Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Taking Another Rekkie

Thinking of Taking Another Rekkie

Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default Thinking of Taking Another Rekkie

Hi Guys

Don't know what your thoughts are on this but we have had our visa now for over 3 years and it runs out in June 2012 as you can appreciate since that time the prices in Perth in terms of housing, food etc etc have gone up and the exchange rate is terrible.

So my partner and I are thinking of taking another trip over to Perth early next year before we make the before move and move our kids and chattels and all.

Do you think this is a wise move before embarking on the bigger move? Just a little concerned thats all.

Debs x
Old Jul 1st 2010, 2:33 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of Taking Another Rekkie

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi Guys

Don't know what your thoughts are on this but we have had our visa now for over 3 years and it runs out in June 2012 as you can appreciate since that time the prices in Perth in terms of housing, food etc etc have gone up and the exchange rate is terrible.

So my partner and I are thinking of taking another trip over to Perth early next year before we make the before move and move our kids and chattels and all.

Do you think this is a wise move before embarking on the bigger move? Just a little concerned thats all.

Debs x

If you can afford it and you think it'll make your mind up either way then definitely do it. We ended up going out twice (haven't moved yet!) and the second time just confirmed how much we like it and can't wait to move there.

And being a second reccie you'll have more of an idea what you're looking for...house prices etc.

enjoy!
Old Jul 1st 2010, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Debs x
House prices are or have fallen , up to $100,000 down and still falliing.Stupid
agents are saying its the "worst " in Aust. but my perspective is its the best,
for the first time since 2003/4 prices are sub $300,00 - maybe not in the good areas yet , but its moving in the right direction.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Debs x
Sure why not. And if you decide not to make the move just look upon it as the annual holiday. Not really sure what kind of advice you are looking for here to be honest or what concerns you would like us to allay?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

We did our second recce 6 weeks ish ago, to make up our minds to get on with it and go, renting out the house we cant sell, that was the plan anyway, the wife came back with more doubts because of the cost of houses, we found theyd gone up massively where we planned to live, killed our mortgage free dream it seemed, came back really fed up and wishing i hadnt gone, but to be fair weve decided to do it still but early next year afetr a winters hard saving, either way it was a good holiday and we did do a serious amount of recceing this time, we had a much better idea of what we were looking to find out, even had a 1 to 1 career advice session at the jobcentre place on murray st, VERY WORTHWHILE, and yes i meant to shout that bit, brilliant and informative but book early, its free! Dont get that in blighty.Good luck.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, why not?

One word of caution though, we did two reccies of a month each before coming over in my experience a reccie is completely different to to making the move.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:41 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
As others have said, why not?

One word of caution though, we did two reccies of a month each before coming over in my experience a reccie is completely different to to making the move.
Reccie: Visit a prostitute ... immediate short term benefits, no drawbacks (other than cost and hopefully minor rashes/sunburn)

Living: Marry one ...

I honestly think people should stop kidding themselves about this reccie stuff ... if you want to try it then give it a good rattle and see where the chips fall.

But as people have said, the worst case is you have had a considerably less enjoyable holiday than if you hadn't been wandering around untouristy bits burdened by 'what ifs'.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys

Debs x
Hi Debs

Personally I think if you've been over before you have made your mind up about Australia whether it's for you and your family; there is nothing that can't be answered from your queries from researching it on the net. Coming over again in my opinion would just waste the money that we'd spend on it, that could better be used to starting your new life here.

We initially had our reccie in 2007 and had Perth or rather between Perth and Bussleton on our list, with places like Bunbury etc and liked all the places we'd researched. We also visited places in Qld and Victoria as well on the same reccie and liked all them as well (if you've researched places then you should have a good idea beforehand) in the end we didn't choose WA because for the size acreage we wanted we wouldn't have been comfortably mortgage free and found Vic/Qld/NSW cheaper house-wise for what we wanted.

Everyone is different but personally I'd research the information about all the things that matter to you and your family and talk to each other. I don't think this site helps at times as there is so much anti stuff on here, that used to worry me before we came over but it's worked out for us, and have no intention of going back to UK to live ever.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Hi Guys

Debs x
Hi Debs i came over in 2003 on holiday and made a permanant move in 2006 and went home. My Visa was due to run out in April this year and has so we made a decision to return with our to kids before this happened. We thought about doing another reccie before we came and decided against it as we had a good idea what we were coming to. I can honestly say that i am glad we did not bother with the other reccie as we would have learnt nothing we did not know already and it would have been a waste of cash. The best way to find out is to live here(IMO).
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:06 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

What is it with people who get the visa and then wait years to make the move? What are you expecting to change in that time? If you are waiting for the 'best' time to make the move then you may never come.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Zimzoe is a jewel in the roughZimzoe is a jewel in the roughZimzoe is a jewel in the roughZimzoe is a jewel in the rough

As other members have stated you should be able to find out any information you require on the internet. I am sure you will love living in Perth - I think if you come here with an open mind you will find this country has so much to offer particularly if you have young children, there is so much going on for them. It is not a cheap place to live but in my opinion the quality of life is so much better than in the UK. I have lived in Africa, England, Scotland and Canada and travelled extensively and this is definitely my final destination even though it certainly is not perfect. Everyone I meet who have moved here from somewhere else love living in Australia.