Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

at the thinking stage should we emmigrate? And which state melbourne sydney or brisba

at the thinking stage should we emmigrate? And which state melbourne sydney or brisba

Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:08 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future
Smile at the thinking stage should we emmigrate? And which state melbourne sydney or brisba

Hi just joined the forum and as a family we are at the very early stage of just thinking of moving and dont know whether we should emigrate to oz or relocate in uk but we would like to do either or in the next two years as our eldest kid is now 14. Would love to hear others opinions who have been in the same boat.

Reasons we want to move are
1- weather- sick of the rain, keeps us indoors most of the year.
2- the town we live in is full of drugs, heroine etc stabbings daily, theft break ins. crime rate double the average.
3. no jobs/future for our kids.

Reasons we think against.
1. of course as everyone probably thinks when moving we will miss family and worry about leaving parents as both in 70's now.
2. our kids hitting early teens now. Anyone move to oz that has teens, how did they cope with making friends, school etc, especially high school.

Finally which state is best. Have family in new south wales, but seem to be hearing melbourne and brisbane are better. I would be grateful for opinions
ps also is there any programmes or help available for autism/ aspergers

I know thats a lot of questions!!!

Last edited by crazynconfused; Nov 4th 2008 at 9:38 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at the thinking stage should we emmigrate? And which state melbourne sydney or br

Originally Posted by crazynconfused
Hi just joined the forum and as a family we are at the very early stage of just thinking of moving and dont know whether we should emigrate to oz or relocate in uk but we would like to do either or in the next two years as our eldest kid is now 14. Would love to hear others opinions who have been in the same boat.

Reasons we want to move are
1- weather- sick of the rain, keeps us indoors most of the year.
2- the town we live in is full of drugs, heroine etc stabbings daily, theft break ins. crime rate double the average.
3. no jobs/future for our kids.

Reasons we think against.
1. of course as everyone probably thinks when moving we will miss family and worry about leaving parents as both in 70's now.
2. our kids hitting early teens now. Anyone move to oz that has teens, how did they cope with making friends, school etc, especially high school.

Finally which state is best. Have family in new south wales, but seem to be hearing melbourne and brisbane are better. I would be grateful for opinions
ps also is there any programmes or help available for autism/ aspergers

I know thats a lot of questions!!!
This may come as a surprise, but as I sit here soaked to the skin after getting wet on the way home again, it rains here too - hard! And we have crime and drugs and all that stuff.

First thing you need to work out though is whether you can get a visa, without that the rest is irrelevant

www.immi.gov.au is the place to start for that.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:58 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future
Default Re: at the thinking stage should we emmigrate? And which state melbourne sydney or br

Originally Posted by Pollyana
This may come as a surprise, but as I sit here soaked to the skin after getting wet on the way home again, it rains here too - hard! And we have crime and drugs and all that stuff.

First thing you need to work out though is whether you can get a visa, without that the rest is irrelevant

www.immi.gov.au is the place to start for that.
We have already checked this out and we have enough points in the skilled list. So it is just the should we go for it ?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We have already checked this out and we have enough points in the skilled list. So it is just the should we go for it ?
I think you are the only one who can answer that question. Lots of people "just go for it" and return home in a short time. Lots of others don't.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:19 pm
bring on the sun please

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think you are the only one who can answer that question. Lots of people "just go for it" and return home in a short time. Lots of others don't.
Thanks for reply, yes, I've read a lot of threads and from what I can gather people either love it or hate it. It seems to be a big gamble. Any idea which states are best for families, melbourne, sydney or brisbane? thanks
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane are not states. They are cities. What you're asking is similar to someone saying they were thinking of moving to Britain, what's London like.

There are very happy families living all over Australia. There are also very unhappy people living all over Australia. You need to decide a few things before anyone will give you their personal opinion.

1. Work - what you do, where you can do it, where do there appear to be the most chances of finding work.
2. Lifestyle - are you a family who do family things, do you need a hugely busy nightlife or do you want really quiet etc etc etc.
3. Weather - do you become ill in the cold. Do you become ill in high humid heat. Do you want a warmer version of the UK or do you want a hugely hotter climate than the UK.

And so the list goes on. Don't forget though, there is far more to Australia than the three cities you mentioned.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

They're all different. It depends on what you want I guess.

Melbourne seems quite family focussed. If you go into the parks you can see that. From what I have seen of Sydney it seems more full of single young people - just an impression of the CBD I'm sure other people can add other opinions.

