a medical centre and my youngest son, 11 years old settled in very well at school. Both he and I have probably had the smoothest transition to life downunder.

We settled to our new life and started to get out and about, with weekends on the beach or visiting the sights of Sydney. Some highlights were a trip down to Kiama and Australia Day in Sydney, what a buzz that was, watching the ships and finishing the day at Darling Harbour watching the fireworks.

Eventually after a lot of negotiation our house sold on Friday and now we are looking forward to finding our new home here.

To summarize the last year has been a real roller coaster ride, with as many lows as highs, but at the end of it I have realised that family is the most important thing in my life, even if you are half a world apart it isn't the end of the world, you are still family. We have always been there for each other through the highs and lows of the last year. Finally, we all love our new life and wouldn't think of returning to the UK!

Nanci

What a really lovely post! Congrats on selling your house and I hope that it brings you the freedom to really start living the Aussie Dream!!

Good luck

Hels
Old Aug 21st 2005, 12:47 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Hi nanci

Great to hear your story. If anyone hit some real lows it was you guys

VERY inspirational ......and just goes to show it can be done

Well done an good luck for your future

Old Aug 21st 2005, 12:56 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the house sale, and on making it through such an eventful year. We're going to be living not far from Kiama - lovely part of the world.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your good wishes everyone, I know there are a lot of people out there with houses on the market desperate to sell, and children dragging their feet about going to Aus, and I thought our experience might show that however tough the going gets you can get through.

At the end of the day I know that we are all happier 13 months on.

Nanci
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Sending you lots of luck for the future.
Karen x
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Heathertoes will become famous soon enoughHeathertoes will become famous soon enough

Wow - what a year - and all credit to you for seeing it through. Hopefully the next 13 months will be a piece of cake and your first year will diminish into a distant memory.

Good Luck with everything
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

A really great post Nanci!

Many congrats on making it through your 1st year, highs and lows included. Just goes to show that with determination and a positive attitude, anything is achievable!

Best of luck and every good wish for your families future. x
Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:06 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

Great post to read, thanks for writing it and keep letting us know how it's going for you. You must've felt devestated when your eldest left but it could've been the same had you been in UK anyway. Children do leave and mine have both already said about coming back to visit UK when they're old enough, but I'm more than happy with that. If we stayed here they'd want to travel the world. It's their independent, adventurous side that will hopefully help them cope with the move to Aus in the first place. Good luck with the rest of your Aussie lives & keep happy.
Cheers Sharon
Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

I know a lot of people are having worries about children coping with their move, but I can say that both my boys are happier here.

My youngest, now 12, has lots of friends and because of the climate is out with them almost everyday, not stuck indoors like he always seemed to be in the UK.

Mike came out with a negative attitude, but loves his new life here now. It was a big worry when he dropped out of school, but he is a lot happier at work and I am the first to admit he has proved me wrong, because after a couple of weeks I thought the novelty would wear off. He does confess that school was a doddle compared to work though!

When my daughter flew back I was devastated, but we text, email and talk on the phone regularly. If anything we have become closer, we've always been only a phone call away if she needed us, and she's always been there for us through the hard times. I can't wait to see her in 8 weeks time and intend to make the most of her visit.

I guess I have a greater appreciation of all my children one year on.

Thanks for all the positive replies everyone,

Nanci
Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:33 am
Phoenixuk2oz

I know a lot of people are having worries about children coping with their move, but I can say that both my boys are happier here.

My youngest, now 12, has lots of friends and because of the climate is out with them almost everyday, not stuck indoors like he always seemed to be in the UK.

Mike came out with a negative attitude, but loves his new life here now. It was a big worry when he dropped out of school, but he is a lot happier at work and I am the first to admit he has proved me wrong, because after a couple of weeks I thought the novelty would wear off. He does confess that school was a doddle compared to work though!

When my daughter flew back I was devastated, but we text, email and talk on the phone regularly. If anything we have become closer, we've always been only a phone call away if she needed us, and she's always been there for us through the hard times. I can't wait to see her in 8 weeks time and intend to make the most of her visit.

I guess I have a greater appreciation of all my children one year on.

Thanks for all the positive replies everyone,

Nanci
That's a really good point nanci

It seems it's not just the kids that experience new things is it

Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:36 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Nanci

NANCI awesome post, loved it and can whole heartedly relate to it, thankyou