Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Mandurah.

Wikiposts

Thinking of moving to Mandurah.

Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:57 am
Just Joined

angry-ball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Mandurah.

Just wondering if anybody is living in Mandurah, and give me some advice on moving there, where to rent a house and where not too, recomendations for somewhere close to the beach and also close to the town centre, Advice on primary and secondary schools, public or private.
Social scene, Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants, Etc,
Iam currently living in Bunbury, and have the wife and kids coming to join me in the next few weeks, but to be honest Bunbury has failed to impress me so far, I find it very quiet and boring especially the social scene, kinda hoping Mandurah will be a bit of a step up from this (can't see how it would be any worse) anyway would like to research Mandurah a bit first before the family come over.
Pro's and Con's of Mandurah and any other info would be great.
Thanks
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:22 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Mandurah.

Hi.
We moved from Bunbury to Mandurah last year. Admittedly due to work but I do know what you mean re Bunbury nightlife. Anyway we love it and I must admit Mandurah wasn't on our list of places to move to. We're very central and an wal or bike anywhere. Winter it is pretty dead but it's coming to life now. Some reasoable bars and restaurants but if you want out every night you'll quickly exhaust what Mandurah has to offer. Cant help re schools as we don't have any kids.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

It is not only for the social life we would be moving, I think it would provide better work opurtunities aswell with its train link to Perth. I drive excavators for a living and wages here in Bunbury are $25-27 an hr, I could get upto $40+ an hr in Perth. I have 2 potential jobs lined up in Perth but start dates are a few weeks away yet.
Just dont think I want to move to Perth completly, just wondering would I see much in the way of increased activity in night/social life and general day to day living.
How would people compare Mandurah to Bunbury?.
Would it make much difference to the kids as regards things for them to do?
Is there much of an Irish and British population there?
Old Oct 19th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We lived near Bunbury when we first emigrated 10 years ago, only for 6 weeks though before moving to Mandurah. We're still here, and have no regrets. Mandurah has grown considerably in that time - it will never be a busy city like Perth, but that suits us fine. Having the railway line built and the new freeway extension has made a big difference to anyone who commutes to Perth. We live near the freeway interchange and it's so easy to drive up to Perth now, we can be in the CBD in under 40 minutes. Going by train is really easy too; my teenagers have attended so more events in Perth with their friends since the trains started running a few years ago.

Being a tourist town, there are plenty of restaurants here, and not just in the centre of Mandurah, there are heaps of places to try in surrounding suburbs. There are nightclubs in the centre, can't comment on them though as my kids aren't really into that scene. Murphy's Irish Pub opened up a few years ago, and is a fantastic place. Great food, friendly staff, different thing happening every night (live bands, karoke, quiz nights etc). There is a pub serving British food and beer in Baldivis called the Vernon Arms, about 20 minute drive away. If a family pub down by the river on a hot summer's day appeals to you try the Ravenswood, they also have live bands, the setting there next to the river would appeal to many Poms I think. Also we just discovered another Irish pub/restaurant called Friar Tuck's, been there a few times, very nice. There are so many nice places to eat out around here, anyone who moans just isn't looking hard enough. Of course there are plenty of other options out there for your social life, sporting or community events, whatever you're into as a family I'm sure - have a look at the Mandurah website www.mandurah.wa.gov.au Also there has been a community forum evening recently with key speakers, local politicians and members of the public all having their say - Mandurah is growing rapidly and they wanted to get feedback from members of the public to find out what things to city needs to improve, what facilities are lacking, where we are heading over the next 10 or 20 years etc.

Whilst Bunbury is a lovely place, I'm glad we didn't settle there. Just a bit too far away from Perth really, especially for the kids. How old are yours? I have one out at work having been to uni, one at uni and one just about to finish year 12. They all had the option of going to college, uni or work etc knowing they could easily commute (by train) to Perth, but are now all driving too so that makes it easier. I think they would really be cursing now if we had settled in Bunbury, such a long drive away and fewer options for uni. If their chosen study wasn't available, it would have meant boarding in Perth for sure, very expensive with three kids.

You don't necessarily have to restrict your house-search to beachside suburbs; anywhere in Mandurah and surrounds will be close to the beach, within a 15 minute drive probably. You will pay a premium living within a stone's throw, unless of course you want to jog along the beach every morning for exercise. Given that you are planning to commute to Perth, I would suggest narrowing your search down to northern suburbs, anything south will increase your journey time, so many traffic lights along the main road. Also the freeway connection is much more accessible. Try Madora Bay area or anything along the coastline if you want beachside, or Lakelands or Meadow Springs just over the main road, 5 minute drive to beach. Even Secret Harbour (midway between Mandurah and Rockingham) would be worth a look, very popular with Poms. Schools everywhere, are you going to be looking at private or public? Wherever you live will be serviced by school buses. Plenty of kids from Perth and Rockingham commute by train down to Mandurah for the private schools (somewhat cheaper than Perth). The main public school John Tonkin College is now an independant school and has improved so much with a huge choice of subjects on offer for years 11 & 12 that we took our son out of private to send him there, he's doing great too.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Very comprehensive report there Jacqui

I worked in Mandurah for six weeks when I came here first and thought it a much more vibrant place to Bunbury.
Kids are 13,11 and 9, we were thinking of going private with them most likely a catholic school, but would prefer a private school that had no religous curiculum TBH.
I worked in spring meadows, and thought that was a nice area so i think I will start my search there.
How much could I expect to pay for a 4 bed house in the northern suburbs?
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids were 7, 9 & 11 when we emigrated, just the right age before it disrupted schooling. None of the private schools have a religious-free curriculum, I think that applies Australia-wide. Frederick Irwin Anglican School is in Meadow Springs but has such a long waiting-list, it's unlikely you'd get your kids in there. Mandurah Baptist College (a fairly new school) has become very popular, that's in Lakelands and would be just as convenient for you, I don't know what the wait there is like though. There is primary and secondary on the one site. Otherwise the public school is John Tonkin College (year 10 and up) with Mandurah High feeding into it (year 8 & 9). The private schools are all very academic based; whereas John Tonkin College offers both academic and vocational classes to cater for a variety of student abilities (and there is no religious instruction). BTW high schools here are usually named colleges, I don't know why, it's confusing What we know as college is referred to as TAFE (tertiary and further education).

Meadow Springs is expanding all the time, there is good access to public transport and the shops and it's only a short drive to the centre of Mandurah, hospital, beach etc. With three children you'll be looking at a 4x2 (4 bed 2 bath) home, expect to pay upwards of $350k.