Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking moving to Geelong - anyone living there to comment?

Thinking moving to Geelong - anyone living there to comment?

Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

pete699 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking moving to Geelong - anyone living there to comment?

Hello,

Looking now at migrating and thinking of a move to Geelong as we know people south of Melbourne - any of you contributors living there to comment on Geelong for us?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Thinking moving to Geelong - anyone living there to comment?

Originally Posted by pete699
Hello,

Looking now at migrating and thinking of a move to Geelong as we know people south of Melbourne - any of you contributors living there to comment on Geelong for us?

Geelong is quite industrial, about 200,000 residents. The surrounding areas and suburbs have some very nice opportunities for a great lifestyle. If I was working in Geelong I would live on the beach or on the Bellarine Peninsula, only annoyance might be all the tourists but that's what you pay for living in a touristy place!

Btw Geelong is normally considered to be West of Melbourne, South would normally be thought of as Mornington Peninsula etc.

Good luck

Buzzy
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:43 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thinking moving to Geelong - anyone living there to comment?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Geelong is quite industrial, about 200,000 residents. The surrounding areas and suburbs have some very nice opportunities for a great lifestyle. If I was working in Geelong I would live on the beach or on the Bellarine Peninsula, only annoyance might be all the tourists but that's what you pay for living in a touristy place!

Btw Geelong is normally considered to be West of Melbourne, South would normally be thought of as Mornington Peninsula etc.

Good luck

Buzzy
l agree l didn't like Geelong itself that much but the actual area just outside Geelong is really nice with great beaches and nice green countryside. If l had a job in Geelong l would live in one of the nice coastal towns nearby like Queenscliffe, Anglesea, Torquy and drive or catch a bus a short distance to Geelong each day.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:23 am
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice

Originally Posted by pete699
Hello,

Living here and loving it!! We started off in Eltham which is North East of Melbourne which was beautiful but busy with traffic. We also love the Great Ocean Road and the Bay Beaches weren't for us so decided to move to Geelong after 6months and have been here for about 12 months now .

We have three boys who all love the school they attend (Christian College Geelong) and all now surf - awesome!!

Geelong is about an hours drive from Melbourne (it could take 50 mins from Eltham some days!!) so if you need to get up there it's no drama really. I get the impression that some years ago Geelong was deemed to be scruffy and there are still parts where that is apparent, but I think alot of money has been spent in recent years to give it a facelift and I think it's working.

Areas to look at living would be Highton, Newtown, Wandana Heights, Geelong West, Waurn Ponds - probably more but they are the ones I know best.

Any other info you need feel free to message me.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

JMC1678 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ittakesages
Living here and loving it!! We started off in Eltham which is North East of Melbourne which was beautiful but busy with traffic. We also love the Great Ocean Road and the Bay Beaches weren't for us so decided to move to Geelong after 6months and have been here for about 12 months now .

We have three boys who all love the school they attend (Christian College Geelong) and all now surf - awesome!!

Geelong is about an hours drive from Melbourne (it could take 50 mins from Eltham some days!!) so if you need to get up there it's no drama really. I get the impression that some years ago Geelong was deemed to be scruffy and there are still parts where that is apparent, but I think alot of money has been spent in recent years to give it a facelift and I think it's working.

Areas to look at living would be Highton, Newtown, Wandana Heights, Geelong West, Waurn Ponds - probably more but they are the ones I know best.

Any other info you need feel free to message me.
Hi, I had a look around Geelong today. It seems nice enough albeit a little small. I had an interview in Corio and if I get the job would look at moving to Geelong. I'm a single guy so I guess renting a place to myself would be too expensive? Is there anywhere that advertises house share locally?