Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Helensvale, Gold Coast

Thinking of moving to Helensvale, Gold Coast

Old Feb 1st 2012, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Helensvale, Gold Coast

Hi,
We have 3 children (13, 11 & 8). Our oldest goes to Helensvale High School and loves the school, last year his report home was great, but to be honest he has never had a bad school report.

I wouldn't have wanted him to go to Upper Coomera State College due to some stories we have heard but again we have friends who are perfectly happy with the school.
We have friends who have children in Helensvale Primary who are also happy.

Our daughters go to the new Coomera Rivers State school (Opened last year) and i would definitely recommend it, again both of them brought home great reports, the Prinicpal is lovely as are the teachers. My youngest daughters best friend was at one of the private schools in Upper Coomera and she said she is so glad that she pulled her out and sent her to Coomera Rivers instead!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
Any reason you're decided on the Gold Coast?

I appreciate it's lovely down there (in parts) but if you have kids you may limit your time with them.

7am train (so leave home at 6.45am) leave Brisbane 5.05pm, home by 6pm ish - not much time to see the kids and they potentially may need after school care (age dependant).

The commute is the only reason I don't live on the coast. Instead I live in Brisbane and go to the coast just about every weekend (Gold or Sunshine Coast). Best of both worlds - with my job I'd not have much time in the evening to go to the beach anyway, so weekends are fine for me.

House prices are potentially a bit higher but not outrageously so if you live a bit further out (20 - 25min train commute).

Just a thought!
hey guys. thanks for your comments. reason for gc is just that we love the beach and its close by from helensvale. theme parks etc are close too for the kids. and its a nice area with reasonable priced houses.

now for the commute which is the only negative. with the kids and work we are always pretty tired. our commute to work odd as it sounds is the only time we can relax. at the moment its 40 mins on a bus. our thinking was that 60 mins on train isn't much worse and we can relax, read, do some work for our sideline on the laptop. this is kind of why driving is a no-no.

we really like the look of helensvale but after your comments have looked at where else we could go. saw shorncliffe but don't know much about it. only 30 mins on train. that means we'd be back to see kids by 6 ;-(
can you guys recommend any other good burbs on a train line that are busy suburbs and on way to beaches? we looked at wynnum which was nice but Mrs thought was bit rough
Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

The Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Cumbrian has a reputation beyond repute

I currently work as a teacher in Yatala at a good private school called Rivermount College, which stands 20 mins north of Helensvale. My 2 children attend and seem to be getting on great. Compared to schools in England I have taught in, it is paradise! I have also heard that Ormeau is an upcoming place to live which again is very near to Helensvale so it may be worth checking it out.
Good luck.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Cumbrian
I currently work as a teacher in Yatala at a good private school called Rivermount College, which stands 20 mins north of Helensvale. My 2 children attend and seem to be getting on great. Compared to schools in England I have taught in, it is paradise! I have also heard that Ormeau is an upcoming place to live which again is very near to Helensvale so it may be worth checking it out.
Good luck.
thanks cumbrian. yeah we checked out ormeau while over there. weren't any houses near the station and its a very remote quiet place. good idea though so thanks for the suggestion
Old Feb 1st 2012, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by itxrd
thanks cumbrian. yeah we checked out ormeau while over there. weren't any houses near the station and its a very remote quiet place. good idea though so thanks for the suggestion
I once got the train from Ormeu, lots who got on there brought their own stools & sat in the isles quite a few just sat on the floor. No chance of a seat whatsoever

From what I can see the schools may be good but basically you're back in the Hills District, bottom line is if there where any perfect compromises we'd all be doing it.

If your serious you need to take a trip up here & see where you like best.

Last edited by coldbeer; Feb 1st 2012 at 9:37 am.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coldbeer
I once got the train from Ormeu, lots who got on there brought their own stools & sat in the isles quite a few just sat on the floor. No chance of a seat whatsoever

From what I can see the schools may be good but basically you're back in the Hills District, bottom line is if there where any perfect compromises we'd all be doing it.

yeah you're right. we stayed a week 2 weeks ago and liked helensvale. until you started to put me off ha ha. I think we ll come again and try the train but it looks the best bet. thanks for all the info. really appreciate it!!
Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

yeah you're right. we stayed a week 2 weeks ago and liked helensvale. until you started to put me off ha ha.
Didn't mean to put you off, just wanted you to know what the commute's really like (I'm off to do it now!).

Good luck & feel free to drop me a line if you settle here.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coldbeer

"Back in the Hills" district - a very one sided point of view. I think its personal preference to be honest. 40 minutes from Brisbane, 20 minutes from the Gold Coast, 3 schools, a train station and with everything else we need right on our door step puts us exactly where we want to be. And I would expect that once Ormeau Town Centre is built, which includes another train station, it will become a very popular place to live.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sassie
"Back in the Hills" district - a very one sided point of view. I think its personal preference to be honest. 40 minutes from Brisbane, 20 minutes from the Gold Coast, 3 schools, a train station and with everything else we need right on our door step puts us exactly where we want to be. And I would expect that once Ormeau Town Centre is built, which includes another train station, it will become a very popular place to live.
Fair enough, its my view and no-one else's, there's nothing wrong with the Hills either, I've lived there but its not to everyone's tastes, especially the OP's.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Hi itxrd,
Just another point of view on the commute. My oh, does it every day and is very happy. Gets on at Coomera. Either 6:55 or 7:10, doesn't get a seat usually but prefers a good place to lean. Gets on at Central coming home and always sits, which to be fair is when you need it after a day at work. Yes it's a busy but you can use the time to unwind. I see a few people walking to the train station from a new development, near the Coomera Rivers new state school. I think it's called big sky?. There is also a new high school being built near to the area. I thought the info might help to confuse you even more.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Very remote?
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flodsfive
Hi itxrd,
Just another point of view on the commute. My oh, does it every day and is very happy. Gets on at Coomera. Either 6:55 or 7:10, doesn't get a seat usually but prefers a good place to lean. Gets on at Central coming home and always sits, which to be fair is when you need it after a day at work. Yes it's a busy but you can use the time to unwind. I see a few people walking to the train station from a new development, near the Coomera Rivers new state school. I think it's called big sky?. There is also a new high school being built near to the area. I thought the info might help to confuse you even more.
okay nice one. that's good to hear. coomera is just 6 mins closer so that's promising for helensvale. wouldn't kill me standing one way either but its easy to talk ;-). thanks!
on another note train fare is dear. $20 a day. anyone know why they got rid of the monthly/annual passes? gits
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

on another note train fare is dear. $20 a day. anyone know why they got rid of the monthly/annual passes? gits
You get a Go Card.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:41 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

okay nice one. that's good to hear. coomera is just 6 mins closer so that's promising for helensvale. wouldn't kill me standing one way either but its easy to talk ;-). thanks!
Please make sure you 'practice' the commute before committing to it. Standing up is one thing, standing up with no personal space and some sweaty bloke's armpit in your face for an hour is another.

I know you said that the commute is wind-down time for you but not if it's jostling all the way surely? Not being able to sit and read/work would for me it would be a royal pain in the butt!

Hope it works out for you!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You get a Go Card.
And with a Go Card its about $20 p.d. ($19 now) think.

And yes "very remote" compared to Bris or GC, I wasn't suggesting it was Alice Springs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.