Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Shafting the Landlord

Thinking of Shafting the Landlord

Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:18 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking of Shafting the Landlord

Hi,

Here's the story:

We're renting a two bed house. Kids bedroom has major damp problem. Told land agents five weeks ago and builders finally came round a couple of days ago. Room has been unused since we contacted them which means 2 kids on floor in our room.

Builders reckon it's a major job and will take a couple of weeks. Heating has also now packed in. Land agent said it would be sorted within 24 hours last Thursday and surprise surprise they didn't bother contacting us.

This is just a bit in the stroy of how crap our house is. In my experience every landlord will aim to take 50% of deposit no matter how well you look after a place and how clean it is.

There's no point moving coz we're moving to Oz in Jan, so I'm thinking of not paying last lot of rental and they can keep deposit.

Any advice anyone on impact of getting rental place in Oz and what references they'll want from UK?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough
Wink Re: Thinking of Shafting the Landlord

we are thinking of doing the same!
there is nothing wrong with the house we are renting except the bloody cost, but listening to previous tenants she is a bugger to get the bond back!
we are going to ask for a reference before we do a flit, maybe you could try this, make out the letting agent in australia needs it before they put you on their list or something.

Here's the story:

We're renting a two bed house. Kids bedroom has major damp problem. Told land agents five weeks ago and builders finally came round a couple of days ago. Room has been unused since we contacted them which means 2 kids on floor in our room.

Builders reckon it's a major job and will take a couple of weeks. Heating has also now packed in. Land agent said it would be sorted within 24 hours last Thursday and surprise surprise they didn't bother contacting us.

This is just a bit in the stroy of how crap our house is. In my experience every landlord will aim to take 50% of deposit no matter how well you look after a place and how clean it is.

There's no point moving coz we're moving to Oz in Jan, so I'm thinking of not paying last lot of rental and they can keep deposit.

Any advice anyone on impact of getting rental place in Oz and what references they'll want from UK?

Thanks,

Paul.[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 15th 2004, 9:00 pm
ERM
Champions

ERM is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thinking of Shafting the Landlord

Originally Posted by diddy
Hi,

Here's the story:

Thanks,

Paul.
Hi Paul

How about this, before you go to oz sublet the property to a group of drunken, drug taking squatters that will excercise there squatters rights, in return they pay the deposit the landlord owes you. You get your money back squatters get a place to live and landlord get shafted big time.

If not just dont pay him for the last couple of months. By the time he gets you out of the property for rent arrears, you would be going to oz and he can whistle for his money. Theres nothing he can do. Well and truly shafted!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK
ERM
Old Nov 15th 2004, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

sent you a PM.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 9:08 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt an aussie landlord is gonna want a reference from some dodgy UK landlord... if he does - give him your brothers address!. He aint exactly going to check up ... I think they look more at your ability to put 3moths rent in advance and stuff like that.

You are probably pretty safe in what you plan, and if I were in same situation , having lost many deposits in past for absolutely no fault stuff, I may well do same!. They cant leave something that disruptive for that long without sorting it out, you effectively havent had use of 50% of the property.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 7:41 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers everyone for the replies.

Looks like I won't be paying rent next month.

There's loads of druggies round my way, so maybe the I could get them to squat once I've left.

I've thought about giving a relly as a landlord as suggested and if anyone has more advice on this, it would be appreciated.

My only other concern is my credit rating?

Anyone know how this works re land agents and rent?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ERM
Hi Paul

How about this, before you go to oz sublet the property to a group of drunken, drug taking squatters that will excercise there squatters rights, in return they pay the deposit the landlord owes you. You get your money back squatters get a place to live and landlord get shafted big time.

If not just dont pay him for the last couple of months. By the time he gets you out of the property for rent arrears, you would be going to oz and he can whistle for his money. Theres nothing he can do. Well and truly shafted!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK
ERM
It depends on where you are. Does your council have a rental tenancy association? If so use them against your landlord, the one here for Qld seems pretty good. Personally I'd refuse to pay. He can't do anything, your moving down under! Tell him to shove it!