British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Thinking of moving to brisbane soon - HELP?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/thinking-moving-brisbane-soon-help-769569/)

jonnyfletch89 Aug 26th 2012 10:03 pm

Thinking of moving to brisbane soon - HELP?!

Hi everyone,

I've been on here quite a while as my parents and sisters live in Cleveland, Brisbane. I however lived out there for quite a while but moved back to Manchester with my partner where we decided to live.

We now live in Cheadle, rented house, I work at the bank as a Banking Advisor and my partner works within the bank industry too. We have just had a new addition to our family, a baby boy called Louis who is now 11 weeks old.

Seriously considering our future, what would be best etc for ourselves and our son to grow up.

There is just a few things that we need to think about to make our minds up on definately moving over, because if we do - I'd want it to be long term. None of this trying it out for a year or so and moving back.

Basically I need information on certain things such as; obtaining a mortgage even though we have just moved over, bank credit history etc for if needs be to get a loan for a car or something to help with the transition of the move, job prospects.

We have friends over there and I obviously have my family so the transition meeting new people isn't a problem, its just leaving people here, our friends and family, my partners family in particular, anyone have any advice on this?

Mortgage - We currently rent a house costs £600pcm, we would love a mortgage here in UK but we don't have the funds to put down as a deposit like most people these days. What is the mortgage situation like in Australia at the moment? Is it easy to obtain? Do they do anything like a 0% deposit? wheres the best place to look?

Bank credit history - Obviously moving from uk to australia, does credit history follow? we both dont exactly have the greatest credit history purely because ever since we turned 18 we have lived in Australia for a year and travelled around etc so we literally have no credit, tried all the things everyone has said, electoral register, get out a mobile phone which we have done but nothing seems to help. Is it easy to apply for credit in aus? As we probably would once we get there to help things out, moving, possible car loan etc?

Job prospects - I myself work in the bank industry, love it. But i'd feel so much more comfortable going to Aus with a guaranteed job, something i can go into pretty much straight away instead of worrying when i get there that i cant find one and with my son and partner i dont think its something to even consider. Is there any place, website, bank etc that you can apply for jobs overseas and guarantee the job? I know my mum when she moved over sorted everything out with a hospital before she even got there, i kind of want to follow her footsteps. I think if i can get a job guaranteed, then it can give my partner some breathing space. Does anybody know what the sort of pay is? I'm basically a banking advisor, open bank accounts, loans, credit cards etc.

If anyone reading this knows any information, even if its a little bit then please forward your knowledge, we'd both love to hear from you all. Will be on this for quite a while so hope to speak to you all at one point.

thanks Jonny & Sophie

bingobob777 Aug 26th 2012 10:19 pm

Re: Thinking of moving to brisbane soon - HELP?!

Originally Posted by jonnyfletch89 (Post 10247785)
Hi everyone,

I've been on here quite a while as my parents and sisters live in Cleveland, Brisbane. I however lived out there for quite a while but moved back to Manchester with my partner where we decided to live.

We now live in Cheadle, rented house, I work at the bank as a Banking Advisor and my partner works within the bank industry too. We have just had a new addition to our family, a baby boy called Louis who is now 11 weeks old.

Seriously considering our future, what would be best etc for ourselves and our son to grow up.

There is just a few things that we need to think about to make our minds up on definately moving over, because if we do - I'd want it to be long term. None of this trying it out for a year or so and moving back.

Basically I need information on certain things such as; obtaining a mortgage even though we have just moved over, bank credit history etc for if needs be to get a loan for a car or something to help with the transition of the move, job prospects.

We have friends over there and I obviously have my family so the transition meeting new people isn't a problem, its just leaving people here, our friends and family, my partners family in particular, anyone have any advice on this?

Mortgage - We currently rent a house costs £600pcm, we would love a mortgage here in UK but we don't have the funds to put down as a deposit like most people these days. What is the mortgage situation like in Australia at the moment? Is it easy to obtain? Do they do anything like a 0% deposit? wheres the best place to look?

Bank credit history - Obviously moving from uk to australia, does credit history follow? we both dont exactly have the greatest credit history purely because ever since we turned 18 we have lived in Australia for a year and travelled around etc so we literally have no credit, tried all the things everyone has said, electoral register, get out a mobile phone which we have done but nothing seems to help. Is it easy to apply for credit in aus? As we probably would once we get there to help things out, moving, possible car loan etc?

Job prospects - I myself work in the bank industry, love it. But i'd feel so much more comfortable going to Aus with a guaranteed job, something i can go into pretty much straight away instead of worrying when i get there that i cant find one and with my son and partner i dont think its something to even consider. Is there any place, website, bank etc that you can apply for jobs overseas and guarantee the job? I know my mum when she moved over sorted everything out with a hospital before she even got there, i kind of want to follow her footsteps. I think if i can get a job guaranteed, then it can give my partner some breathing space. Does anybody know what the sort of pay is? I'm basically a banking advisor, open bank accounts, loans, credit cards etc.