Sydney feels more like a 'natural' city with different architecture styles which have sprung up over time. Melbourne feels more like designed by committee so the architecture is a bit blander. The city council is making more of an effort these days to make the city more vibrant.

Have to admit, after being in Melbourne for a year now I am considering moving to Sydney for a bit. Who knows - after a year there I might start thinking about Brisbane!

Thoughts of moving to some of the rural areas have crossed my mind, but then I come to my senses, nahh. I drove through Ararat the other week. It was like something from the Stepford wives!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:40 pm
bring on the sun please

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane are not states. They are cities. What you're asking is similar to someone saying they were thinking of moving to Britain, what's London like.

There are very happy families living all over Australia. There are also very unhappy people living all over Australia. You need to decide a few things before anyone will give you their personal opinion.

1. Work - what you do, where you can do it, where do there appear to be the most chances of finding work.
2. Lifestyle - are you a family who do family things, do you need a hugely busy nightlife or do you want really quiet etc etc etc.
3. Weather - do you become ill in the cold. Do you become ill in high humid heat. Do you want a warmer version of the UK or do you want a hugely hotter climate than the UK.

And so the list goes on. Don't forget though, there is far more to Australia than the three cities you mentioned.
oh sorry I did know they were cities, must be tired.
We like to have days out but keep it as cheap as posssible as we have 4 kids.
kids have asthma and dont take kindly to cold damp weather they are sick from autum through to spring.
We should both have no problem finding work so not a big issue.
my biggest concern would be my kids settling.thanks for your reply those were good points you raised.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:49 pm
bring on the sun please

Thumbs up Re: at the thinking stage should we emmigrate? And which state melbourne sydney or br

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster

Melbourne seems quite family focussed. If you go into the parks you can see that. From what I have seen of Sydney it seems more full of single young people - just an impression of the CBD I'm sure other people can add other opinions.

Sydney feels more like a 'natural' city with different architecture styles which have sprung up over time. Melbourne feels more like designed by committee so the architecture is a bit blander. The city council is making more of an effort these days to make the city more vibrant.

Have to admit, after being in Melbourne for a year now I am considering moving to Sydney for a bit. Who knows - after a year there I might start thinking about Brisbane!

Thoughts of moving to some of the rural areas have crossed my mind, but then I come to my senses, nahh. I drove through Ararat the other week. It was like something from the Stepford wives!
I suppose in simple terms I want a place where I can actually walk my dog without looking over my shoulder. Where it is relatively safe for kids. When I was a child I lived in Hallet cove in Adelaide and I pretty much liked that. Corner store near by, beach close to home and a short drive to the city. Oh but definately do not like it too rural, like things a bit more happening. Opportunity to go days out.

Last edited by crazynconfused; Nov 4th 2008 at 10:54 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:52 pm
bring on the sun please

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster

Melbourne is sounding good though going by replies posted on other threads but you say you want to go to Sydney now what do you not like about melbourne? How long have you lived in australia?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

kids have asthma and dont take kindly to cold damp weather they are sick from autum through to spring.
Be warned Victoria and South Australia have some of the highest rates of asthma in the world

G
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Be warned Victoria and South Australia have some of the highest rates of asthma in the world

G
Also some people's asthma is made worse by the humidity that can be encountered in Queensland. It's not just the cold and damp - hot and damp can be bad too.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:10 pm
bring on the sun please

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Thanks I must check that out there must be a high pollen count.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Melbourne is sounding good though going by replies posted on other threads but you say you want to go to Sydney now what do you not like about melbourne? How long have you lived in australia?
I'm not going because I don't like Melbourne. I am thinking of going to try somewhere else and see what the difference is. If I go to Sydney, it might be that I decide to come back! Every place has good as well as bad points. Every place is different. What is making me consider Sydney is that there seems to be more happening there than in Melbourne. But, I live in the East part of Melbourne which is highly boring so I'm also considering moving closer in to the city. However, I work in the east so that would mean a longer commute. Just can't win!

I suppose it's also to do with my work. I'm on contract so I'm always thinking what to do when it expires. I suppose the good thing about contract is that when it is nearing completion one has the opportunity to really push the boat out and do something completely outlandish!

I've applied for PR as want to stay here in Australia, but I want to try several places before I think of settling down. From talking to the oldies in my industry there's nothing unusual in moving around Australia. They've all done that before putting roots down.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh - I've been here 13 months

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.