Reload this Page >

Third party injury insurance

Third party injury insurance

Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:56 am
Just Joined

puntoboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Third party injury insurance

Hi folks,

Guess what? Another wannabe resident of Australia is needing info from you guys already over there!

I'm hoping to head to Aus when my current contract with the company I'm working for draws to a close.

I've been doing my research and read that, quote: 'In Australia, third party personal injury insurance is always included in a vechicle's registration cost'.

So does that basically mean no added insurance is needed on any vehicle I choose to drive in Australia? Within reason of course, I'm talking like a Hyundai Excel/Getz, not a 16 wheeler truck...

And, this might sound a little silly, but as my teachers said at school 'No question is a silly question', so... a vehicle's registration cost is just like the UK's tax isn't it? And out of interest, how much does it cost for a vehicle's registration? For a small car... Excel/Getz size...

Thanks so much for your time guys!

Puntoboy.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:59 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Third party injury insurance

Originally Posted by puntoboy View Post
Hi folks,

Guess what? Another wannabe resident of Australia is needing info from you guys already over there!

I'm hoping to head to Aus when my current contract with the company I'm working for draws to a close.

I've been doing my research and read that, quote: 'In Australia, third party personal injury insurance is always included in a vechicle's registration cost'.

So does that basically mean no added insurance is needed on any vehicle I choose to drive in Australia? Within reason of course, I'm talking like a Hyundai Excel/Getz, not a 16 wheeler truck...

And, this might sound a little silly, but as my teachers said at school 'No question is a silly question', so... a vehicle's registration cost is just like the UK's tax isn't it? And out of interest, how much does it cost for a vehicle's registration? For a small car... Excel/Getz size...

Puntoboy.
Pay your REGO and off you GOGO
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:00 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

For NSW

Size of vehicle Tare Weight Private Business

Cars, station wagons and trucks

up to 975kg $213 $313

976kg to 1154 kg $233 $345

1155kg to 1504kg $262 $394

1505kg to 2504kg $373 $568

Trailers (including caravans)

up to 254kg $51 $130

255kg to 764kg $140 $195

765kg to 975kg $213 $313

976kg to 1154kg $233 $345

Motor cycle

$99 $99
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by puntoboy View Post
Hi folks,

Puntoboy.

You are better off taking a third party insurance over and above the one included in the rego if you can not affort a comprehensive one...

Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by olauf View Post
You are better off taking a third party insurance over and above the one included in the rego if you can not affort a comprehensive one...

Comprehensive isnt expensive, unless your 17 years old. Even then by comparison to UK, its very affordable, and well worth every cent IMHO
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

The rego insurance only covers for 3rd party injury only. If you have an accident and it is your fault you still have to settle the third party damage to their vehicle and also the cost of your own repairs, it really is worth taking out comprehensive cover the same as you do in the uk.
S xx
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Streaks View Post
The rego insurance only covers for 3rd party injury only. If you have an accident and it is your fault you still have to settle the third party damage to their vehicle and also the cost of your own repairs, it really is worth taking out comprehensive cover the same as you do in the uk.
S xx
This is what we were told too.
CTP (compulsory third party) basically covers you if you kill or injure someone if you write off their top of the range car then you pay for it out of your own pocket ... ouch!
Definitely get additional insurance even if just additional third party.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:46 am
Banned

deffo agree with that.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stella340 View Post
This is what we were told too.
CTP (compulsory third party) basically covers you if you kill or injure someone if you write off their top of the range car then you pay for it out of your own pocket ... ouch!
Definitely get additional insurance even if just additional third party.

yep, exactly right. We have found this online insurance company, it really knocks off $$$'s. To insure a work truck for my husband for pleasure and work only cost $440 for fully comprehensive (0 no claims aswell). ecarinsurance.co.au (sorry don't know how to post the link)
S xx
ooops, it's ecarinsurance.com.au
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the replies guys! It has really shed some light on the whole thing, I was a little confused at first, but now it's that little bit more clear! Thanks again... If anyone else has anything to add by the way, please do!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Oh, one more thing... I plan to be on the road lots in Australia with no fixed address as such... How would I go about getting insurance in this situation?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah insurance is heaps cheaper over here ...

We pay $400 odd to insure a 1.8 Corolla and still 'only' (in my books) $650 to insure a 3.8 V6

Both fully comp, and with equiv to max no claims, but still!

Poor nephew in London recently paid over £2,000 to insure a 1.4 polo TFPT

He IS 18 tho!

Terrible!