Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Third world no its Australia?

Third world no its Australia?

Old May 27th 2003, 1:46 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Third world no its Australia?

I do admire the Abos but this is not the done thing?

A MAN has been stabbed as tribal retribution for the death of an 18-year-old man in a car smash in remote Western Australia.

Three men injured in the crash were also evacuated yesterday from an isolated nursing post at Kintore, over the border in the Northern Territory, to prevent further payback attacks over the teenager's death.

Police were called to Kintore yesterday when about 50 people from Kiwirrkurra, in the east Pilbara region of WA, surrounded the clinic, seeking tribal retribution against the injured men.

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/c...5E2761,00.html

Old May 27th 2003, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad, but not surprising, theres been stabbings in Glasgow after Celtic-Rangers matches for years.
Doesn't make Scotland third world, bigoted and sad maybe, but not third world.
Old May 27th 2003, 1:55 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by GengaKev
Sad, but not surprising, theres been stabbings in Glasgow after Celtic-Rangers matches for years.
Doesn't make Scotland third world, bigoted and sad maybe, but not third world.
You are off the subject , that which you speak of is crime , this is their right in tribal law?
Bugger driving in the far North , these guys sit in the middle of the road to get a lift , knowing my luck I could have half the tribe after me?

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 27th 2003 at 1:57 am.
Old May 27th 2003, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

Doh, yeah I've got it now, it's 0245 over here, old grey matter not up to speed.
Fair point. fly with the crows etc......
Old May 27th 2003, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You are off the subject , that which you speak of is crime , this is their right in tribal law?
Bugger driving in the far North , these guys sit in the middle of the road to get a lift , knowing my luck I could have half the tribe after me?
Another gem PB

"tribal law" well coming back to UK you'd better get up to speed on Islamic law
Old May 27th 2003, 9:31 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

YOU BIN ,GIN BURGLING AGAIN ,PB, SOME O,DEM MITE B YOUR LATIONS ,.............mm
Old May 27th 2003, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

Dat whitey fella,plumpy bastard a ginjockey eh!might have some whitey lations soon and claim dat Buckhimgham Shed Palace from dem royals eh!
Old May 27th 2003, 10:15 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by boots
Dat whitey fella,plumpy bastard a ginjockey eh!might have some whitey lations soon and claim dat Buckhimgham Shed Palace from dem royals eh!
DAT BUCKIN HUGE PLACE,,, HE GIT IN DER HE GO BUNTA .....mm
Old May 27th 2003, 3:54 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry - are you saying that Glasgow ISN'T a tribal (particularly celtic/rangers) culture?

If you are then either you've been away far longer than you say or you need to send some time in the anthropology section in the library.

Try a chapter called 'Casuals, terrace crews and fighting firms: Towards a sociological explanation of football hooligan behaviour. In a book called The Anthropology of Violence"

There's good and bad in every country but don't for one minute think that only people with black faces can have tribal behavior. Even in our nice civilised middle class world - look at the angry crowds that gather outside a particularly nasty child abuse court case - if your initial reaction is to say "But that's different" then you've made my point for me. The nasty little paedo has offended against our values and we want blood QED.

Cheers

Perry
Old May 27th 2003, 4:07 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

There was a major celtic match the other day. After they lost to Porto I had to walk home through a Rangers area. People were shouting in the street in celebration of the loss, and someone warned me to get indoors quick incase someone attacked me thinking I was a celtic supporter. Police were everywhere in anticipation of violence.

I met a celtic supporter who was letting his dog out of his front door. The dog saw me and ran over. The poor man was wearing a celtic top and was terrified of being seen outside with it on. This was a typical post-match evening in Glasgow.

But of course this is nothing to do with tribal support. It's considered crime when two large groups of people idenfity each other by clothing, and hate each other becuase of a diffrent religion.

I'm sorry PB but if that is what you think then you will have a harsh wake-up call when you get back to the UK. Every country has it's faults, every coutry has some sort of tribal warfare, be it based on religion, sport, or race. And every country has the occasional horrific crime.
Old May 27th 2003, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kentcoast
Sorry - are you saying that Glasgow ISN'T a tribal (particularly celtic/rangers) culture?

Try a chapter called 'Casuals, terrace crews and fighting firms: Towards a sociological explanation of football hooligan behaviour. In a book called The Anthropology of Violence"

I think that the Glasgow Celtic/Rangers references are a bit unfortunate and not entirely relevant to the first post. But while we're on the subject here is what I think for what it's worth.