If anyone reading this knows any information, even if its a little bit then please forward your knowledge, we'd both love to hear from you all. Will be on this for quite a while so hope to speak to you all at one point.

thanks Jonny & Sophie

Houses in Brisbane are expensive. Banks here require deposits as well. If you can't afford one in the UK, you won't be able to afford one here.

It depends on the suburb, but I can't imagine you're going to get anything decent with 3 beds for any less than $400k.

Housing market is unsteady here, some including me believe it's going to fall further, do you really want to take out a 100% mortgage on a house that could lose value?

And thinking you can just move over with the attitude "None of this trying it out for a year or so and moving back." is perversely more likely to make you fail IMO.

I know it sounds negative, but I think you're setting yourself up for a few years of misery before your partner forces you back to the UK.

jonnyfletch89 Aug 26th 2012 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by bingobob777 (Post 10247796)
Houses in Brisbane are expensive. Banks here require deposits as well. If you can't afford one in the UK, you won't be able to afford one here.

It depends on the suburb, but I can't imagine you're going to get anything decent with 3 beds for any less than $400k.

Housing market is unsteady here, some including me believe it's going to fall further, do you really want to take out a 100% mortgage on a house that could lose value?

And thinking you can just move over with the attitude "None of this trying it out for a year or so and moving back." is perversely more likely to make you fail IMO.

I know it sounds negative, but I think you're setting yourself up for a few years of misery before your partner forces you back to the UK.

Yeah I was kind of thinking the mortgage side would probably be a no go, but thought it could possibly be a little different in Aus. We may have to just rent until we save enough to buy.

"None of this trying it out for a year or so and moving back." The only reason i said that was because we have both lived there before, I have my family there and we both have really close friends there too who came and visited us in the UK for a few months, so I kind of think if we go there in the end it will most definately be for the long term as we have already experienced it and loved it, just when we left it wasn't the right time in our lives to totally commit for the future. But now we have our son we want to start thinking of possibilities.

Do you know by any chance what the wage is for a banking advisor? or anywhere i can find out? been looking on that Seek website but it all looks a bit fake to me, so been looking on Linkedin.

I have a permanent residency visa so in a way im sorted, does anyone know what i have to do to get my partner to get one and son? as last time my partner just got one of those working holiday ones.

thanks for the reply though bob, appreciate it

PunkDebutante Aug 26th 2012 11:49 pm

I think the salary here could be anywhere from $35-$45k here depending on experience and history. Seek is definitely not fake but the role isn't usually called a banking advisor here.

Mortgages require at least 5% down plus mortgage insurance and stamp duty if you go over $500k (I think that is the level).

asprilla Aug 26th 2012 11:52 pm

wages ? have a look on seek.com.au.

Residency for your partner & son? Check the threads in the immigration section. But best of all - check the Australian immigration website. It has all the answers there..

credit history? Don't worry too much about that. If you were to move over here, you'd build that up over time.

Homeloans with a 0% deposit ? I'd steer well clear. Save up a deposit. Buy a house in a few years time instead.

Job prospects - hard question to answer. Unemployment is rising slightly. People are becoming more and more wary of the cost of living. One thing I can certainly say, is that you won't get a guaranteed job before you move.

Here are a couple of options.

a) move over and live with either your parents / or sisters, for 6 to 12 months. Find a job straight away. Find a place to rent. Save for a house deposit and buy a house a few years down the track.

b) stay in the UK. work hard and get promoted/ go for other jobs. Save money. Consider a move over in 3 to 5 yrs time, once you have more $$$ in your account and also more experience.

In your shoes I would definitely go for (b). Option (a) will be tricky, because you might find that you don't save any money in the first 2 or 3 yrs...

goldchoccycoin Aug 27th 2012 12:39 am

I have two friends that work at one of the big 4 banks over here. One is a teller/cashier the other does similar to you - opens accounts etc.

There is huge pressure from the employers on all staff to sell (loans, cards etc) and neither feel secure in their jobs. The pay is rubbish too ones 25 years old been there 4 years and earns $47K. The other a bit older and been there 6 years and earns $51K.

Both live in houseshare living arrangements as they aren't able to afford to rent alone. No chance of a mortgage on that wage range.

moneypenny20 Aug 27th 2012 2:52 am

Originally Posted by jonnyfletch89 (Post 10247802)
I have a permanent residency visa so in a way im sorted, does anyone know what i have to do to get my partner to get one and son? as last time my partner just got one of those working holiday ones.

thanks for the reply though bob, appreciate it

Your partner will have to apply for a Spouse Visa and include your son on her application. Get onto the Aus Immi Board and check out the Spouse Visa Thread. Also you'll have to download and read Booklet 1 on the DIAC site for all information required.