Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of OZ - help required please

Thinking of OZ - help required please

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

chloemegan has a brilliant futurechloemegan has a brilliant futurechloemegan has a brilliant futurechloemegan has a brilliant futurechloemegan has a brilliant futurechloemegan has a brilliant future
Default Thinking of OZ - help required please

Hi, thinking of coming over to OZ with my wife and 2 children (10 & 6) Been over 3 times but that was 10 years ago. Where would you suggest, we want somewhere warm all year round, but not too busy and somewhere I can commute into town to work (no more than 30-40 mins each way).
My wife is a teacher assistant and I am in sales, so I would be looking for a sponsored employer before I left and have seen a few jobs, but I want to make sure we move to the right place.
Early thoughts are Sydney is too busy (traffic, prices etc), fancy brisbane, but keep getting mixed reports.
All feedback will be greatly received.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all
Default Re: Thinking of OZ - help required please

Hi,
You could consider Port Macquarie on the North Coast of NSW. Beautiful coastal city of approx. 60,000. Has just about everything there without the hassle of the big cities. Reportedly has the most comfortable climate in the world. It has about 8 or 9 great beaches and a very up to date city centre. It's 4 hrs drive from Sydney. Check it out. For me, Brisbane and Queensland is just too hot and humid for 5 or 6 months of the year. But that is just an opinion of someone with pommie blood.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:10 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I never have understood how anyone could describe Brisbane as too hot and humid. Far north tropical QLD I could understand but Brisbanes temperatures are hardly what I would call hot and sit at 25-28 spring/summer and less in the winter.

Maybe I am an aclimatised australian pom now. I would never consider anywhere further south.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I never have understood how anyone could describe Brisbane as too hot and humid. Far north tropical QLD I could understand but Brisbanes temperatures are hardly what I would call hot and sit at 25-28 spring/summer and less in the winter.

Maybe I am an aclimatised australian pom now. I would never consider anywhere further south.
I have just returned to Bris from two days in Melbourne. First visit. First impressions, Melbourne's a bit like Manchester; dark satanic mills, life unfolding beneath a leaden grey sky, temperature barely in single figures and asian taxi drivers.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 11:31 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by chloemegan
Where would you suggest, we want somewhere warm all year round, but not too busy and somewhere I can commute into town to work (no more than 30-40 mins each way).
The Wynnum area of Brisbane bayside may suit you very well.

Commute time to Brisbane CBD is about right, the weather isn't too hot in Summer, and cold?
Well... it does get cold here, but each individuals definition of cold may be different. It was only 14C the other day, and many people considered it freezing.

Even further out, near where I am, only takes about 1 hour to the City.

Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:44 am
Just Joined

chloemegan has a brilliant futurechloemegan has a brilliant futurechloemegan has a brilliant futurechloemegan has a brilliant futurechloemegan has a brilliant futurechloemegan has a brilliant future

Thanks I will look into those. Ideally I am happy to commute 30-40 mins into the city but fancy a quieter suburb for my family. Brisbane appeals most for the climate and job scene, but I dont know the out of town areas at all.
Is Sydney's traffic really bad and if so, what is like compared to getting into London?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by chloemegan
Thanks I will look into those. Ideally I am happy to commute 30-40 mins into the city but fancy a quieter suburb for my family. Brisbane appeals most for the climate and job scene, but I dont know the out of town areas at all.
Is Sydney's traffic really bad and if so, what is like compared to getting into London?
I used to drive a lot in London.

I then moved to Sydney, and thought that Sydney traffic was quiet (late 1980's). By the early 2000's Sydney traffic was a pain, and I moved up to Brisbane. Nice quiet traffic again.

Now, late 2000's and it's getting busier up here aswell.

But... how has London changed ?

Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
I have just returned to Bris from two days in Melbourne. First visit. First impressions, Melbourne's a bit like Manchester; dark satanic mills, life unfolding beneath a leaden grey sky, temperature barely in single figures and asian taxi drivers.
Funny that.. I'm from Manchester and felt right at home in Melbourne