Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

thinking of moving to Tasmania

thinking of moving to Tasmania

Old May 17th 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Smile thinking of moving to Tasmania

Me and my partner are thinking of emigrating to Tasmania. We are currently at the start of the TRA process and are employing an immigration agent to assist us as my partner has no formal qualifications just experience in his trade. My partner has family in Perth, and has travelled to different parts of Australia before (although never to Tasmania) whereas I have never been to OZ at all, and am a bit reluctant to settle where the heat may get too much for me in the summer months. I am also quite keen to not join the 100's of expats that seem to land in places like Perth each year. I'm not saying i dont enjoy fellow Englishmen's company - it's just that i would like to integrate more with people originating from where i'm planning on living (if that makes sense?).
Having looked at various sites regarding Tasmania, and knowing that our money will go further there property wise (ie, we could live right on the coast). It looks like Tasmania has closer knit communities which is kind of what we want for our children and the weather i think would suit me much more. I dont care if it gets cold in the winter - to me that is normal!
We are looking at the Hobart area's rather than North of the Island as we feel that we would be better suited for work purposes there.
Is there anyone out there who has recently emigrated to Tas or who has lived there for a while that can give us some info on what life is like there?
We are both in our 30's with one child at the moment and another on it's way, and are not seeking active nightlife anymore so we appreciate that it is quieter in Tas than in other OZ states.....
another concern of mine is the cost of travelling from the Uk to Tas. It seems to be cheaper to fly from Uk to Melbourne and then book a seperate flight to Tas - but how many people actually do this and how much longer is the journey times? I'm worried no friends or family will visit us if the journey is too much.
Anyway, we would love to hear back with any comments or questions.......
thanks for your time.
Old May 17th 2006, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

MontyMon is a jewel in the roughMontyMon is a jewel in the roughMontyMon is a jewel in the roughMontyMon is a jewel in the roughMontyMon is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: thinking of moving to Tasmania

Hi
The OH and I are in the similar stage of planning to yourselves and have come to the same conclusions regarding Tas. Added flying time to Hobart from Melbourne is just over the hour. Qantas/Jetstar currently have about 7 flights a day from Melbourne so shouldnt be too much hanging around for the family.

Message me back if you want to stay in touch during the TRA's
Old May 17th 2006, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MontyMon
Hi
The OH and I are in the similar stage of planning to yourselves and have come to the same conclusions regarding Tas. Added flying time to Hobart from Melbourne is just over the hour. Qantas/Jetstar currently have about 7 flights a day from Melbourne so shouldnt be too much hanging around for the family.

Message me back if you want to stay in touch during the TRA's
Hi montymon - thanks for your reply. Please do keep in touch throught the TRA process. What trade are you in? My OH is trying to get assessed as a Sheet metal worker and we have already been in touch with a couple of companies in Tas who have already shown interest in offering him work should we eventually go there.
Old May 17th 2006, 5:46 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: thinking of moving to Tasmania

Originally Posted by travelbug
Me and my partner are thinking of emigrating to Tasmania. We are currently at the start of the TRA process and are employing an immigration agent to assist us as my partner has no formal qualifications just experience in his trade. My partner has family in Perth, and has travelled to different parts of Australia before (although never to Tasmania) whereas I have never been to OZ at all, and am a bit reluctant to settle where the heat may get too much for me in the summer months. I am also quite keen to not join the 100's of expats that seem to land in places like Perth each year. I'm not saying i dont enjoy fellow Englishmen's company - it's just that i would like to integrate more with people originating from where i'm planning on living (if that makes sense?).

Having looked at various sites regarding Tasmania, and knowing that our money will go further there property wise (ie, we could live right on the coast). It looks like Tasmania has closer knit communities which is kind of what we want for our children and the weather i think would suit me much more. I dont care if it gets cold in the winter - to me that is normal!

We are looking at the Hobart area's rather than North of the Island as we feel that we would be better suited for work purposes there.

Is there anyone out there who has recently emigrated to Tas or who has lived there for a while that can give us some info on what life is like there?

We are both in our 30's with one child at the moment and another on it's way, and are not seeking active nightlife anymore so we appreciate that it is quieter in Tas than in other OZ states.....

another concern of mine is the cost of travelling from the Uk to Tas. It seems to be cheaper to fly from Uk to Melbourne and then book a seperate flight to Tas - but how many people actually do this and how much longer is the journey times? I'm worried no friends or family will visit us if the journey is too much.

thanks for your time.
Many ex-pats find Tassie reminiscent of the UK, since the climate is almost identical. Bear in mind, however, that the population is tiny (just under 500,000) and consequently, full time employment is not always easy to find. A lot of young Tasmanians move to the mainland after finishing their studies.

If it's fast-paced nightlife action you crave, Tassie is NOT the place for you.

The economy is small, the cost of living is disproportionately high, and houses do not have central heating or double glazing. Unless you take precautions, you will absolutely FREEZE during the winter.

Tassie people are a close-knit bunch, and this often results in a level of insularity that can appear cold and brusque to outsiders.

Having said all of this, I must point out that I lived in Tassie for 15 years and I honestly love the place. I couldn't spend the rest of my life there, but I will always return for a visit, and I still own an investment property in one of the small country towns.

For more information about Tassie than you could throw a dog at, click here and here.

