Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Perth after 2yrs in Melb.

Thinking of moving to Perth after 2yrs in Melb.

Old May 14th 2009, 3:26 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice
Default Thinking of moving to Perth after 2yrs in Melb.

Why would I do that? Why? We like living in a rural area (St Andrews) but its just so inconvenient to get to the CBD so a smaller city would mean we could still maintain a rural lifestyle but be much closer to the CBD, right? Plus climate, beeches, blah blah. But I know that jobs will be fewer (I'm a java/web developer) and I dont know how the schools compare. Any thoughts? Anyone made this kind of move?

Cheers
Old May 14th 2009, 3:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Perth after 2yrs in Melb.

Do it, I went to Melbourne once and it was crap.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:47 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Do it, Perth is great , great weather and great beaches
Old May 14th 2009, 4:16 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Mate that was Sydney. Melbourne is the one without the Opera House.

Al
Old May 14th 2009, 4:29 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice

I like the encouragement I'm getting.......keep it up, give me more !
Old May 14th 2009, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you want of a city. If it's purely for work - then I would give it a go. Wonder if you might miss the diversity of Victoria itself though?
Old May 14th 2009, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ectomorph
I like the encouragement I'm getting.......keep it up, give me more !
perth is not for everyone..if you like rural you may enjoy perth..great rural locations in 30-40 min drive to the cbd.. and close to great beaches, the hills are also lovely, or you may like to live in applecross, according to wanted down under thats in the COUNTRY Its really only 5 mins from cbd!!
Old May 14th 2009, 6:52 am
True Blue

Its sounding like a good idea. We're from Calgary, Alberta and the two cities are very similar in size, population and looks. It was great. Had a great house and only short distance from CBD. I'm thinking Perth could offer the same.
Old May 14th 2009, 9:11 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Its sounding like a good idea. We're from Calgary, Alberta and the two cities are very similar in size, population and looks. It was great. Had a great house and only short distance from CBD. I'm thinking Perth could offer the same.
I spent 4 years in Canada, 2 in Calgary and 2 in NS. We love Perth as it has a very similar feel to Calgary without the mountains (and the cold!) We lived in the NW of the city and the same distance in Perth would take far less time to travel, Crowchild from the north I remember as being hell, not much better if you had to tackle Deerfoot or McCleod Trails. Not sure how it compares to Melbourne, if you can afford it come for a long weekend.
Old May 14th 2009, 10:37 pm
True Blue

We lived in the NW also, in Hillhurst along 15st. Had to go along Deerfoot each morning to get to work at Westjet. Wouldnt go back to living in the burbs so I like the idea of Perth being accessible unlike out here in St Andrews.
Old May 15th 2009, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Check out house prices too before you make any decisions. Rural Victoria can be cheaper than rural WA. You may get more for your money in Victoria.

Gems
Old May 15th 2009, 8:59 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Perth is the most boring place on earth apparently
Old May 15th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future

yes it is to some, but to others its a great place to live.. with perth it really is each to their own...we love the life style here..camping fishing,bbqs,etc..but its not for everyone..do your research, on jobs,property,etc...then GO FOR IT..
Old May 16th 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renth
I'm sure you'll find Perth really exciting with lots of things to do unlike Melbourne where we can't find anything interesting to sustain our boring lives. Not!
Old May 16th 2009, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would I do that? Why? We like living in a rural area (St Andrews) but its just so inconvenient to get to the CBD so a smaller city would mean we could still maintain a rural lifestyle but be much closer to the CBD, right? Plus climate, beeches, blah blah. But I know that jobs will be fewer (I'm a java/web developer) and I dont know how the schools compare. Any thoughts? Anyone made this kind of move?

Cheers
Each to their own.

I am bored shitless in Perth and I am considering Melbourne, maybe we should house swap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.