Personally, I don't think that the above quoted book would bring much light to bear on the Celtic/Rangers situation which, as noted in an earlier post, is more to do with the unfortunate history and bigotory that exists. The effects in terms of violence are probably not dissimilar to the culture of football tribalism and hooliganism that exist in England, but there is where the comparison ends. The Scots have more than demonstrated that we can travel in numbers to enjoy the crack and the footie without the need to resort to the alternative passtime of beating up the opposing fans.

I'm not in any way condoning violence and bigotory, simply pointing out the error in your analysis.
Old May 27th 2003, 4:39 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MartyO

I think that the Glasgow Celtic/Rangers references are a bit unfortunate and not entirely relevant to the first post. But while we're on the subject here is what I think for what it's worth.
You've got me a bit out of centext here - I don't usually bite when PeeBee posts one of his cut'n'paste specials, my issue was with his second post that inferred that tribalism is reserved for his much hated abbos and that the post from Gengakev was unrelated

Personally, I don't think that the above quoted book would bring much light to bear on the Celtic/Rangers situation which, as noted in an earlier post, is more to do with the unfortunate history and bigotory that exists. The effects in terms of violence are probably not dissimilar to the culture of football tribalism and hooliganism that exist in England, but there is where the comparison ends. The Scots have more than demonstrated that we can travel in numbers to enjoy the crack and the footie without the need to resort to the alternative passtime of beating up the opposing fans.
You'd need to read the book - the chapter draws heavily on Celtic / Rangers rivalry to illustrate the points. The painful cultural background associated with it is *exactly* the point although as you point out similar tribal behaviour can be seen in many club grudges. Please don't take my comments as being anti-Scot, half my family come from Gourock so that's one greenhouse I'm not about to throw stones in.

I sould also point out, before any other ex-sociology students who read it do that although an excellent book that brings home just how much human behavior is tribal in origin, it is a good 15 years old now.

I'm not in any way condoning violence and bigotory, simply pointing out the error in your analysis.
So I don't accept that there's an error in my comments just in letting my guard slip and allowing PeeBee to annoy me.

Cheers

Perry
Old May 27th 2003, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Perry

I take your point. I still think that the Rangers/Celtic thing is probably more complex than any other local 'tribal' football rivalry in the UK. For that reason it's not the best example to use (in my view) of tribalism in football. It's not so much to do with club grudges. It's actually a much better (and sadder) example of how the religious history and hatred can become entrenched in a society and ultimately result in seemingly unwarrented violence. I have lived in England for about half my life and half in Scotland (within the Central Belt) so my views are, I feel, failry balanced.

I think that it's interesting to note that this bigotory (and resultant violence) doesn't extend itself into the Scottish national team following. This is not the case with the English game where the Engand national team adventures are used by (the minority) thugs as a vehicle to express their violence. Again, I feel that this is far more a case of tribalism.

I hadn't taken your commets as anti-Scot. When you say half your family are from Greenock do you mean your better half? On a lighter note, there is no need for greenhouses in Greenock or much of Scotland as our sunshine deficit precludes against. Greenhouses wouldn't survive long in Greenock at any rate!

Cheers

martin
Old May 27th 2003, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

there is no need for greenhouses in Greenock or much of Scotland as our sunshine deficit precludes against. Greenhouses wouldn't survive long in Greenock at any rate! OR GOUROCK - close enough!!!

Cheers

martin [/QUOTE]
Old May 27th 2003, 5:35 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MartyO
Perry

I take your point. I still think that the Rangers/Celtic thing is probably more complex than any other local 'tribal' football rivalry in the UK. For that reason it's not the best example to use (in my view) of tribalism in football. It's not so much to do with club grudges. It's actually a much better (and sadder) example of how the religious history and hatred can become entrenched in a society and ultimately result in seemingly unwarrented violence. I have lived in England for about half my life and half in Scotland (within the Central Belt) so my views are, I feel, failry balanced.

I think that it's interesting to note that this bigotory (and resultant violence) doesn't extend itself into the Scottish national team following. This is not the case with the English game where the Engand national team adventures are used by (the minority) thugs as a vehicle to express their violence. Again, I feel that this is far more a case of tribalism.

I hadn't taken your commets as anti-Scot. When you say half your family are from Greenock do you mean your better half? On a lighter note, there is no need for greenhouses in Greenock or much of Scotland as our sunshine deficit precludes against. Greenhouses wouldn't survive long in Greenock at any rate!

Cheers

martin
And you have to bring in the Irish angle too, which is usually ignored (or taken for granted? Not sure.) Anyway, nobody usually mentions Ireland in the same breath as Celtic/Rangers rivalry.

Cheers - Don (Lived in Glasgie 2 years.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.