Best of British luck to you.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 17th 2006 at 5:49 pm.
Old May 30th 2006, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Many ex-pats find Tassie reminiscent of the UK, since the climate is almost identical. Bear in mind, however, that the population is tiny (just under 500,000) and consequently, full time employment is not always easy to find. A lot of young Tasmanians move to the mainland after finishing their studies.

If it's fast-paced nightlife action you crave, Tassie is NOT the place for you.

The economy is small, the cost of living is disproportionately high, and houses do not have central heating or double glazing. Unless you take precautions, you will absolutely FREEZE during the winter.

Tassie people are a close-knit bunch, and this often results in a level of insularity that can appear cold and brusque to outsiders.

Having said all of this, I must point out that I lived in Tassie for 15 years and I honestly love the place. I couldn't spend the rest of my life there, but I will always return for a visit, and I still own an investment property in one of the small country towns.

For more information about Tassie than you could throw a dog at, click here and here.

Best of British luck to you.
Hi, and thanks for your reply. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond - i just havent had a chance lately to post on the site.... thanks for the info on Tassie. The more i hear and see of the place, the more it appeals to me, and my partner feels likewise. We feel we are under pressure though to move to where his sister and family live (Perth) as it would make it easier for his relatives when visiting to see both them and us.....and i think they'll be offended slightly if we choose to live nowhere near them!
if you dont mind me asking, what did you do workwise for the 15years you spent on the Island? What were your main reasons for leaving? and why will you never return (apart from a holiday?)......
Old May 30th 2006, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

tassiebound is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your time.
Hello,

We are also off to Tasmania. Without getting into a heated Perth/faceless suburbs/retirement village/house prices debate we also came to the same conclusion and I agree with you 100% about integration and all that.

Cold winters mean I can grow leeks and parsnips and the not over-hot summers mean lots of other lovely fruit and veg - Yay! I'm not sure about the price of bannanas in Tas but expect its quite a lot

We'll be getting a flight from melbourne to hobart seperately with virginblue as quantas or singapore was £1400 one way from london!!! We've debated the whole family will they/wont they visit thing, but at the end of the day it's only 1hr extra. PLUS it gives them a chance to get over their jet lag in melbourne before they see you.

We lived in Wellington in NZ and we're expecting it to be a smaller version of that - Could you suggest a UK equivalent Vash?

Agree with the other comments about jobs and prices but it really does seem a perfect gem of a place to live.

Last edited by tassiebound; May 30th 2006 at 3:16 pm.
Old May 30th 2006, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi - and thanks for your post....great to hear of someone else also considering a move to Tassie. You need not go into a debate about Perth with me - i've never been but just know that it's really not my cup of tea! My partner has been and does like it - although he appreciates that it might get too hot in the summer for me! How many of you are planning on moving to Tassie ? Do you have any kids? if so, how many - how old? Also, what do you do workwise ? (if you dont mind me asking all these questions that is!)
We've also come to the conclusion now that our best bet would be to fly to Melbourne or Sydney on as cheap a deal as possible and then get the flight from one of those to Hobart.......
My partner is also a keen gardener as you seem to be - so perhaps we can keep in touch via the forum on how things are going with your move etc ? that would be great.
Old May 30th 2006, 6:37 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: thinking of moving to Tasmania

if you dont mind me asking, what did you do workwise for the 15years you spent on the Island?
I moved to Tassie with my family when I was 8 years old (my father had been offered a job with TEMCO) and I was still a uni student when I returned to Western Australia, so employment didn't really enter the equation!

What were your main reasons for leaving?
I wanted to go home to Western Australia!

and why will you never return (apart from a holiday?)......
Socio-economic reasons!

All my friends and relatives live on the mainland - mostly in WA and SA. Tassie is a great place to visit, but I don't think it would be easy to find work as it is on the mainland, and I'd miss all my favourite people.
Old May 30th 2006, 6:49 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by tassiebound
We lived in Wellington in NZ and we're expecting it to be a smaller version of that - Could you suggest a UK equivalent Vash?
A UK equivalent of Tassie? Difficult to answer, since Australia is just so different to the UK - no matter where you live.

But if I had to name a place, I suppose Devon would serve as a reasonable comparison to Tassie - though not equivalent to it by any means.
Old May 30th 2006, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

tassiebound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
A UK equivalent of Tassie? Difficult to answer, since Australia is just so different to the UK - no matter where you live.

But if I had to name a place, I suppose Devon would serve as a reasonable comparison to Tassie - though not equivalent to it by any means.
Sorry I wasnt very clear - I meant a UK equivalent to Hobart in size etc etc.....
Old May 30th 2006, 9:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by tassiebound
Sorry I wasnt very clear - I meant a UK equivalent to Hobart in size etc etc.....

Hobart is the state capital and most populous city of the Australian island state of Tasmania. Founded in 1804 as a penal colony, it is Australia's second oldest and twelfth largest city, with a metropolitan population of 206,000.
Source.

You can find plenty of information about Hobart by following that link.

As for a UK equivalent; well, I don't really know. You might be in a better position to make that judgement, since I haven't visited any town or city in the UK which reminds me of Hobart.
Old May 30th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your time.
hi travelbug-i have sent you a PM.
Old May 30th 2006, 10:28 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Tasmania has some of the best scenery in OZ , The climate in almost the same as England and similar green countryside. It has the cleanist least polluted air anywhere in the world. It has the lowest crime rate in OZ, very little crime. The downside is because of the small population there is a higher unemployment rate and less job opportunities then the mainland and unless you are looking for a quite rural type, small town, lifestyle you may find it boring or isolated.