Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Third level education in Australia

Third level education in Australia

Old Sep 30th 2016, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

LucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really nice
Default Third level education in Australia

I have a few questions about 3rd level education in Australia

1.As a foreigner would I be eligible to pay the lower price that indigenous Australians do if I had a permanent migration visa or would I be charged more ?

2.Am a eligible to study in Australia with that visa?

3.Are the seek learning courses well regarded?
Old Sep 30th 2016, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Third level education in Australia

For heavens sake why don't you just focus on getting a visa.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

LucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really nice

Because I'm trying to assess my options if I do decide to go for the visa, why don't you just ignore my threads if its annoying you so much. I am well within my rights to ask what I want
Old Sep 30th 2016, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You have PR you can do what the heck you like. You will pay domestic rates but you will have to pay them up front each semester and not be eligible for loans. Whereas citizens can can defer payments and get loans.

Never heard of Seek learning, try uni or TAFE.

Now, work out how you get your permanent visa otherwise it's all moot.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

GreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in Australia now though did so only a few years ago and looked at studying whilst there. I didn't because of the costs, I deemed it to high (as I qualify for a home student in the UK etc).

If you don't have Permanent Residency, you will have to pay international rates. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a 'permanent residency visa' (I was a spouse on an employment visa).If your entry into Australia is for the purpose of study, then you can only enter on a student visa to study full-time at a recognised degree-awarding institution ie. university and possibly TAFE, not providers like SEEK learning. You will not be issued PR to study.

If you are trying to work the system to get into Australia on the cheap, don't bother. I don't know where you are from but Australian immigration is far more astute and stringent than the UK. Either you have a specified skill on the list and you apply for permanent residency - where they will tell you which state/region you are eligible to live and apply for jobs in. Or you enter via an employer sponsored visa with a company. Even if you enter on a study visa, that doesn't necessarily give you any rights to work or extended period of stay. So unless you find an employer who will sponsor you after you complete your study, you'll be back on the plane going home straight after.

Finally, Australia is a very expensive country, much more so than UK/Europe or the US. If you don't have a job/career that will take you there, its likely you will find life there quite hard.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 12:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GreenwichCat
I don't live in Australia now though did so only a few years ago and looked at studying whilst there. I didn't because of the costs, I deemed it to high (as I qualify for a home student in the UK etc).

If you don't have Permanent Residency, you will have to pay international rates. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a 'permanent residency visa' (I was a spouse on an employment visa).If your entry into Australia is for the purpose of study, then you can only enter on a student visa to study full-time at a recognised degree-awarding institution ie. university and possibly TAFE, not providers like SEEK learning. You will not be issued PR to study.

If you are trying to work the system to get into Australia on the cheap, don't bother. I don't know where you are from but Australian immigration is far more astute and stringent than the UK. Either you have a specified skill on the list and you apply for permanent residency - where they will tell you which state/region you are eligible to live and apply for jobs in. Or you enter via an employer sponsored visa with a company. Even if you enter on a study visa, that doesn't necessarily give you any rights to work or extended period of stay. So unless you find an employer who will sponsor you after you complete your study, you'll be back on the plane going home straight after.

Finally, Australia is a very expensive country, much more so than UK/Europe or the US. If you don't have a job/career that will take you there, its likely you will find life there quite hard.

Hope that helps.
He is looking to apply for a permanent residency visa, then study once he gets it. Most migrants come on a 189 which is an independent PR visa and they can live where they like and do whatever job they want to do.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

GreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond repute

Sure but elsewhere he is suggesting the Australian salary in his skillset is quite modest to live on, yet is already planning to embark on study. Even with PR, Australian study fees don't come cheap and he would factor on having to pay for those.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 1:47 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sure but elsewhere he is suggesting the Australian salary in his skillset is quite modest to live on, yet is already planning to embark on study. Even with PR, Australian study fees don't come cheap and he would factor on having to pay for those.

Just wanted to let you know he is planning on PR - you weren't sure if there was such a thing as a PR visa. Personally I think he should worry about getting PR and then getting a job first, studying can come much later!
Old Oct 13th 2016, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Agree, he will need his Euros for when he gets there! I left 3 years ago, is it still really expensive there?

I'm soon leaving the UK for Singapore, so who knows, might well (like to) return.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 5:45 pm
Home and Happy

Agree, he will need his Euros for when he gets there! I left 3 years ago, is it still really expensive there?

I'm soon leaving the UK for Singapore, so who knows, might well (like to) return.
Prices have gone through the roof in my 13 years here, and they keep rising.Its certainly not the cheap place it used to be, but many newbies on here refuse to listen
Saw your posts on Singapore - sounds like an interetsing adventure
Old Oct 13th 2016, 6:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where you are from but Australian immigration is far more astute and stringent than the UK.
No, it isn't. Not if you're an Australian trying to emigrate to the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 1:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Prices have gone through the roof in my 13 years here, and they keep rising.Its certainly not the cheap place it used to be, but many newbies on here refuse to listen
Saw your posts on Singapore - sounds like an interetsing adventure
My overall COL is roughly the same, maybe slightly more expensive in Australia. This is backed up with comments from recent visitors from the UK and my trip there last year

Rising COL is an indicator of economic stability and prosperity - Norway is a classic example of this. Australia is expensive but living standards are high and poverty levels are low - nobody is starving

Reality but many on here refuse to listen
Old Oct 14th 2016, 2:27 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No, it isn't. Not if you're an Australian trying to emigrate to the UK.
You're not wrong there, the UK is a lot harder to migrate to.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My overall COL is roughly the same, maybe slightly more expensive in Australia. This is backed up with comments from recent visitors from the UK and my trip there last year

Rising COL is an indicator of economic stability and prosperity - Norway is a classic example of this. Australia is expensive but living standards are high and poverty levels are low - nobody is starving

Reality but many on here refuse to listen
The reality being Australia is a vastly changed country over past decades where any sense of fairness or equality have been sold out to market forces.

Just how do you fathom, a nation with close to the highest personal debt in the world as being prosperous? All largely a mirage, as inequality becomes ever entrenched and the young are sold out.

Norway? Nothing similar to Australia. I don't believe one in three pensioners in that country live in poverty. They maintain a proper welfare system to the benefit of their people. They knew how to tax business as well to allow the building up of a sovereign fund.
Australia on the other hand has little to show for the ' boom' years, apart from the promise of hard times ahead for the most vulnerable.

An ever fractured country is the reality as living standards decline for many while the rich celebrate their ever growing status.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 8:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The reality being Australia is a vastly changed country over past decades where any sense of fairness or equality have been sold out to market forces.

Just how do you fathom, a nation with close to the highest personal debt in the world as being prosperous? All largely a mirage, as inequality becomes ever entrenched and the young are sold out.

Norway? Nothing similar to Australia. I don't believe one in three pensioners in that country live in poverty. They maintain a proper welfare system to the benefit of their people. They knew how to tax business as well to allow the building up of a sovereign fund.
Australia on the other hand has little to show for the ' boom' years, apart from the promise of hard times ahead for the most vulnerable.

An ever fractured country is the reality as living standards decline for many while the rich celebrate their ever growing status.
Australia is an awesome place - wealthier now than ever before, richer than Germany and every other European country apart from Norway and Switzerland, has the 2nd highest HDI (the best measure of a nation's performance), the 4th largest personal pension system (our version of a sovereign wealth fund), egalitarian etc

Sure, it's not perfect we could be doing better in many areas but its not bad either

<snip>

Last edited by old.sparkles; Oct 16th 2016 at 8:44 am. Reason: lets not make things personal - site rule 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.