Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving as a single mum

Thinking of moving as a single mum

Old Apr 4th 2021, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Annamumto3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving as a single mum

Hello

im trying to learn as much as I can as I’m deciding between Canada and Australia for my family. There are 4 of us. Myself (40) my son (18) other son (11) daughter 4 months)
my older 2 are fully onboard to move and are really excited.
im looking at the legal side. My 11 year old was conceived using a sperm donor. I have no paperwork to prove this as I fled
domestic abuse and left it all behind. My 4 month old daughter was conceived by rape with my ex partner (long list of abuse including child abuse!) I’m pressing charges and have been told there isn’t enough evidence so the case will likely be dropped. My ex is not on my daughters birth certificate. He asked to be kept in the loop when I was 6 months pregnant. I’ve heard nothing since (he’s had means to contact me through social services as I am supporting there case against him not being allowed to see his children after witnessing the hell he put them and their mother through while we were together.

im trying to find out if I’d need his permission to take my daughter to live in Australia even though he isn’t on her birth certificate.
and if I’d need court permission to take my 11 year old out of the country please?

Old Apr 4th 2021, 7:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving as a single mum

Hi Anna, welcome to BE

As your situation with your two youngest kids is quite complex I really think you need professional advice re your options to remove them from the UK. If funds are an issue, do you have a community legal centre or a citizen's advice bureau near you? As a rule of thumb for children who are minors, you'd either need the father's permission to take them overseas, or if that was refused then you need to apply for permission from the relevant court. But I really do think you need to seek professional advice.

Re your 18 year old, is he still in education or is he working?

Also, what visa are you planning to move to Australia on?

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Apr 4th 2021 at 7:49 am.
Old Apr 4th 2021, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Annamumto3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

thank you for the reply
i have had a free 30 min online chat with a immigration solicitor. They have said no permission is needed because I have sole parental responsibility for both kids.

my 18 year old is home educated and in full education still yes
Old Apr 4th 2021, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Have I missed something? On what grounds will you emigrate? Do you have a sponsor? Or in a position that is in short supply in either country? It's not just a matter of wanting to go, as I'm sure you realize.
Old Apr 4th 2021, 10:21 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annamumto3
Hi

thank you for the reply
i have had a free 30 min online chat with a immigration solicitor. They have said no permission is needed because I have sole parental responsibility for both kids.

I moved to Australia as a single mum, but I have a skill in demand and moved on a skilled visa.

Without a skill in demand (as per your post in the Canada section), it is unlikely that you will be able to move to any country. Yes it is theoretically possible to study something and get a student visa, but there are limited working rights associated with a study visa, and the costs significant.

Have you considered OU in the UK or other online study to get you a skill. Obviously, by the time you achieve the necessary skill level, your oldest would be unlikely to be able to be included as a dependent but not impossible.

Edit - sorry, just seen your age. I don't think even studying for a skill will get you to AU - not sure on NZ

Last edited by old.sparkles; Apr 4th 2021 at 10:23 am.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annamumto3
Hi

thank you for the reply

Big alarm bells are ringing. You need to speak to a registered migration agent. There are a number who post regularly on the forum. The advice you have been given is wrong or at least too simple

The 18 year old will need to be in full time education at the time of application. That is likely to be many months from now. Home school at that level may also cause alarm bells.

Also what occupation are you planning on migrating under?
Old Apr 5th 2021, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I seriously wonder how a single mum, with the cost of child care think they would manage in a country like Australia? It could be assumed that the 18 year old would be further engaged in education or work and not be available as a child carer. The difficulties seem to outweigh any potential benefits even if came to pass.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 9:56 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I seriously wonder how a single mum, with the cost of child care think they would manage in a country like Australia? It could be assumed that the 18 year old would be further engaged in education or work and not be available as a child carer. The difficulties seem to outweigh any potential benefits even if came to pass.
Same way single parents manage anywhere, with or without family support.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Same way single parents manage anywhere, with or without family support.
Well hardly. In a new country sans other family support without 'friends' not sure of means of support, I do get get the feeling it could pose greater difficulties. But feel free to elaborate if think otherwise.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Well hardly. In a new country sans other family support without 'friends' not sure of means of support, I do get get the feeling it could pose greater difficulties. But feel free to elaborate if think otherwise.
Child care is heavily subsidised in Australia for those earning little.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:46 am

If migrating as a single parent then presumably they are used to juggling work and parental responsibilities. They also would have a skill in demand most likely to be migrating so hopefully not too low pay.

If you are used to juggling work, house, both parent roles, etc. you also get used to paying for childcare since you cannot afford to rely on family / friends constantly.

Now I admit my move as a single parent was when young spark was older, but before I moved I lived and worked near London and family live in Wales. Young spark has ASD and I'm very used to juggling work, home, hospital, therapy, childcare, etc, etc all around shiftwork!

Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Beoz
Not sure at what level you lose childcare subsidies, but its well above minimum wage from what I've heard.

Not sure what current costs are like in UK, but I seem to recall paying £150 - £200 week when young spark had full time childcare (which is going back one or two years lol) with no subsidies.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not sure at what level you lose childcare subsidies, but its well above minimum wage from what I've heard.

Not sure what current costs are like in UK, but I seem to recall paying £150 - £200 week when young spark had full time childcare (which is going back one or two years lol) with no subsidies.
Up to $67,000 you are covered for 85% of the costs. Once the combined family income hits $350,000 you are on your own. This system does well for single mums but for those mothers who have the potential to earn well and pay a lot of tax this system does not provide the encouragement.

The cost per day varies on location. I know in the eastern suburbs of Sydney you can pay up to $200 per day. We pay about $115 and even that's mad but the hours of operation suit us.

If she was on minimum wage and had a child in for $100 per day she would cover the out of pocket expense in 1 hour of work.

Last edited by Beoz; Apr 6th 2021 at 9:49 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 9:01 am

Up to $67,000 you are covered for 85% of the costs. Once the combined family income hits $350,000 you are on your own. This system does well for single mums but for those mothers who have the potential to earn well and pay a lot of tax this system does not provide the encouragement.

The cost per day varies on location. I know in the eastern suburbs of Sydney you can pay up to $200 per day. We pay about $115 and even that's mad but the hours of operation suit us.

If she was on minimum wage and had a child in for $100 per day she would cover the out of pocket expense in 1 hour of work.
Doesn't sound that bad. The £150-£200 week was probably close to half my wage if I only worked a flat week on days but I rarely did. And the half that was left was way better than dole. Plus working is better than not
Old Apr 9th 2021, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

Only for those with PR or citizenship...